Lake Washington Watertower, South Ridge, Beach and North Trail Loop

Lake Washington Watertower, South Ridge, Beach and North Trail Loop is a 2.2 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Kenmore, Washington that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 2.2 miles Elevation Gain: 442 feet Route Type: Loop

beach

Discover Pass required at Saint Edward SP.

medium-high difficulty trail, dog friendly. lots of slopes and muddy trail currently. starts high, goes low mid-trail. beautiful views right at the waterfront.

Pretty hike, pretty simple. Really pretty when you get along the waterfront but the trail is pretty narrow and there are lots of people. Parking cost $10 so we parked offsite.

Pros: super close to the city. Fun playground for kids, lots of options for hiking. Absolutely beautiful scenery and waterfront with lots of options for exploring and getting wet and muddy. Fun logs to climb! My kids had a blast! Lots of bathrooms Cons: super crowded, you will probably never be out of the view of other people. Can get muddy. Parking lot is often full. Does require Discovery Pass

fee

Discovery Pass required. While this trail is marked "easy," there are a plethora of routes within this park that are much more challenging and require sure-footedness that we would rate as "difficult." Check the site map for these routes based on your skill level; there are many around the parking area. Beautiful sites along the entire route abound including the historic St. Edwards Seminary. There are several picnic areas and a huge playground for kids of all ages. Dogs on leash are okay. Enjoy!

Went down the North trail and back up on the seminary trail, easier for beginners :) beautiful fall colors going counterclockwise.

Lots of great bike trails, but those listed on All Trails connect into hiker only ones. Great park, but you may be disappointed if you’re keeping only to the All Trails maps.

Nice walk on a sunny fall day. Very little mud and beautiful views

Nice Family hike.

Nice walk along the lake. Amazing playground for the kids on the route!

it was very pretty when we went down to the beach area. But man this was a hard one at points. There were so many roots sticking up my friend and I almost tripped on most of them. and when going down at a very intense incline with all the roots and it was slippery, was kind hard.

It was definitely not an easy hike. I’m starting and not in the best shape and had trouble with the incline/roots. Views were amazing and I plan to try it again when I have a few more trails under my belt.

I enjoyed this trail. Definitely more in the moderate category. There were tough sections for somebody starting out and in not such great shape (like me). Overall, enjoyable, especially the parts along the water.

Down the north trail to the waterfront is pleasant and easy. Up the south loop is strenuous at first then fairly easy for the remainder. Scenic wooded trail all the way.

Definitely more moderate than easy, which was disappointing when I wanted something easy. Views were okay. I didn’t enjoy the steepness in some area and the narrow trails.

A great day trail I would definitely do it again but with caution, The South Ridge trail (ranked Most Difficult by Washington State Parks), I wouldn’t recommend that part of the trail for mountain biking or traveling with children due to the rough conditions. Such as over grown roots everywhere, steep narrow ledges within inches of where you are stepping, downhill turns with large rocks that’s well hidden. Fun trail but not easy possibly moderate depending on your physical abilities.

I loved this trail a lot, I have to give it 3 stars for being mislabeled. It was a total distance of 3.4 miles (according to St. Edwards website), and much more of an intermediate trail due to steep inclines and tree roots. I took my 8 and almost 6 year old on this trail and we started on the north loop, but had to take seminary trail out because this ended up being longer than expected and they were getting tired. I carried my 6 year old out on piggy back because she was too tired with the inclines. Had it only been myself I would rate it as very enjoyable trail with majestic scenery and a great halfway point by the beach. I wouldn’t recommend this trail for kids under 8 unless they are seasoned hikers and have an agreeable personality.

short but sweet, very close to the city so it can be explored while in a time crunch

Very slippery after a rain the previous day

Beautiful hike and great for kids and dogs! The water was pretty warm and the kids can jump off the logs into the water. You need Discovery pass to park. The playground before the hike is amazing too!

definitely not easy but a great hike