Walt Bailey Trail

Walt Bailey Trail is a 8.7 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Granite Falls, Washington that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, nature trips, and backpacking and is best used from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 8.7 miles Elevation Gain: 2,427 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Great hike! Went off trail a few times but saw some amazing views. Ate tons of blueberries, saw quit a bit of bear scat, an owl, and man the views at the top were amazing - Rainer, Seattle and the Olympics! Some frost on the way up today too!

Beautiful hike! BEST forest service road I have ever driven up. Not a lot of parking area at the trail head though. We only say two other people on trail. Last mile up to Bald Mountain has some over grown spots, but worth it.

I have done this one several times, in both snow and mud. Nice hike, never been more than a handful of people on the trail. I drive an old Subaru outback and the road is ok, just take your time.

The trail up to cutthroat lakes is muddy, lots of rocks and roots when it’s not muddy. But easy to follow and very pretty. The trail from the lakes up to Bald Mountain gets hard to follow and becomes quite overgrown. There is a good scramble at the end to the peak. The views are worth it. Even on a cloudy day it was stunning. I camped at one of the lakes overnight and had the place to myself. There were only two other tents at the other main lake. The trailhead parking is tricky though. Not a lot of room and there seemed to be quite a few day hikers.

Some have eluded to it below, but the drive up is pretty rough (deep potholes and center ridges) and a true one lane with drop off in spots. Not sure what happens when you meet an oncoming vehicle. I’ve been on many FR roads, but this one stressed me out. After going 2 miles in, I turned around seeing as though I had 4.5 left to go with no sense of how much worse it was to get. I was in a Fiat 500X with good tires and decent ground clearance. Hard to know if I over reacted. Would be good to hear from others’ experience who went the whole way.

Be prepared for 20 minutes of gravel road driving to get to trailhead. We had to turn around halfway through the trail because we saw bear cubs. Plenty of photo opportunities along the road to trailhead.

Made it 1.5 miles up before my dog and I had to turn back with too much snow. It’s needs a couple more weeks to be perfect again.

Beautiful, 4-6’ of snow at Cutthroat Lakes

sos 48.051147,-121.666968 sos

Tue Jul 17 2018

Made it all the way up to Bald Mountain amazing view of spada lake. still quite a bit of snow in places and and saw several fresh "Cougar" tracks noticed on the way back down