Wallace Falls Trail

MODERATE 1915 reviews

Wallace Falls Trail is a 4.4 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Gold Bar, Washington that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and nature trips and is best used from April until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 4.4 miles Elevation Gain: 1,404 feet Route Type: Out & Back

fee

Wallace Falls is set of nine different cataracts in all which are well worth the hike up. The hike is short enough for a day time picnic outing. Be prepared to get a little exercise as it is a 1200 foot elevation gain up to the falls. On the trail, you'll find many examples of Cascade regional flora and fauna as well as some old growth forest. The trailhead is easy to find with public bathrooms and drinking water available. The path and well marked with bridges and nicely railed vista platforms to view the falls. There is also a covered picnic area when you reach the bottom falls. It is recommended to only take kids that are over 4 years old or very athletic. A lot of people stop at the picnic area to turn around and go back. However, if you hike the next mile, you'll get to see all of the upper falls which are quite beautiful. This trail is very popular and you will encounter others along the way. Discovery Pass is available to purchase at the visitor booth at the entrance to the trail ($30 for the year or $10 for a day). This is required.

We just did the lower falls and it was pretty quick and easy! A couple slightly steep hills but nothing too bad. Would definitely do again but only if I did the middle and upper falls hike too. The trail was a tiny bit muddy but I was in Birkenstock’s and did fine (I forgot my boots).

Rainy and muddy today, but spots of sunshine and lots of fog. Absolutely beautiful. Falls were full and stunning. One of our new favorite hikes. Fall colors are out and rivers are running, few people that were polite on trail.

Amazing! Lots to see along the way. This trail is worth every single step!

Did this bad boy the other day and it was soooo pretty!!! The falls were pretty awesome, and lots of views along the way which was nice! A few switch backs and some bugs, but overall an awesome hike. They even had a picnic table in the middle of the trail which was pretty cool. Also, a pretty good work out! Definitely got the heart pumping. We had a really good time doing this! I would for sure recommend!

Wallace falls was flowing nicely today and got a bit of sunshine, so ti was glorious. Did the hike at 2pm so it was not too crowded. See https://youtu.be/Hb_V-M3H2iY.

Solid hike. Not as good as twin falls. Not any real difficult parts. Good for running

Not bad. Pretty busy. The falls were really cool

Great hike that was challenging for my partner who is not an avid hiker like myself. I loved it the beauty and challenging climbs.

Fabulous hike, exceptionally well-maintained trail. Beautiful views at lower and middle falls but didn’t make it to upper falls this time, unfortunately.

Beautiful forest and relaxing sound of the river all the time. Will do it again some time.

I hiked this trail with my family. It was raining, which I loved. The sound of the river on the way up to the waterfall was so nice! The view from the lower view point was alright, but so much better at the middle viewpoint. I would’ve loved to have hiked to the upper view point, but we had no time.

From trailhead to upper falls was a fairly steady ascent. Our personal experience was immersed in heavy rain for 75% of the hike. The hike was green, lush, and shaded once you got off the man made path. In terms of scenery I would say nice to see but I wouldn't bother driving a real long distance to see. It's a nice water fall, just nothing spectacular. Trails nicely marked and maintained. I "may" have appreciated it all more if I hadn't had to hike it in the rain. I just felt it was no big deal to see. Glad I went but I wouldn't really go out of my way if I were you.

It's a great moderate hike that always has the sounds of the river nearby. Even in early September there was plenty of water flowing. There's a midpoint vista and an upper vista. Both provide spectacular views of the waterfall -- probably the best September waterfall I've ever seen (short of Hawaii). The trail is compacted clay with embedded rocks, so terrific traction even when we got caught in an unexpected downpour. No bugs.

From Seattle it took an hour to get there and upon arrival, the parking lot was full. This was expected, however, when we arrived at noon on Sunday from watching YouTube and reading reviews. We parked outside of the main entrance, which ended up being about half a mile uphill. The trail itself had incredible views and we were thankful for perfect weather. The majority of the trail is shady, moderate is a proper rating. Coming from the Midwest, the hike to Lower Falls was more strenuous than expected, but definitely a solid workout.

nice easy hike in the shades most of the time.

We made it to the upper Falls and all the way back. This was the longest hike we’ve been on to date and we’re a bit sore, but happy we finished. Recommend going early to avoid the traffic. Facilities at the trailhead are nice and clean.

Very scenic. Perfect for a family hiking. Plenty of parking even at 10 am on Labor Day weekend

Suggest to go early to get a parking spot. We arrived at 8:10am, we still had available parking spots. Not much of view other than the falls but still refreshing with the sound of the creek and streams. We felt cool breezes from the streams. It was an easy hike.

Great hike, but not a great waterfall view hike in my opinion.

Did this in June with a friend and the pups. Waterfalls were cool. Not a ton of views otherwise. No creeks for the pups except near the beginning. Would make a nice shady trail run though, and I'd do it again in that context.

Best to get an early start on this trail as the parking lot fills up quickly for this popular trail. We arrived at 7:30 am to an almost empty lot. Trail is great! We went to Lower Falls - beautiful! Trail is well maintained.

Really beautiful waterfall and trail is extremely well kept. It does fill up quickly though. I started at 8:15am and there were already a handful of other groups out. There are several stopping spots and viewpoints along the way. The way back down involved a lot of waiting for people to pass or for my turn to pass people. There is a ranger station at the trailhead so you can purchase a parking pass or discovery pass if needed. I got back to the trailhead at 11am and it was completely packed. No parking left at all. The waterfall is worth it, but come early.

Well maintained trail(s). You can go on the gravel DNR roads or the woody trail along the river. I prefer the “woody trail” as it’s much more scenic. It’s a bit steep in places if you go to the upper falls but it’s quick. Great hike for all ages. Plenty of view points to stop along the way to see the falls and take pictures. We went on a weekday at 1pm and it surprisingly was not overcrowded. Lush and green even in late August.

This is a really awesome, easygoing trail. There are some difficult parts when you get to the incline, but it’s not too steep and it doesn’t last for long. We arrived at the trail around 8:15 and there were about 2 or 3 hikers ahead of us. The trail traffic was very light, until we headed back. I’d recommend getting here as early as you can if you want to enjoy the falls in peace. Otherwise, it gets crowded pretty quick. Great trail and beautiful falls.

My 9-year-old and I hiked this today. We both enjoyed the four different falls, the trail above the river and forest walk. The many lookouts gave us a chance to see some beautiful views, including the Olympic ridge line, while enjoying a brief break. We lunched at the top then made our way back down. Despite his insistence to reach the upper falls, my son was weary by the time we made it half way down. This hike says child friendly, and it is, but may also be a challenge for some. We took a few breaks on our descent. The ranger station here has some friendly attendants and a few snacks to buy if you need additional provisions. The trailhead bathrooms are clean — bonus!

Waterfalls were gorgeous. Highly recommend if you’re looking for an easy hike with breath taking views.