EveryTrail is now a part of AllTrails! Please click here to read more.

Wallace Falls Trail is a 4.4 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Gold Bar, Washington that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and nature trips and is best used from April until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Wallace Falls is set of nine different cataracts in all which are well worth the hike up. The hike is short enough for a day time picnic outing. Be prepared to get a little exercise as it is a 1200 foot elevation gain up to the falls. On the trail, you'll find many examples of Cascade regional flora and fauna as well as some old growth forest. The trailhead is easy to find with public bathrooms and drinking water available. The path and well marked with bridges and nicely railed vista platforms to view the falls. There is also a covered picnic area when you reach the bottom falls. It is recommended to only take kids that are over 4 years old or very athletic. A lot of people stop at the picnic area to turn around and go back. However, if you hike the next mile, you'll get to see all of the upper falls which are quite beautiful. This trail is very popular and you will encounter others along the way.

Beautiful hike! We hiked it in July. My almost 5 and almost 3 year old did it with me. Took a little longer with the kids in tow, but that is expected and it was a great hike. They really enjoyed it. There is a picnic area with tables by the lower falls which was nice. The kids were ready for lunch by the time we reached it so it was a nice lunch with a gorgeous view. We hiked up to the middle falls after lunch and it’s so worth it. Beautiful views, very peaceful. We went on a week day and it wasn’t too busy, definitely worth it. Also the little ranger station has a junior ranger scavenger hunt for the kids, if they complete it they get to pick a badge. Awesome way to keep them moving and in the lookout for things. Will do this again!

Awesome hike with 3 falls and the valley lookout.

Beautiful falls!!

Okay, whoever called this an ‘Easy’ hike definitely overlooked the fact that the trail from middle falls to upper is actually marked ‘more difficult’, and rightly so. This is definitely a ‘moderate’ hike, with many many falls-view treats. About 0.5-1 mile into the trail, you reach small falls, it’s a very intimate, beautiful view of the falls. If you proceed along there’s a little loop that’s 0.5 mile called intervine trail, you wouldn’t miss much if you choose to skip that and head back to the woody trail. As one would expect you reach the lower falls, it’s the first view of Wallacefalls you’ll have, it will take your breath away. It’s majestic. About ~0.5 miles in you reach the Middle Wallace falls. This is perhaps my favorite view of the falls, it brings you much closer to the falls, not enough to feel the mist but still close. You could move your head about 120 degeres and catch a view of the Wallace falls and the majestic Olympic skyline. One of the hikers mentioned that usually it’s never a clear view of the skyline and that today we had gotten lucky. Luck we were, indeed!
Most hikers turned back at this point. I choose to continue along to the next 0.6 mile to the upper falls. This section was the hardest. It’s switch back city and the trail unforgiving making you gain nearly 1000ft. The upper falls, to me was a little underwhelming. Partly cause I ran into a group of hikers that chose to lunch at the viewing spot of the falls. But still just as beautiful. I ended up using my hiking poles on the way back from upper to middle falls, the steepness and the wetness was a little scary, so it really helped. Took me about 3hrs RT. This is such a great winter hike and I have my hearts content of waterfalls :)

Two words... HEATED RESTROOMS. (Located at the trailhead). Great amenities for a chilly November morning!!! Arrived at 830am to an abundance of parking... Much fuller around 230pm when leaving... Only saw about 15 others total throughout the day. A few super respectful dog owners (Appreciated!!!)/trail runners and mushroom foragers (How PNW of them...). Overall easy hike with well maintained trails... Great views of the falls. A missed off-shoot did head us up a steeply inclined maintenance road... What's another 6 miles???

Get there early. Excellently maintained trail. Great view from the middle.

Great hike for the first two lower falls, the last one really is a killer for the stairs to get to the top falls!

It was an easy hike... it got cold at the top. Enjoy the hike.

good for kids

K and I did this one in the rain. The Falls look great. Per NOAA the Skykomish flow was over 35.2 KCFS. The trail is in good shape, not too much of a crowed.

