Zig Zag Trail

Zig Zag Trail is a 5.9 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near North Bend, Washington that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

The Zig Zag Trail is one of many unofficial trails starting on the Iron Horse Trail built and maintained by volunteers. The trailhead is at the east end of Hall Creek Bridge. The trail climbs up the east side of the Hall Creek Valley to FR 9021, also known as the Hall Creek Road. The trailhead is at the east end of Hall Creek Bridge. After 1-mile hike with 1300 feet elevation gain from Iron Horse Trail you pop out to an intersection of forest roads. From there, you can follow a forest road up to an old abandoned truck at elevation 4080 feet.

In the beginning, it was flat. But then, you hit the John Wayne trail, and it's all uphill from there. There are certain parts where it feels like you are scaling the mountain. The trail is about a foot wide until you reach a fire road, where the width switches from super wide to about a foot. The path is very over grown, as it felt like sometimes we were making our own trail. Granted, we never encountered anyone else on the trail either. The hike took very experienced cross country runners 4 hours; and honestly it wasn't totally worth it. Yes, it is very pretty, but it is so difficult that the payout was not all that rewarding. Also, the trail is about 6.7 miles, not 5.9 (just warning). Very sketchy and not likely to do again.

Good hike, pretty steep. Didn’t finish it this time so can’t speak of the view(s) on top. Soon as you get to the bridge, keep going straight UP.

the trail was easy to find with the picture of the gate already posted. The issue was there was no markings to follow. One trail followed along the stream and ended, the other trail went up to the bridge that didnt have any signs for zig zag. We went left and walked accross the bridge and say multiple rock climbers but the trail was a road. Some cool views but without the signs we didn't do the intended hike.

This trail was not clearly marked so we walked around the parking lot a little to find where it started. If you head out of the parking lot, across the main street and head to the east a little (just a few east of the creek/river) you'll see a yellow gate. That's the start of the trail. The first fork, we went left (up the stairs) and made our way up to the bridge. We didn't realize that you essentially do a U turn to the right and up and we walked along the bridges for awhile instead. We saw the trail going up when we were heading back down. Someone had carved some bark out of a tree to try to mark the trail but unless you're looking for it, it's not really noticeable. Beyond that, we didn't go up as it was already late. I will have to try this again another day.

I got to the bridge and then thought I needed to walk along the bridge path to find more of the “zig zag” trail and couldn’t find it. So, I went back to the trail and kept climbing upwards. The trail was marked as “Fall Creek Trail”.

The snow was super thick and no one else was around. I made it about 2 in 2 hours before I reached the creek and didn’t feel comfortable continuing.

While it was fun, it was not marked well. It may have been me though.

Tuesday, August 01, 2017

Steep, fun decent views of I 90... didnt see anybody else on the trail.

Sunday, July 23, 2017

Tough but great hike- took me longer than usual on the steep uphill because I was getting over a cold and it kicked my butt a little. Only 4 stars because the bugs were pretty intense- bring bug spray!- and parts of the trail were pretty overgrown. Only encountered 3 others on the hike, made it to the truck and a bit beyond where it gets a little too steep for my taste and the trail peters out- no connection to other trails that we saw. Great wildflowers in July at least. We jumped in the brook at the base on the return, definitely enjoyed our hike! We followed zig zag rather than veering to the right at the marked fork.

Monday, June 19, 2017

Beautiful hike with waterfalls and more. We veered off at Hall Creek Trail and made our way to the creek. Steep but moderate climb.

Friday, June 09, 2017

I always take the split to Hall Creek Falls. Cool little waterfall, lightly trafficked.

Wednesday, October 14, 2015

11/12/2015 (Monday) -- This is a sunny morning, though it became cloudy in the afternoon. I left the Park's parking lot at 9:00. The trailhead is just across the road as the map above shows. A poster about bear's activity in the area was stuck on the trailhead. The trail leads to the the old rail trestle across Hall Creek is marked on the map of AllTrails and OCM, but not from there upward. It is marked on the Google maps however. The trail is steep and rough, but passable. When the trail comes to an obvious fork, the left one has a small wooden board nailed on a tree trunk, reading "Zig Zag Trail", and the right (straight ahead) one is "Hall Creek Trail". I took "Zig Zag", but did not move ahead too much, may be just 0.2 miles, and then turned back, because I wanted to take a look at other trailheads of the Olallie State Park. The Zig Zap Trail is very lightly used, not well-maintained, steep and rough, and not even marked on maps. Then, I walked westward, passing the two awesome trestles, where the views were marvelous. At Deception Crag, I saw a little boy not more than 4 years old climbed with cliff with adults' guide and help. I went down from the trail there. It was a steep and rocky trail along the Change Creek, should be interesting, though short. Very few hikers, bikers, climbers on this lovely Columbus Day morning in the park, where one may also enjoy the water of South Fork Snoquamie River.

Saturday, May 23, 2015

Sunday 2-8-2015: My wife and I hiked Zig Zag Trail. The weather was mostly cloudy. We parked our car at Ollie State Park and walked along Hall Creek up to Hall Creek Bridge. The trail is steep. We popped out to an intersection of forest roads and followed one of forest roads up to an old abandoned truck. We had lunch by the truck and returned.

Sunday, July 30, 2017