Learn more

Whitaker Peak and Shy Bear Loop Trail to Doughty Falls

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray Star(56)
Cougar Mountain Regional Wildland Park

Whitaker Peak and Shy Bear Loop Trail to Doughty Falls is a 5.5 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Renton, Washington that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and bird watching and is best used from March until October.

Length 5.5 mi Elevation gain 1,617 ft Route type Loop
Photos (737)
Recordings (53)
Completed (249)
Jo Ann Henderson
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 7, 2020
HikingGreat!

Went for a hike today. Starts 10:30am, still have plenty of space and not crowded at all. It can be steep going up from the parking lot until u hit 1mile and it should be pretty easy. Read the signage carefully so you don’t get lost.

Sergej Wladimirov
Yellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarAugust 27, 2020
Running

27Aug2020 - Ok, this is going to sound crazy but please bear with me... decided to do a nice early trail run, 6am start, the first time I was going to do this section of Cougar Mountain. I was about 20 minutes in when I was being hit in the back of my head. I immediately looked back, left, right, up, down... nothing, NOTHING!!! It totally freaked me out. For a split second I thought to continue but this was just to crazy... I turned around and run down and about 10 seconds later a force pulled my cap of my head... again I looked in all directions and again NOTHING!!! Even my cap was gone, I backtracked a few steps to see if I could see my cap somewhere but it was gone....! (Its a white/Blue Oilers Hockey cap, let me know if you find it, it’s my favorite). I ran back down to the car and got out of there..... Now, I am not a big believer of ghost and paranormal activity, but this got me thinking. I still can’t believe what happend!? Been browsing the internet for any other haunted stories on Cougar Mt but can’t find anything beside the history of the mine.... Has anyone experienced or heard of something similar? It is very surreal and scares me to go back alone on early mornings... why was ‘it’ hostile.....? Anyway, not your typical trip report but if these things interest you, try to go out there by yourself in the early morning hours...

Andrea Forderer
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarAugust 23, 2020
View Andrea's Recording
franchesca rivera
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMay 30, 2020
HikingBugs

Went today (5/29/20) and the trail was in great shape. A few muddy spots from the rain earlier this week but dry otherwise. I ended up going counter clockwise and I think that made the hike more difficult because there was more uphill hiking than downhill but once you get past the first few miles it's easy. I think the AllTrails states are a little off. Completing this trail from start to finish as mapped with only a few very minor detours, my fitbit said I hiked a total of a little over 7 miles with a total elevation gain on 1954 feet. It was a bit more than I had planned on but it was worth it. I felt accomplished and there was some cool rock formations to see. It was a good workout I will definitely hike this one again.

Crystal Bailar
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarFebruary 26, 2020
HikingMuddy

Beautiful hike! The road noise is a bit loud for the first and last mile or so. But overall it was a very pleasant hike

View Crystal's Recording
Michael Barnes
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJanuary 11, 2020
HikingMuddy

Decent hike. Signage is great and trail is easy to follow. Trails are well maintained. Parking lot is small but able to squeeze in. Very muddy today, which I'm ok with. Glad I had my trekking poles. Usually don't use but saved me a couple times from a mud bath.

Kristina Grundmanis
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarNovember 16, 2019
Hiking

Slippery trail with forest views

View Kristina's Recording
Nancy McKee
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarJuly 24, 2019
Hiking

Great forested trail with beautiful ferns, bridges and boardwalks. We accidentally took a wrong turn and didn’t get to the highest peak but it was still 6 miles according to Garmin. It was overcast with a slight breeze which was perfect to offset the humidity. Most creeks were dry except for a small trickle here and there. The falls were dry. We left at 845 and only saw a couple people pass us at the beginning and end. Great workout and beautiful setting. No bugs but lots of thin spider webs.

Katie G
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarMay 29, 2018
First to Review

The entrance to the parking lot is a bit steep and has a large pot hole so make sure to slow down as you enter off the turn. We took the trail clockwise and were happy we did since the descent was steeper than ascent. The loop was about 6.4 miles and 1709 elevation gain. Our map said Long View Peak had a viewpoint, but we didn't seem to find it (our map was also dated 2014). Unfortunately, Doughty Falls was dry so there was no waterfall, but Cabbage Creek was gradually flowing. Made it to Wilderness Peak which had a cute wooden bench to sit down and rest. Please note there is no lookout from Wilderness Peak. Lots of gnats near the bench rest stop so we didn't stay long since we didn't have bug spray. Beautiful ferns throughout the hike and several wooden bridges to cross. Great workout and a well-maintained trail, enjoy!

Upa Gupta
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSeptember 4, 2020
View Upa's Recording
Julio Gonzalez
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarAugust 23, 2020
View Julio's Recording
Julia Szczepanski
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarAugust 22, 2020
View Julia's Recording
Luke Hankins
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJuly 25, 2020
View Luke's Recording
Dallas Stafford
Yellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarJuly 23, 2020
Nic Werner
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarJune 27, 2020
View Nic's Recording
Divij Vaidya
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarJune 21, 2020
View Divij's Recording
Sara Kammermeier
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarApril 6, 2020
View Sara's Recording
Clifford Stocks
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarApril 4, 2020
View Clifford's Recording
David Manica
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarMarch 8, 2020
View David's Recording
Elisr Purcell
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMarch 7, 2020
View Elisr's Recording
Amanda Dowd
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarFebruary 9, 2020
View Amanda's Recording
Igor Bugayev
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarDecember 15, 2019
View Igor's Recording
George Potter
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarDecember 10, 2019
View George's Recording
Lisa ohara
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarNovember 29, 2019
View Lisa's Recording
Alexandra Berlet
View Alexandra's Recording
Elisr Purcell
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarOctober 23, 2019
View Elisr's Recording
Kristen Austin
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarOctober 18, 2019
View Kristen's Recording
Fei Peng
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarOctober 6, 2019
View Fei's Recording
Dug Dig
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarOctober 5, 2019
View Dug's Recording
Vikas Tomar
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarOctober 5, 2019
View Vikas's Recording