Learn more

Walt Bailey Trail is a 8.7 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Granite Falls, Washington that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, nature trips, and backpacking and is best used from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Length 8.7 mi Elevation gain 2,427 ft Route type Out & Back

Mud Pit At Meadow

48.01707, -121.63522

• 2

Cairn For Turn

Watch for it and turn immediately towards other cairns

48.00726, -121.64379

Photos (44)
Recordings (24)
Completed (53)
Dick Green
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarFri Jul 10 2020
HikingBugsScrambleSnow

I wouldn’t be as concerned on the type of vehicle you take up as recognizing that for most of the gravel road, two vehicles will not fit across so somebody backs up. A Toyota and Honda sedan were in the parking lot when I left. There was a lot more snow than I expected so it took longer to get up to Bald Mtn. Unfortunately it was socked in so no views to the south. I shared my PB&J with the bugs and headed back down I must not have downloaded map properly as I could not access GPS so I was dependent on compass and good sense. With so much snow, the pup and I probably lost the trail 20 times but just kept looking for outlets and slowly worked our way to mountain access. There was no snow on south side. It’s very easy to miss trail back so my advice is to double check that you have GPS or do as the signs suggest and wait until conditions improve. As an aside, my soon-to-be 1 yr old pup thought she had died and gone to heaven. Non-stop running to the top of the snowfield and sliding and leaping down. Slept the entire trip home.

Jesse Steele
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarTue Mar 17 2020
HikingIcyOff trailScrambleSnow

Me and a few friends completed this trail in October, 2019. The road leading to the trailhead is not safe and you’ll definitely need a suitable vehicle. Very icy and you have to go off trail near the end to reach the final scramble. Amazing views and the alpine lakes are spectacular. Experienced hikers will have a great time, but others might struggle.

Brandon Moberg
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarSun Oct 27 2019
HikingMuddyOver grownRockyScrambleSnowWashed out
View Brandon's Recording
Chris Nichols
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarTue Oct 01 2019
HikingMuddyOver grownRocky

Great hike! Went off trail a few times but saw some amazing views. Ate tons of blueberries, saw quit a bit of bear scat, an owl, and man the views at the top were amazing - Rainer, Seattle and the Olympics! Some frost on the way up today too!

View Chris's Recording
Samantha N
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarMon Sep 30 2019
HikingMuddyOver grownRocky

Beautiful hike! BEST forest service road I have ever driven up. Not a lot of parking area at the trail head though. We only say two other people on trail. Last mile up to Bald Mountain has some over grown spots, but worth it.

Andrea Risen
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSat Aug 31 2019
HikingOver grownRocky
View Andrea's Recording
Aaron Dolph
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMon Aug 26 2019

I have done this one several times, in both snow and mud. Nice hike, never been more than a handful of people on the trail. I drive an old Subaru outback and the road is ok, just take your time.

Kimberly Thompson
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSat Aug 24 2019
HikingBugsMuddyRockyScramble

The trail up to cutthroat lakes is muddy, lots of rocks and roots when it’s not muddy. But easy to follow and very pretty. The trail from the lakes up to Bald Mountain gets hard to follow and becomes quite overgrown. There is a good scramble at the end to the peak. The views are worth it. Even on a cloudy day it was stunning. I camped at one of the lakes overnight and had the place to myself. There were only two other tents at the other main lake. The trailhead parking is tricky though. Not a lot of room and there seemed to be quite a few day hikers.

View Kimberly's Recording
Brian Collins
Yellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarFri Aug 23 2019
Hiking

Some have eluded to it below, but the drive up is pretty rough (deep potholes and center ridges) and a true one lane with drop off in spots. Not sure what happens when you meet an oncoming vehicle. I’ve been on many FR roads, but this one stressed me out. After going 2 miles in, I turned around seeing as though I had 4.5 left to go with no sense of how much worse it was to get. I was in a Fiat 500X with good tires and decent ground clearance. Hard to know if I over reacted. Would be good to hear from others’ experience who went the whole way.

David Fox
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarTue Jun 18 2019
HikingBugsMuddyOff trailRocky

Be prepared for 20 minutes of gravel road driving to get to trailhead. We had to turn around halfway through the trail because we saw bear cubs. Plenty of photo opportunities along the road to trailhead.