Willapa Hills Trail is a 56 mile lightly trafficked point-to-point trail located near Chehalis, Washington that features a river and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 56.0 miles Elevation Gain: 1,289 feet Route Type: Point to Point

partially paved

bridge out

There are many trailheads for this trail as it crosses many roads. The path alternates between paved and gravel, so cyclists would need a mountain bike.

This is my third time biking this trail. It is perfect for a nice stroll, a family or group ride or even a fitness ride. I think the beat place to start is the trailhead at Adna High School. Lots of parking and a potty. The ride starts out for one mile paved. Then at the first bridge, the trail it compact gravel. It won’t work for road bikes. Before yesterday I used my trail bike. That was good. Yesterday I used my hybrid and it was perfect! So fun to hear the compact gravel under your tires. It is a gradual incline for your ride. I went out 8 miles and it started to rain. Coming back is a blast because it is down hill. Yesterday there were about four sections with lots of leaves. Slow down and be careful but don’t let that stop you from the trip. Views of the river and farming community. Go get it!

Fun. Saw a cow crossing. Great for family bike rides! Not so much for “hiking”

Great trail, large portion paved, the rest is compact gravel. Travels along the river through the woods, very comfortable ride.

Nice, clean trail with beautiful flowers and cool bridges. Excellent for family excursions.

Simple walk, cool bridges!

Fantastic trail for walking and biking. Horses are also allowed on the trail. There are three main trailheads which are in Chehalis, Adna, and Pe Ell. Adna and Pe Ell have large parking lots that would be great for horse trailer parking. The trail itself is paved from Chehalis to Adna, about 5.5 miles, after that it turns in to compact gravel. Plan ahead and bring your Discover Pass!!! This is required when parking at a trailhead for more than just a bathroom break. As these are considered remote trailheads, you can't purchase a day pass at the Chehalis or Adna trailhead. WA State Parks operates this trail and is currently working on improvements that will make the whole 56 mile stretch continuous. There are a few sections west of Pe Ell where a detour along highway 6 is required.

Great walking trail. My dog and I love this trail. Everyone is relatively respectful of each and friendly. I just wish people would pick up their dog poop.

Easy for family

love this place!

great multi-use trail. perfect for biking through the country without worrying about cars.

Thu Sep 20 2018

We are pulling our camping trailer, traveling on I-5, and I needed to stretch my legs, and my husband wanted a nap. We pulled off here. Lovely gravel area to park the truck and trailer. I walked an out and back. So nice! Peaceful, met only runners and walkers. No angry cyclists. Felt safe.

Wed Jul 04 2018

My wife and I rode our hybrids on this trail today. We went about 8 miles out. It is not a trail for road bikes, but is awesome for hybrids and mountain bikes. Fairly flat, paved for first 11 miles and then packed gravel. Lots of nice scenery: farms, river, very green. For a family ride or more, this is a nice trail to ride. Enjoy.

Wed Dec 13 2017

Nice paved trail

Sat Mar 04 2017

Trail is accessable at numerous spots between Chehalis and Raymond. Travels through many abandoned logging towns (Walville, Mccormick, etc.)

Fri Mar 18 2016

Great wildlife viewing!! Our two dogs loved this walk. Peaceful, quiet setting. Very friendly people all along the trail. Bicyclists were respectful of walkers. Go for it!! You'll love it!

Sat Sep 19 2015

Walked this early in the a.m. Loved it so much and it's stroller friendly!

Sun Jan 26 2014

Ack! That was supposed to say Chehalis trailhead not s***!

Tue Aug 20 2013

I hiked the Willapa Hills Trail from South Bend to Pe Ell in August 2013 with a buddy. Overall this is an interesting trail - especially if you enjoy the history of this area. Without much elevation, there are not many spectacular views but there are good views of rolling farmland and several wooded areas. Our first leg (South Bend to Lebam) was about 20 miles. Our second leg (Lebam to Pe Ell) was about 15 miles. I had to end my hike at Pe Ell due to blisters on my feet. The ballast on the trail can really beat up your feet. From South Bend to Lebam there are several stops along the trail where you can purchase food or fill up water. From Lebam to Pe Ell there is really no place to stop where you can get water or buy snacks. I'll be back to finish the trail when they fix some of the broken trestles on the Pe Ell to Chehalis leg of the trail. Some parts of the trail are in danger of being reclaimed by nature and walking on the ballast may discourage many hikers. However, the trail is an interesting part of SW Washington history and worth a look.

Sat Jul 13 2013

Have taken people here for runs and workouts. Awesome scenery, a laid back crowd. Can get crowded and dirty but someone always comes along to clean it. Smooth ride.

Mon Mar 18 2013

My review is based on bicycle trips between Chehalis and Dryad (including having to take a several mile detour around the missing bridge near Spooner road,) not just the Chehalis to Adna portion of the trail which for the most part is problem-free. (For the record, the only problems I'm aware of within the Chehalis-to-Adna segment is occasionally overgrown blackberries covering the trail, and the unsafe crossing over Highway 6 at Littell.) The description above about the trail only being "accessible from July until October" is nonsense--it's open year round. (Are you talking about the restrooms, which appear to always be locked, no matter what hour of the day or time of the year I try to use them?) Technically the trail is closed during hours of darkness, although that's not really enforceable. The unimproved trestles along the route (the easternmost one being just west of Adna) are considered moderately dangerous and are technically closed, although many cyclists walk their bikes over them anyway. This is a very beautiful scenic trail. It's level nearly the whole way, so there's no significant hills to climb. This biggest problem with this trail is that it is currently broken into various segments due to bridges having been washed out in the 2007 flood. In other places the old railway trestles are unimproved and could be considered moderately dangerous to cross. Some sections of the trail are currently covered in ballast gravel that is difficult to bicycle on. Improving the whole trail is a work in progress. The end of the trail near Chehalis is nicely paved and features various improvements including ample parking, rest areas, good signage, decking and safety rails on the trestles, and a bicycle-friendly railway crossing where it meets the tracks still in use by the steam train. I give this trail three stars rather than five due to the improvements still required, and due to the most scenic portions of the trail being hard to reach, due to the conditions of the various missing or unimproved bridges, and the undesirability of taking long detours around them. This review not valid after 2014, as the worst of these problems are scheduled to be fixed by them!

Sun Sep 11 2011

This is a neat trail with some really pretty restored bridges. We headed out there hoping to bike 10 miles at least one way but had to stop at 6 as one bridge is missing altogether & there's no getting across the canyon. The trail does pick up right on the other side and we'll try that in a separate trip.