West Tiger #1 Via Preston Trail

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray Star(46)
Tiger Mountain State Forest

West Tiger #1 Via Preston Trail is a 8.2 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Issaquah, Washington that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, running, and nature trips and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 8.2 miles Elevation Gain: 2,814 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Forested, steep trail following ridge line to view from West Tiger #1

icy

Beautiful view at the top, but extremely confusing and difficult to get there. The signs are not consistent and are very difficult to understand. If you want to do this hike, I’d strongly suggest doing a lot of research first so that you don’t get lost, and leave plenty early so that you don’t have to hike down in the dark. Did this hike with my roommate today and it ended up taking 7 hours, and we got lost many times (we both hike often and usually don’t have a problem with directions). Please be safe and careful on this hike!

Great little winter hike! We took the Lingering Trail to the Preston Trail, then went to the Hiker's Hut viewpoint. The trail was well-signed and there was a lot of variety all along the route. The trail head had a lot of nice frost around it, then we got the typical moss, and finally some snow at the top. We didn't need cramp-ons or spikes to reach it. There were some cute birds at the top and great views of Rainier and the valley below. All in all, an awesome hike! I would say we went around 9.5 miles by doing the Lingering Trail.

I would rate this hike between moderate and hard. The accent is essentially all up hill which can be tiresome but it is all shaded. There are tons of bugs so highly recommend bug spray and even saw one snake. The view at the top is awesome and makes for some good pics. To get on the trail go thru the tent city. Took us a little over 4 hours and we are avid hikers. 7/21/19

Mon May 13 2019

Great hike- somewhat hard. You can see by the map we didn’t stay in the planned route- kind of wackadoodle-A map is definitely needed. We took a few trails that were on the map, but not well maintained, and a little hard to follow. One area was washed out but passable. The day started cold and wet, we hiked in the clouds and the views were non-existent. But coming down from View point #1 - the clouds move out and the sun shone bright. We ran into very few people, a couple of trail runners and 4 hiking pairs.- it was a lovely, often rigorous, peaceful hike.

Sat May 11 2019

Nice trail

Sun Mar 24 2019

Sun Sep 16 2018

If you’re looking for mountain solitude, this is great hike. I rarely see other hikers on this trail. Take exit 20 from I90 East and park near the homeless camp, Hop the gate and catch the Tiger Mountain Trail. Take the Lingering Trail until you reach the Preston Trail then follow that up the mountain. The last section is steep, muddy, and not well marked. Near the top you’ll see a trail to your right. Follow that and you’ll reach another trail that leads to the summit and viewpoint. You’ll also see the Hiker’s Hut there. A good map is a plus!

Sat Dec 09 2017

Tue Aug 08 2017

The signage is very confusing on this trail. I think it should be rated Hard.

Sun Jun 25 2017

I love this trail.. it's perfect for people who seek solitude. It's a bit confusing at first, with the tent city set up, but just hop over the gate and walk through and you'll get to the trail fairly quickly. From the high point trail, make sure you take the lingering trail.. I actually run on this trail quite often. The last time I did, I saw a black bear. We stared at each other, and both scared each other and I tripped and fell, as he ran off. It was quite funny actually. This trail has very little traffic, which in my opinion is why I saw the bear. I highly recommend carrying bear spray and making plenty of noise if you are by yourself. This is rated as moderate, but there are some parts that remind me of the cable line trail... it's definitely a good workout. The views at the hiker's hut aren't the greatest, but on a clear day you'll see Rainier in all its glory. I love Tiger mountain because you have so many options of taking different trails and making interesting loops. It's a trail runner's paradise!

Sat Apr 22 2017

4/21/2017 (Friday) - With Wai, 9:15 - 3:30, 55-65F, sunny, light traffic, good condition. Start from Exit 18, Adventure - High School - Section Line - WT3 - WT2 - WT1 (lunch) - Bypass - Preston - WTRR - TMT - Lingering - High Point. From WT1, we saw many gliding parachutes from PPP, with Squak Mts in the backdrop. This is a rare fine day in a wet spring, beautiful weather, but Mt Rainier is still partly covered by clouds. Section Line is steep indeed, and the trails down are very gentle and all in good condition. Next time, I should take Preston fully to its bottom.

Mon Apr 10 2017

Headed out early to hit this trail. Unable to get to trailhead as a result of a pop up tent city which has the road closed...

Sun Jul 10 2016

Parked by the Tent City. Trails were poorly marked, dense over growth, not very impresive views. We made it to "POO TOP POINT" or something, which was a road with a fenced off radio tower and building at the top. Saw 3 people over the 9 mile hike that day, so it was quiet which was the only bonus. Saw a black-tail deer too. Going up was tough, especially at the end. I forgot my phone at home so I don't have gps data to share, it wouldn't look like the one on here.

Sun Apr 19 2015

My wife and I hiked to West Tiger Mountain No. 1 from High Point Trailhead. The trailhead is now shared with Tent City 4. We hiked Lingering Trail, Tiger Mountain Trail, Railroad Grade, Preston Trail, Bypass Trail to Hiker's Hut View Point. The Bypass Trail is partially blocked by a massive blowdown. We walked on logs and my wife fell and scraped her leg. We had lunch at Hiker's Hut and moved on to West Tiger 2 via the service road. We descended via West Tiger 2 Trail, Tiger Mountain Trail, and High Point Trail back to High Point Trailhead.

Tue Nov 18 2014

Makes for an amazing hike, especially when linked with West Tiger Two, Three, or East Tiger. It is just far enough out that not too many people go here. Most people go to West Tiger Three for some reason, it is definitely the least fun of the three west peaks. The trails are well marked but still adventurous. Hikers Hut can be found near the peak and features an amazing view of Mt. Rainier and the surrounding area.