Weldon Wagon Road Trail

Weldon Wagon Road Trail is a 4.4 mile out and back trail located near White Salmon, Washington that features beautiful wild flowers. The trail is rated as moderate and primarily used for hiking. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Ticks and poison oak! Only made it a mile in (hiking with a three year old), and my dog had two ticks on him before we made it back to our car. Huge buggers, might I add. We all had bug spray on us as well, and this apparently did not deter them. I will not be returning to finish the hike like I had hoped.

I am giving this hike 5 stars only because of the stunning rolling hills covered with yellow wildflowers “Carey’s Balsamroot”. Signs to get to the actual trail were not the best... we ended up getting a little lost and driving to what it looked like something out of the set of “Pet Cemetery”
We started the trail from India creek instead of Sandborn Rd not by choice but bc that is what “All Trails” had us do,
Overall a fun hike with my friends, sun and a little drizzle at the end.

We arrived at the back entrance via Indian Creek road. Take note of the entrance — it’s a farm gate that is closed on the Right. You have gone too far if you hit the cemetery.
Go towards the gate and Go around it. It is not well marked at all. Trust your map.
The road starts out on a “Fire Road” and brings you to the start of the trail begins about 600 yards up in R . Turn Right - you’ll see a Little sign.

The start of the hike is expected , but lovely. Old oak treats and grassy hillsides.

You will get a great great surprise as you come out of this part of the path to a hillside. You will enter into a cornucopia of “Carey’s Balsam Root” flowers all over the hillside —- Just unbelievably gorgeous!

Continue on and enjoy. Breathtaking. - Make your way all the way to the start of the trail at the intersection of Sandborn Road .

High recommend d when the flowers are blooming.

Good hike through Oregon oak. Amazing fews on a clear day, today wasnt one of those days. Clouds were dropping and we met some light snow at the highest part of the trail. Near the end of the trail you will meet private property. The trail just stops. Last quarter of a mile can be skipped easily.

A peaceful hike in one of those weird transition zones of the gorge where the environment kinda blends west & east, which I happen to find interesting. I give the hike 3 stars for that +1 for the solitude and +1 if the wildflowers are out. If those don't matter to you, adjust rating accordingly.

For those afraid of heights, beware - eventually the narrow path traverses some semi-exposed slopes. A well-graded trail; not very steep. But all those No Trespassing signs you see when you follow the trail to the end into the deep dark woods? A little awkward. Be sure to get directions for the trailhead since it's not well signed. Didn't notice any washouts (which someone mentioned below).

A short but lovely hike over the hills to the east of the White Salmon river valley. The hillsides are strewn with wildflowers in May and June, and sunny days provide a fantastic view of Mount Hood to the south.

A steady incline with cool views. Fun for the dog.

Sunday, May 21, 2017

Lots of wildflowers. Peaceful and gorgeous.

Sunday, April 23, 2017

Great hike! Out (uphill) and back (downhill) with superb views. No crowds. Dog ran loose most of time. Check for ticks when finished. Our dog had a lot.

Monday, April 17, 2017

Beautiful views! Trail head wasn't very well marked, but was definitely worth the drove from Portland. Kept our dogs off leash the whole way, wasn't too strenuous.

Friday, November 25, 2016

The trail is unpleasantly in poor condition and is periodically washed out. Not that nice of a hike. Not what I'd call a good time. Oh, and someone's been using the side of the trail as a bathroom, toilet paper and all. I do not recommend.

Saturday, April 02, 2016

Great hike through Oregon oak. The end goes near private property and the absolute end takes you to a spruce tree patch and basically just stops. Turning around with a quarter mile to go wouldn't be the worst idea. Splendid views of the valley and surrounding peaks.

Monday, March 02, 2015

This was an awesome hike. I went on a sunny Sunday afternoon and was surprised to see so many people (but not crowded by any means). From children to elderly as well as mountain bikers this trail great for all types. I took my dog (who has sore feet) and she was able to complete this trail. Remember to bring water for yourself and your pup.

As others I was extremely confused towards the end of the trail. It leads to private property and I ended up getting chased out before I could figure out where to go. I'd definitely go back at try to get to the actual end though.

Beautiful valley views that make you feel on top of the world with Mt. Hood peaking out at you.

Thursday, May 29, 2014

We loved this hike - beautiful wild flowers, although we we were a little too late to see the blooms of the balsam root which would have been spectacular. Great views of the valley and of Mt. Hood, plus two types of forest trails.

Sunday, January 05, 2014

I was concerned about finding a nice trail to hike in early January. This one met and surpassed my expectations. Its exposure to the south made it an enjoyable hike, despite the chilly temperatures. The gradient is easy and suitable for all. A minor gripe: the trailhead sign at the end of the 4x4 road is a little confusing... the arrow should be pointing to the right instead of straight up... no biggie.

recorded Weldon Wagon Road Trail