West Side Japanese Gulch Trail

West Side Japanese Gulch Trail is a 3.2 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Mukilteo, Washington that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

I thought this would be a quick easy hike for me. I left my phone in the car since it was right in town. Big mistake. Once up in the trees I quickly realized how many different trails there were. I started to panic because I couldn't find my way back. My dog was getting anxious because he was feeding off of my anxiety. I heard cars, planes, etc. but I was lost. Eventually I found my way down. Lesson learned...be prepared no matter how easy you think a trail will be.

peaceful and enjoyable small hike foe beginners. A few hilly areas, very minor. Could be muddy deoending on to be of year, I went during march, super muddy but still extremely enjoyable.

We ended up taking the long way around. About 1 mile to be exact. I guess we missed a turn. LoL
We had a great time anyways.

Trail is confusing, not very maintained this time of year, many spots to climb over the fallen trees to keep going, and quite muddy. all these reasons could make it horrible for someone who cares about that stuff. it added to the fun for me. it was beautiful. true nature is unmaintained. however I was a little confused on what ways to go when the trail would fork off, and was alone, so cautious of being lost. Bring carrots, you just might meet a bunny! :)

Monday, December 05, 2016

Any one who says this is an easy hike for all levels makes me question if they did the actual loop with the 600+ foot elevation gain. There are a lot of trails out there (like so many areas in the PNW). I'm in moderately decent shape and this hike brought my 10 day/4 hike total to 12 miles, with 3 of the 4 falling into the moderate category. This solidly falls into moderate.

If you're doing the full loop on the map you'll starting off heading to the left of the dog park, on a gravel road/trail. I'm not a fan of such chunky gravel so I probably wouldn't do this one again because it made up about a third of the trail. I'm not sure if what we saw was an actual waterfall but the stream was lovely.

When you get to a pretty obvious end of the gravel trail you head up left through a white gate and that puts you on a proper muddy northwest wooded trail. It also puts you directly under the Boeing flight path. I think 6-8 planes flew over us on the way back.

I believe there were two downed trees on this part. At approximately mile 2.5 and another near the end. In fall/winter this trail is very muddy so wear sturdy shoes/boots.

Monday, October 10, 2016

Nice hike, great for all skill levels. Easy to get lost even following the map online. Many side trails along the main trail. We entered through the West side of the Gulch which was a better workout with incline. Nice stream and mini waterfall. My mini Schnauzer hiked with us and he loved it too, well maintained. Only down fall there are no signs took keep you on the "loop"

Saturday, September 24, 2016

Easy to get lost but nice fun little hike.

Tuesday, September 06, 2016

Good hike, nice scenery, however in an earlier review the person says the path comes to a "y" and to take a left to go down to the falls.... We didn't read this ahead of time, so we took a right... The trail is not marked, and there are a lot of crisscrossing paths and "y's" along the way. We ended up on about a 4 1/2 mile hike, and had to use the GPS to navigate our way back to the car. all in all it was a good hike....took about an hour and a half to two hours. Itwould be nice if the trail was marked a little bit better.

Tuesday, August 23, 2016

I think we may have gotten a bit lost, or the trail is supposed to loop and you end up back on the trial that you already walked on; either way we enjoyed the scenery.

Saturday, June 25, 2016

Loved it❤❤❤

Saturday, June 25, 2016

Fun day

Friday, June 24, 2016

Lovely

Sunday, May 08, 2016

This was an easy hike in comparison to Bridal Veils, Cherry Creek, and Twin Falls. 5 minutes into the hike you'll reach a fork. If you go left, you'll see the "waterfall" and then you can loop around back to the dog park. Not sure that I would call that a waterfall. That way was just under 2 miles. There's some heavy construction going on there as well.

Friday, March 04, 2016

Very muddy, right by a busy road so be careful leaving dogs off leash. The river is pretty and there's a dirt road trail and more of an actual trail. Lots of dogs because it does start at a dog trail, would be great for biking as well

Friday, May 08, 2015

Not a bad hike, but you'll definitely get lost. It starts out by a dog park, which I took my dog to once we were done trying to find our way out. There are just a ton of different random trails to take once you are deeper in these woods. About five minutes into it I saw down below a little waterfall and gravel path, but couldn't figure out how to get down there. Ran into a few bikers and most of these trails are so narrow and overgrown they look like they are only for bikers. We ended up behind some houses and then eventually to the gravel path next to the railroad and a creek, which will take you back to the dog park. So technically this does loop around. I enjoyed it, would do it again, but not great if your dog is out of shape or old (if you bring one).

Sunday, June 22, 2014

I went into this trail thinking it loops around (which it probably does some where). At the trail head it suggest taking a map, and I strongly suggest doing so IF there is one! First it follows a creek, then you jump close to the train tracks, eventually there is a beautiful mini waterfall and creek with additional trailing to follow. This is where a map would be handy. Once you are actually in the forest area there are trails on trails on trails. No signs to direct you where to go or how to get out. It really is not for the directionally challenged. Good elevation gain in a lot of that area, not a lot of views once you are inside. Unless you know where you are going I'd suggest the buddy system, and possibly researching a map for the trails so you don't get lost. Also dog friendly.

3.2 mile loop. 705 ft elevation. Moderate+ hike. Definitely wet/muddy. Starts out with a gravel path along railroad tracks. Stream was nice to see. Boeing flight path an added bonus. Saw a Delta plane fly over 4+ times. Some great views of sound and Whidbey Island near the last mile.