White Pass Pilot Ridge Loop Trail

White Pass Pilot Ridge Loop Trail is a 30.9 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Darrington, Washington that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Great trail but easily could be a difficult designation. The hike up to white pass is no joke. Great views on clear days, definitely a must do hike...

Day one from trailhead to White Pass is a hard push up, up, up through endless switchbacks. I was rewarded with the most awesome spring trickling down the mountain as I reached the Pacific Crest Trail. The campsite was buggy, so my $1.50 mosquito head net was totally worth it, Wearing long sleeves and long pants were also necessary due to biting flies. However, the temperature was about 70 degrees despite being 91 degrees down in Darrington.
Day 2 was my favorite due to plentiful wild flowers still in bloom and tons of marmots scrambling along directly on the trail. We never had to filter water at the stagnant ponds; there were trickling springs at multiple spots. There is a good one immediately after leaving the PCT and heading towards Pilot Ridge. We took the high route to Blue Lake. It is a strenuous, fully exposed hike, but doable. We only lost the trail at the very top for a bit. We easily re-found the trail. (I would NOT do this route in snow.) The camp sites are good. The lake is beautiful. It was refreshing to soak my feet.
On Day 3, we totally missed the trail leaving Blue Lake, because there are many crisscrossing trails through camp.. We had heard of this based on reviews on other websites and we STILL missed the trail. This is where Alltrails SAVED me. I was recording the route on my phone. I could see where I was and where I was supposed to be. We just headed in the direction we needed to go across a random wild flower laden mountainside. We could not see the trail until we were five feet from it. So again, the Alltrails app saved me. The rest of the day was not very spectacular. It is mostly just a lot of downward hiking. When you reach the river at the bottom, there is not bridge -- jsut fallen logs. When you cross the logs, there is no trail up to the trail that takes you home. You have to bushwack your your way to the trail.

Tuesday, March 14, 2017

This was sure a great backpacking adventure with beautiful views of the mountain range