Memorial Day Sale! Get a year of AllTrails Pro for only $14.99
Get Started

Waterworks Canyon Trail [CLOSED]

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray Star(37)
Tieton, Washington

Waterworks Canyon Trail is a 4.2 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Tieton, Washington that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and bird watching and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 4.2 miles Elevation Gain: 1,456 feet Route Type: Out & Back

closed

NOTE: It has been reported this trail has temporary closures due to COVID-19. Please see the park's website for up to date information.

closed

Technically closed. Nice views! Lots of snakes. Be careful.

Not the best walking trail. Immediate incline. No shade. No great views. Saw a snake about .5 miles in. Trail not well marked.

It’s closed! Tried to go today. Sorry folks!

Gorgeous hike with many flowers out in March! Unique plants and stunning views at the top of the ridge. Many birds and butterflies too. At the end of the canyon you can turn right straight uphill and get to an amazing view of Adams and Rainier. When you get to nearing the end of the canyon, you may think the trail putters out, but you can look right and go straight up a rocky hill to get up the ridge. We did an out and back after we got to the top even though I think you can do a big loop. I heard from someone on the trail that the way down the top of the ridge seemed unsafe.

Walked this trail late February. Nice hike with really cool rock structures to look at and some good views. Trail is narrow in some areas, but not dangerous. Very small parking lot.

Great hike. Just watch footing, loose rocks. Found a couple of ticks on my dogs when we got home.

Nice trail and interesting hike

Better-than-expected and well worth the effort. I would not want to do this hike in the summer—I think it is a late fall, winter, early spring hike. Amazing basalt formations and a surprisingly large aspen grove.

Beautiful fall colors, lots of big horn sheep on the hillsides.

Tue Jul 03 2018

This was not what we expected! The trail is about 18" wide and about a half mile in it crosses through extremely heavy vegetation, which we were not comfortable traveling through. Due to this we chose to turn back because of the large amount of bugs and spiders. I agree with the other reviews indicating the path is loose shale and not real stable or maintained. experienced hikers recommended. I would also recommend hiking pants, as the high weeds and grasses left us pretty itchy!

Sun Apr 30 2017

Wild flowers are out and gorgeous. Sound of the creek was relaxing. Saw some Turkey Vultures.

Mon Apr 10 2017

All the snow was cleared out and everything was green! The creek was flowing! Parked in the discover pass parking lot about a minute off the 12 at waterworks canyon, climbed through the gate, and headed east towards the creek and onto the other side of the creek. Then scrambled up for about an hour, sometimes on a game trail, sometimes just winging it. No snakes today. Saw 17 mountain goats, 18 deer, and 8 big horn sheep!

Tue Mar 14 2017

always a great season opener hike. still some snow up high but very doable. couldn't find the cache at the top but we did find some trekking poles in parking lot

Mon May 18 2015

Wanted to let everyone know this is a hike you might run into rattlesnakes on. Just did it today and on the way out got trapped by a very big one, couldn't go to the right because there was a gate and didn't want to go to the left because there was a little drop off with grass and we were worried there might be another snake. Followed us up the path every time we would take a few steps back it would come 5 feet towards us. Anyways be safe! Other then that the hike was okay

Wed Apr 15 2015

Tried to find this trail with my sister, we came across a area that looked like a start of one, but then it disappeared. How do you find this ??

Thu Jun 19 2014

I believe the other name for this is Clemen Mountain (that is if you decide to hike up the mountain). The canyon itself is pretty interesting- if you get off the trail. There are some pretty phenomenal rock formations!

Fri May 10 2013

I was just up there and I couldn't find a full trail. You have to climb through a fence and up a steep hill to find what looks like a starting point. I would like to redo it since it is close to home but I will have to find out where the trail is exactly and the map it for other to follow.

Wed Apr 17 2013

A good spring / fall hike. Usually see a few big horn sheep every time I go. Pack plenty of water in the summer months.