Vesper Peak Trail

Vesper Peak Trail is a 5.1 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Darrington, Washington that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

rock climbing

One of the best hike so far!!!!

It's around 8 miles round trip

Road to the trailhead is single road and have potholes my Accent did fine.
Trail is not in very good condition because of the washouts, and cairns can lead you to wrong way so be very careful. Started around 7:30 am, parking lot had only 2 cars. Took me 4 hours to get up to top and 3 hours to get down which includes getting lost and couple breaks. This is not an easy hike because it's steep and at top you have to climb the granite rocks which can be little tough. Pretty views all the way. Take plenty of water and extra food. Try to avoid this hike if you are scared of heights and beginner.

Good luck

beautiful country! difficult navigation! not all cairns indicate the way to vesper, or to the TH.... the rock fields tripped us up bad. the actual trail is so faint and over grown... I've got scrapes along my arms and legs from bush whacking.

To my thorough entertainment every time we figured out how we had taken a wrong turn, we then always found the very obvious correct route, ha!

on the bright side I know where not to walk next round :D

Wow!! Amazing hike and challenging. Make sure you follow the man made markers (stacked rocks) "cairns" or else you will get lost. I got lost when it opened up to just rocks because I didn't see the cairns but you have to make sure you keep looking for them every 10-20 feet during the rock opening until the end of the hike. It will guide you to the peak at the end. Best views! Bring lots of water. I brought 3 liters and ran out. Thank god I had my lifestraw with me.

This is definitely one of the best hikes I ever had. I did it today with lots of canadian smoke and I will do it again soon to see all the mountains around. Trail is pretty rocky, way up much easier for me that way down, I feel how my knees hates me now, but I am 100% satisfied. Met some climbers who climb peak from the north side, looks very impressing from the top. Bring more water or water filter to refill.

So good. With plenty of people there on the weekends, don't see how one couldn't find the easy your way up to the summit.

I agree with some other hikers comments. This trail can be difficult to follow. Once you get to the end of the woods the trails seem to disappear. We went to 3 to 4 dead ends before finally finding what we thought was the right trail. It lead us through a field of 6ft ferns that we followed until we ran into the river rocks. From there we hiked about a mile up the old river bed looking for a side trail to appear again but we never found it so we turned around. We recorded our trek in the app and once we had service again we compared it to other travelers. It looks like we took the wrong path coming out of the trees. We went straight(slight left) and others made a right. It would be nice if they could mark the right path cause it looks like the views are incredible from the top. I'll likely give this hike another try cause I really want to see the summit views. All around a decent experience but wish it would have ended with better views.

This is a seven star hike. Some clown gave the hike three stars as they became lost? I have no clue how an experienced hiker would get lost as this trail is pretty obvious and well worn until you enter the valley of ROCKS! The only part I can see is where this could happen is at the river and after you cross there are only so many places you can climb the bank. There are wear markings climbing the banks as well. I am a little annoyed the someone would rate this hike three stars because they cant find an obvious trail. This is a tough hike though. The trail has rocks of all types. Some of the trail is all rock and for a long ways. The trail is easy to follow and no special efforts needed for any of the water crossings anymore. The crossings are all within 20 minutes of the trail head. There is a large section of over grown brush so if its wet you will be soaked. After you pop into the valley the trail is basically on and over rocks until you hit the lake. The pass has a few switchbacks that have been taken out and you just go up the side some. The lake is thawing and looks really great from the summit. At this point there is some snow travel that might bother some coming down. I didnt use spikes up or down but many in my group did. If you look at my recording I was all of the place at the top as I was being chased by a Yeti! Awesome hike but a workout due to the terrain. DO NOT judge this hike my its mileage and elevation gain, Nine hours round trip, but there were eight of us just casually day hiking.

Tough, but amazing.

This trail was really hard to follow. As you get to the big creek crossing, the trail turns into a jungle of 6' tall ferns and just disappears. I found myself surrounded by ferns and couldn't see anything around me. I backtracked and crossed the creek where all the logs were and it looked like there was a trail on the other side, but that disappeared too. After roaming around in the woods with no service on my phone, I decided to just head back and I ran into another solo hiker who couldn't find the trail either. We both decided to be safe and just head back to the trailhead. Despite everything, I did enjoy the trail and the creek crossing was fun. I'm not the greatest when it comes to navigational skills, so I'm going to do more research and try this again in a couple of weeks.

*I hiked this again a couple weeks later and some awesome person/people had maintained the trail over by the big creek where I lost my way the previous time. The trail was very easy to follow this time. Once getting to the giant field of boulders, the trail looks kind of hard to follow, but there are plenty of rock cairns that help. This is a very strenuous hike but a very great one! Once we got to Headlee Pass, we decided to just hang out at the lake and call it a day. We started kind of late in the afternoon, so we thought we'd play it safe. I'm definitely going to come back, start really early, and summit this thing by myself. I was just in awe of all the beauty that surrounded me. Next time I am going to bring a water filter and more food. The hiking poles were a lifesaver, though my knees were still killing me toward the end. I don't give many trails 5 stars, but this one gets 5, hands down. I just can't wait to see the views from the summit!

One of my all time favorite hikes! Some serious climbing/bouldering at the end. Well worth the work

Tuesday, August 30, 2016