Yakima Rim Loop Trail

Yakima Rim Loop Trail is a 7.3 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Selah, Washington and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, trail running, and birding and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

This trail is NOT horse friendly. I saw it had horses tagged and decided to try it out. This would be an amazing hike, but with the trail shooting straight up the hill right along the edge of a cliff it wasn’t safe for horses, especially if you have young or inexperienced ones. The trail is rocky with loose rocks in places, and with how steep the trail was and how close you are to the edge the ENTIRE time it was not a good time for my horse. I almost made it to the top before the cliff edge was just too steep, so I turned around and rode most the way down. In the loose rock places I walked. My horse and I are both very experienced and have been to many difficult mountain trails and wildernesses together, but the view and the effort is not worth it to bring livestock. I’ll probably come back to hike it, however, because it is a beautiful view of the Yakima valley and Mt. Rainier and Mt. Adams. I just won’t be doing this horseback. Oh, and the parking lot was almost full so it wasn’t horse trailer friendly, and neither is the road leading to the trailhead. Luckily I have a small two horse trailer that’s super easy to back up and maneuver so I was fine.

Goff horseback riding trail but very rocky. Great views from the top looking into Yakima Canyon!

Thursday, May 18, 2017