West Side Japanese Gulch Trail

West Side Japanese Gulch Trail is a 3.2 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Mukilteo, Washington that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

peaceful and enjoyable small hike foe beginners. A few hilly areas, very minor. Could be muddy deoending on to be of year, I went during march, super muddy but still extremely enjoyable.

We ended up taking the long way around. About 1 mile to be exact. I guess we missed a turn. LoL
We had a great time anyways.

Trail is confusing, not very maintained this time of year, many spots to climb over the fallen trees to keep going, and quite muddy. all these reasons could make it horrible for someone who cares about that stuff. it added to the fun for me. it was beautiful. true nature is unmaintained. however I was a little confused on what ways to go when the trail would fork off, and was alone, so cautious of being lost. Bring carrots, you just might meet a bunny! :)

3.2 mile loop. 705 ft elevation. Moderate+ hike. Definitely wet/muddy. Starts out with a gravel path along railroad tracks. Stream was nice to see. Boeing flight path an added bonus. Saw a Delta plane fly over 4+ times. Some great views of sound and Whidbey Island near the last mile.

Any one who says this is an easy hike for all levels makes me question if they did the actual loop with the 600+ foot elevation gain. There are a lot of trails out there (like so many areas in the PNW). I'm in moderately decent shape and this hike brought my 10 day/4 hike total to 12 miles, with 3 of the 4 falling into the moderate category. This solidly falls into moderate.

If you're doing the full loop on the map you'll starting off heading to the left of the dog park, on a gravel road/trail. I'm not a fan of such chunky gravel so I probably wouldn't do this one again because it made up about a third of the trail. I'm not sure if what we saw was an actual waterfall but the stream was lovely.

When you get to a pretty obvious end of the gravel trail you head up left through a white gate and that puts you on a proper muddy northwest wooded trail. It also puts you directly under the Boeing flight path. I think 6-8 planes flew over us on the way back.

I believe there were two downed trees on this part. At approximately mile 2.5 and another near the end. In fall/winter this trail is very muddy so wear sturdy shoes/boots.

Nice hike, great for all skill levels. Easy to get lost even following the map online. Many side trails along the main trail. We entered through the West side of the Gulch which was a better workout with incline. Nice stream and mini waterfall. My mini Schnauzer hiked with us and he loved it too, well maintained. Only down fall there are no signs took keep you on the "loop"

Saturday, September 24, 2016

Easy to get lost but nice fun little hike.

Saturday, September 10, 2016

Tuesday, September 06, 2016

Good hike, nice scenery, however in an earlier review the person says the path comes to a "y" and to take a left to go down to the falls.... We didn't read this ahead of time, so we took a right... The trail is not marked, and there are a lot of crisscrossing paths and "y's" along the way. We ended up on about a 4 1/2 mile hike, and had to use the GPS to navigate our way back to the car. all in all it was a good hike....took about an hour and a half to two hours. Itwould be nice if the trail was marked a little bit better.