Ok hike. The view from the lower falls was mostly blocked by trees. We didn’t have time to continue on the trail but the middle viewpoint is only .3 miles farther. There’s also a viewpoint at the top.
Crowded with families.

Very beautiful, with at least three great overlooks to accommodate different difficulty levels. I would call this overall Moderate, not Easy, but our group (and dog) had no problems getting to the Middle Falls. The final 1km Upper Falls stretch is marked Hard.

Pretty good hike. Got more tired towards the upper falls. Wasn’t expecting it to be as steep. But overall a great hike. Went in the morning to avoid crowds and was pleasant. Though noticed a few people with dogs off leash which was not awesome. For that reason I wouldn’t be able to bring my dog next time I hike this trail.

trail is great, we'll maintained. more moderate than easy. really pretty woods and falls. weekends are packed, and there were some dog owners with their dogs off leash (and not well behaved) which was not great. would go back, but would be more careful on timing to avoid the crowds.

Oct. 6, 2018: Decided to come here for a quick hike with a view!! Fewer people in the afternoon-sun down. Worth it!

Hiked with 5 meetupers from Hiking with Dorks. 5.4 miles rated moderate. Trail well marked. Middle Falls most spectacular

Many views of the waterfall! So so so pretty! Went midweek and it was pretty quiet and easy to find parking. Discovery pass was needed.

Very nice

2018/09/30 Sunday (Hiking Date). Enjoyed the hike. Pretty good work out. Very good views of Water falls and Wallace River. Trail path is neat and well marked. Has parking lot (Discovery Pass Required) and well maintained rest rooms. It took around 4 hours to Upper falls (out and back). Traffic on US-2 Highway. Definitely go there again.

Went on a Saturday, I would not recommend going on the weekend. Very, very busy on the trail. Not the hike to do for solitude. The higher you went the less people there were, but still had to bob and weave your way up.

However, the trail was well maintained, we were never concerned about getting lost. Lots of places to take a rest and pretty diverse trail. Also a great workout.

We went on a slow day, and the trail was moderately trafficked. The trailhead had a volunteer who gave us helpful hints and a map. Discovery pass required here. Absolutely beautiful views!! The trails are very well marked and there are options for all different experienced hikers. Varied path so it stays interesting! Can't wait to go back!!

Beautiful trails along river and streams with falls at checkpoints. Diverse trail keeps it interesting. Hike gains difficulty with distance due to elevation so it feels more moderate than easy. My favorite close to home hike but a very busy destination.

Didn’t make it to the falls, yet enjoyed the 3 mile hike, great one to start after two years away. Beautiful colors super scenic. Dog friendly, easy access from Salmon le Sac campground.

Very well maintained trail with beautiful waterfalls.

Excellent trail! We were able to hike this after leaving Mount Baker on our way back to the Seattle airport. Rained all day in Bellingham Sunday so we needed one more hike before hearing back to hot, humid Atlanta !

we went during the week in the evening so it wasnt very busy, only saw 2 other couples. there was so many amazing views along the way! the falls were absolutely breathtaking! we just went to the 2nd level since we ran out of daylight but definitely want to go back! id say moderate is fitting for this one:)

Hiked on 9/10/18.

I'm sure it's typically busy, but I went on a Thursday morning and basically had the whole trail to myself. Multiple view points along the way and they're all beautiful. The trail is extremely well maintained. I'll definitely be coming back here again.

Hiked on 8/5/2018

This is a great place to break in your trekking poles. I walk a bit faster than most but I'll be the first to admit that the elevation gain on this hike is a workout for newbies.

You have three lookout points on your hike: Lower; Mid: and Upper falls. Bring some extra water if you don't carry a pack. Watch out for loose rocks on the trails.

This is a popular location so arrive early.

Great view of at Middle Falls.
Busy place:(

Nice trail and lovely fall. Got stung by a bee for the first time. Also great trail to get to Wallace Lake.