Wallace Lake Via Woody Trail and Greg Ball Trail

Wallace Lake Via Woody Trail and Greg Ball Trail is a 8.8 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Gold Bar, Washington that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

1981 feet

Located two miles northeast of Gold Bar, Wash. in Snohomish County. Park address: 14503 Wallace Lake Road Goldbar, WA 98251 From the west: Take U.S. Hwy. 2 (Steven's Pass Highway) east 12 miles from Monroe to Gold Bar. Once in Gold Bar, follow the signs two miles northeast to the park. From the east: Take U.S. Hwy. 2 west about 43 miles from the summit of Steven's pass to the town of Gold Bar. From town, follow the signs two miles northeast to the park.

I did this again two days ago, it is a nice and easy trail, worth, this time the pebble beach was under water, I would advice you to do this around late August, wait for the water level to come down a bit more so you can have access to the pebble beach.

I'll definitely come back later this year.

Still you have access to the water either by going to the camp site direction , or the opposite direction, all around the lake, right after the "Jay Lake" mark, passing a non-handrail metal bridge

Did this yesterday as a loop to the Wallace falls trail. The lake is absolutely beautiful
and if you want to get away from the Wallace falls crowd then definitely recommend doing. Even on a Saturday afternoon there was hardly anyone.

Great hike. I am in pretty bad shape but the views are great and there are plenty of them.

The wooded trail is in great condition considering a very rainy day. Got to top of Upper Falls and kept going to Wallace Lake along forest road. Forest road has places of snow cover. Returned to parking lot along Greg Ball trail. Very wet due to rain. Let’s just say the trail was a very very shallow creek. All in all very rainy day for a hike. But enjoyed the hike just as well.

April 2nd: Gorgeous hike!! I set out at 7:00 and enjoyed the trail to myself. After reaching the Greg Ball trail there was snow on the ground. By the time I reached Wallace lake it was ankle deep! The trail is well enough maintained that it was easy to hike in the snow. I almost made it around to the north side of the lake (pebble beach) but a section of the trail was flooded.

The trailhead parking lot is very nice with real bathrooms. A Discover Pass is required, or a $10 day use fee.

My son and I did this hike two days ago, it was beautiful, snowing and so much fun. We have done this hike in the summer a few years ago. It is a completely different experience in the winter. I really enjoyed it. Trail was easy to follow, you need extra traction in the snow there was some icy areas.

Fun trail, took the dog on a nice hike to the upper falls. We both had a blast!

Breath taking views of the falls gorgeous hike ! Stop deforestation

Nice Hike, when arriving to the lake I couldn't find a good spot but after looking a bit more I found a bench right in front to the lake, and also a small beach, which is nice to have a swim.
The trail once you start the the Greg Ball path it is pretty much alone, I only saw like 6 people.

This lake is worth but only if you find a good spot. I found the bench and the small beach, the beach is right in the other side of the lake from the bridge. (from the bridge go the the left, stay in the path close to the lake, and a few feet before Jay Lake 1 mile indication you will see a small rocky path to the lake )

It was a nice hike to the lake. Wish there was a spot to get closer to the water.

Parking lot is small. If it's full, there's more parking about a mile back from the way you came in. A bit of a bummer unless you want a good warm-up before you even get to the trail. I was pleasantly surprised that the Women's restroom was actually....dare I say....clean. The trail itself was pretty busy (we went over a holiday weekend so that was expected) and the views were absolutely beautiful. Once you go through the "hikers only" gate it's nice and shady with lots of little stops with a few stairs to head down in case you'd like to get closer to the river and even dip your feet in if you so choose. We hiked up to the Middle Falls only because my husband and I weren't sure if we'd be able to tackle the difficulty of the trail from the Middle to Upper Falls.

Great trail, had a few bathrooms along the way too. Even saw a black bear on the forest service road at the top. Luckily he didn't see us and we were able to back up and go back the way we came from. Overall great hike and great scenery.

Really nice hike. Variety of waterfalls and tons of places for a dog to easily drink. The only reason I give it 3 stars is because I've done tons of hiking, so my standards are pretty high but anyone who hasn't seen much might consider this a 4 star hike.

