Spring Sale! Get a year of AllTrails Pro for only $14.99
Get Started
Learn more

Weatherwax Trail is a 1.2 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Ocean Shores, Washington that features a lake. The trail is good for all skill levels and primarily used for hiking, walking, and birding. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 1.2 miles Elevation Gain: 13 feet Route Type: Loop

Saw four deer in a matter of 20 minutes! Beautiful.

Beautiful trail!

Nice little forest walk. Only two peaks at lake.

Short trail that felt more like a woodland area. Easily accessible for kids.

This is for clamming when we stayed at Quinault.

So beautiful, serene and green. We saw two deer and ate wild huckleberries.

Sat Mar 16 2019

This is a beautiful little trail. The ground underneath your feet feels like almost spongy. It’s a very easy trail to do but the Mas around is spectacular to look at. Today was 60° and no wind. Not even a coat. :-)

Tue Aug 14 2018

Pretty cool! Very simple easy walk. Perfect for kids, dogs, etc.

Thu Aug 02 2018

This is a beautiful trail that I introduce everyone to that visits me in Ocean Shores. The lake, the trees, and the occasional deer can create a mindful stroll or get people new to hiking excited about it. if you are in Ocean Shores I strongly encourage taking a walk in Weatherwax.

Tue Jul 24 2018

Did this trail with my sister and 1 year old niece. My niece absolutely loved it! The trail is beautiful. We even saw a deer! This was our first trail and it inspired us to start doing trails all over together!

Sun Jun 17 2018

Easy trail. Wish it was longer, but nice for a quick hike through the area. You get a good sense of the forest landscape before Ocean Shores was developed.

Sun Mar 04 2018

Pretty area. Quiet peaceful walk through the woods.

Sun Aug 27 2017

Lovely trail on a hot sunny day

Thu Apr 27 2017

I love this trail and did it multiple times on a recent trip. It can be a loop or an out-and-back depending on the route you take. So peaceful, lots of birds, have seen deer!

Wed Apr 26 2017

Nice, easy, green. Has 2 nice views of the river. Saw a deer!

Thu Feb 23 2017

not well marked and too much service road

Wed Nov 09 2016

I like this trail very much. I hiked it multiple times because it's so close to my house. It's perfect for a relaxing walk.

Sun Aug 21 2016

Trail was a fun little hike! Super Easy! Even found a little spot to sit down and have a picnic by the lake!!

Fri Aug 05 2016

Ok trail. Saw 2 deer

Thu Jul 07 2016

Nice short little hike. Fairly even trails.

Thu Jun 16 2016

It's a beautiful trail.

Thu Jun 02 2016

This little trail felt like a hidden world in the middle of town. Very easy, well worn, flat trail. Great walk/hike after breakfast or before lunch.

Fri Mar 25 2016

A great little trail if you just want to get a small hike in. Nothing to crazy about it, but for some reason it just feels great and like another world from the crowds.

Mon Dec 07 2015

this trail is like a fairy realm, all mossy trees and leafy bowers. There are a couple of lovely benches along the way and some nice look-outs over the water. Plus, dogs (on leashes) welcome.

Tue Mar 04 2014

My wife and I have been coming to Ocean Shores every Feburary for 10 years now and have always wanted to walk on the Weatherwax Trail. We finally did today and boy have we been missing out. First, this trail is a lot longer than 1/2 mile, If you walk the whole trail, in and out all of the trail branches, I would guess it's closer to 1 1/2 or even close to 2 miles. We spent 2 hrs walking along the trail today. The sun was out and would shine through from time to time making an amazing view. The views of Duck Lake along the main N/S straight away are very cool, but in my opinion, the best part was walking along E/W side trails. This is where all of the elevation gain/loss takes place and where you get to walk over fallen trees, under low branches and up/down steep hills. It was hard to believe that on the Ocean Shores peninsula which is pretty flat sandy land that this true forest was just in the middle of it all. This is a must do, but don't avoid the E/W trails. NOTE: One of the side trails from the parking lot to just before the Northern most bench, we could not find (between main entrance and first bench) and the entrance by the parking lot was totally overgrown. did not walk that part.