Wonderland Trail to Panhandle Gap

Wonderland Trail to Panhandle Gap is a 11.4 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Packwood, Washington that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from July until October.

Directions from White River Entrance: Drive westward on White River Road 3 miles to a parking area near the Fryingpan Creek bridge. The trailhead is across the road. Parking space is limited and fills early on sunny summer days. Have an alternate hike in mind in case parking space is not available.

Prepare for decent amount of snow on this trail. Especially during the last part where all you see is snow. I hiked it without ski sticks which isn't something I'd recommend as there are a few dicey spots. Needless to say it's all worth it at the top with the majestic view of Mount Rainer.

Unbelievable hike up to Panhandle! One of the best day hikes I've ever done. So many different terrains.

Not 8 miles though. About 12.5mi round trip.

Such an amazing hike to breathtaking views! It's a must-do hike! Checking from other sources and my tracking, this is about 12 miles out-and-back, not 8 miles! Regardless, it's so amazing out there that you forget how far you've hiked! Going up to Panhandle Gap, there was a lot of snow so be prepared for an adventure. I went in late July and apparently it was too early for wildflowers at this elevation...

Moderate to strenuous. Great trail, great views!

Friday, July 15, 2016

Tuesday, June 28, 2016

Sunday, June 19, 2016

Sunday, June 05, 2016

Views were spectacular! Snowy as trail ascends, but well worth it!

Saturday, June 04, 2016

Sunday, May 01, 2016

I just wanna know is that safe for me to go by myself in that trail? I never been there and I have no idea how it will be .

Wednesday, April 13, 2016

Tuesday, December 29, 2015

We started this trail at Narada Falls, walked a few tenths of a mile to the sign that gave directions to the lake (The arrows on the sign were pretty ambiguous and we were unsure if were chose the right path - we ended up being lucky). We followed the wonderland trail for 1.5 miles to reflection lake through about 6 inches of fresh snowfall and more hardened snow underneath. It was a beautiful trail with a lot of switchbacks for the first 1/2 mile that take you up the mountain. The trail levels out after that. .3 miles from the lake you cross a road and follow signs to the lake. The lake was beautiful with all the snow. The trail was tough considering it was the first trail I did with snow and was not prepared clothing or shoe-wise. The toughest part of the hike was climbing back up the steps at the falls to the parking lot on the way back.

Friday, September 04, 2015

Wednesday, August 26, 2015

Did the 1.5 extension to Panhandle Gap. The smoke was cleared enough to get a good look at Mt. Adams and spy Mt. Hood through the clouds. 12 miles round trip from trail head to top of Panhandle, with approximately 3,000 feet elevation gain.

Wednesday, August 26, 2015