I highly recommend going to the end (Top of Upper Falls)

Monday, May 22, 2017

Truly stunning when you get to the top. Crowded on nice days but the trail is really well maintained so there's plenty of room. Great for all people, isn't too hard to make it to the first waterfall, but going all the way is truly rewarding.

Sunday, May 14, 2017

Nice trail. Scenes are really great. Wallace fall are spectacular and forest is nice. Middle fall view is the best! It has three level, easy moderate and hard. I recommend at least hike to middle fall. You can also find lots of chipmunks asking for food. Hike road is a little narrow so if there are lots of people, it is annoying to always wait.

Sunday, May 07, 2017

Nice medium level hike with the last .5 mile more of hard level to the upper Falls with sharp slippery rocks. We went on a nice rainy day via the woody trail and the views were breathtaking.

Sunday, May 07, 2017

Monday, March 27, 2017

Wallace Falls + Wallace and Jay Lake are cool spots. The logging road is meh.

Saturday, November 05, 2016

Hiked with my two small dogs on a Friday. I met only one person on the greg ball trail and 6 persons around the lake.

Saturday, July 30, 2016

Made it all the way to the upper falls and it was gorgeous!!

Saturday, June 25, 2016

great exercise and awesome views!

Wednesday, June 08, 2016

Officially the first hike I do every year. Got a late start and didn't get to the trailhead until 10 which equaled a full parking lot. There's a property 1 mile back down the road that will charge you $10 to park there. Nice bonus if you want a little warmup before you head up. Consistently solid trek and you're only sun-exposed for the 2 miles from upper falls to the lake on the fire road, so easily bearable on a hot day.

Friday, May 20, 2016

Great hike except for the crushed rock the last .5 mile to the lake.

Thursday, April 28, 2016

Great place to camp. Found some pretty cool waterfalls while hiking around the Wallace Lake area.

Tuesday, February 02, 2016

Nice, easy early season hike with multiple options to increase/decrease mileage. We did the DNR road up-great views and much longer at 6.5mi up. Decided to go woody trail down, a total of 11.5mi RT & 1700 elv gain.

Tuesday, January 19, 2016

Relaxing hike just right for an afternoon get-a-way! Easy to moderate hike and I'm a sucker for a beautiful lake at the end of the trail!

Friday, January 08, 2016

Love this, especially in winter. It gets decent snow, but isn't dangerous to hike.

Wednesday, August 12, 2015

We loved this hike. Went up by the falls ( still running a little bit even with the dry hot weather). We then headed to the lake via the dirt road- this was the hardest part because of the loose stones that were laid down as part of the recent road work. The lake is gorgeous- watch the signage indicating a trail closure for the bridge repair. We loved the hike back down the Greg Ball trail- lots of ferns and lots of green. All in all a great hike.

Wednesday, August 05, 2015

Take my 7 year old to wallace regularly. Great trails. We use the Greg ball trails up to the lake instead of the woody trail, just because we have our dog and it's wider and easier to hike. Beautiful either way, have some both. Best time to get to these trails is during the week because the weekend is nuts! Worth every second. Tons of paths up by the lake as well. Lots of areas to explore. The DNR trail is all road, and if you like hiking in the woods and shade then I wouldn't recommend that way, although it has awesome views!

Monday, June 29, 2015

We started out on the Woody Trail and headed up to the Upper Falls area first. We stopped for a cool down break just before the Upper Falls and hopped into the little serene water hole with a smaller water fall. After drying off, we headed past the Upper Falls and continued to the DNR road and took a left to head to Wallace Lake. As someone stated before, the scenery wasn't much through the area and the bugs were less then tolerable but it was still a nice walk. When we hit the fork in the road, we stayed left (the right road is out just before the lake) and took the connecting trail, which was well maintained, to the lake. Everything about this trail was extremely well marked. I never once felt like i was in the wrong place. We both had out lunch at the picnic tables and headed back down the Greg Ball Trail to reconnect with the Woody Trail to make the short jaunt back to the trail head. This is in Wallace State Park so make sure you have your Discover Pass!