Wallace Falls and Wallace Lake Loop

Wallace Falls and Wallace Lake Loop is a 8.6 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Startup, Washington that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from April until September.

Nice Hike trail.

The falls are fairly good and the trail is well maintained. A lot of people around the upper and lower falls, too many. The trail to the lake are old logging roads except for the last or first part depending on route. The lake is okay and it’s stocked if you wanted to fish. I would of given it more stars if there were less people and less logging roads. One very eventful thing happened on this hike. I had a 50lb dog with me and we got stocked by a young cougar, made an attempt at my dog but she was able to fight back until I was able to scare the cat off. That was on the more remote part of the trail called Greg Ball something. I was told it was the first reported mountain lion reported at the park. The dog was not hurt.

This was hike #2 of 52 this year. I’d been meaning to try the connecting trail from the upper Falls to the lake for some time. It was a good workout! I don’t recommend doing it in a windstorm though. Exploding maple trees are a bit unnerving. There was about 2 feet of fast moving water covering the trail going to the lake but I just rolled up my pants and went for it. Very cold water! Definitely bring a second pair of socks! Trail tracker clocked 10.8 miles, as opposed to the 8.8 listed....but I did take the railroad grade trail from the Greg Ball so that probably tacked on a little extra. Start at 9 am to avoid the crowds!

Nice heart pumper.