Vesper Peak Trail

Vesper Peak Trail is a 5.1 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Darrington, Washington that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until October.

rock climbing

This is definitely one of the best hikes I ever had. I did it today with lots of canadian smoke and I will do it again soon to see all the mountains around. Trail is pretty rocky, way up much easier for me that way down, I feel how my knees hates me now, but I am 100% satisfied. Met some climbers who climb peak from the north side, looks very impressing from the top. Bring more water or water filter to refill.

So good. With plenty of people there on the weekends, don't see how one couldn't find the easy your way up to the summit.

I agree with some other hikers comments. This trail can be difficult to follow. Once you get to the end of the woods the trails seem to disappear. We went to 3 to 4 dead ends before finally finding what we thought was the right trail. It lead us through a field of 6ft ferns that we followed until we ran into the river rocks. From there we hiked about a mile up the old river bed looking for a side trail to appear again but we never found it so we turned around. We recorded our trek in the app and once we had service again we compared it to other travelers. It looks like we took the wrong path coming out of the trees. We went straight(slight left) and others made a right. It would be nice if they could mark the right path cause it looks like the views are incredible from the top. I'll likely give this hike another try cause I really want to see the summit views. All around a decent experience but wish it would have ended with better views.

This is a seven star hike. Some clown gave the hike three stars as they became lost? I have no clue how an experienced hiker would get lost as this trail is pretty obvious and well worn until you enter the valley of ROCKS! The only part I can see is where this could happen is at the river and after you cross there are only so many places you can climb the bank. There are wear markings climbing the banks as well. I am a little annoyed the someone would rate this hike three stars because they cant find an obvious trail. This is a tough hike though. The trail has rocks of all types. Some of the trail is all rock and for a long ways. The trail is easy to follow and no special efforts needed for any of the water crossings anymore. The crossings are all within 20 minutes of the trail head. There is a large section of over grown brush so if its wet you will be soaked. After you pop into the valley the trail is basically on and over rocks until you hit the lake. The pass has a few switchbacks that have been taken out and you just go up the side some. The lake is thawing and looks really great from the summit. At this point there is some snow travel that might bother some coming down. I didnt use spikes up or down but many in my group did. If you look at my recording I was all of the place at the top as I was being chased by a Yeti! Awesome hike but a workout due to the terrain. DO NOT judge this hike my its mileage and elevation gain, Nine hours round trip, but there were eight of us just casually day hiking.

Tough, but amazing.

I gave this 3 stars, just because the trail was really hard to follow. As you get to the big creek crossing, the trail turns into a jungle of 6' tall ferns and just disappears. I found myself surrounded by ferns and couldn't see anything around me. I backtracked and crossed the creek where all the logs were and it looked like there was a trail on the other side, but that disappeared too. After roaming around in the woods with no service on my phone, I decided to just head back and I ran into another solo hiker who couldn't find the trail either. We both decided to be safe and just head back to the trailhead. Despite everything, I did enjoy the trail and the creek crossing was fun. I'm not the greatest when it comes to navigational skills, so I'm going to do more research and try this again in a couple of weeks.

One of my all time favorite hikes! Some serious climbing/bouldering at the end. Well worth the work

Sunday, July 17, 2016

Sunday, July 03, 2016

this trail is pretty awesome and takes some work. we tried to summit today, but had to make do with a near ledge. we did not have crampons or spikes which are probably still needed to summit right now. Parts of the trail were not easily marked and we spend well over an hour building new cairns. The view from above the lake on a y of the near by ledges are great. I am willing to bet the summit would be worth the effort though.

Saturday, July 02, 2016

Thursday, June 23, 2016

Vesper Peak was by far my favorite hike, even though our group was ill-prepared and we didn't manage to stay on the trail. We went on a gorgeous day, but started too late in the day and got bullied by the sun and heat for most of the hike.

The trail starts in a forest and then emerges into an uncovered bit of trail before plunging back into the trees again. Right before the pass is a lovely boulder field and some short switchbacks. Navigating the boulder field was difficult, and we were unable to find the proper trail for most of the time. Views from the pass are great, but nothing compared to the peak.

After the pass, there's some more tree cover and some more boulder field before the stream and lakes. There is a small lake first, and you can continue on to the large lake, as we did. We were able to get some water using a filter from some other hikers (highly recommend bringing a filter) at the large lake. Our leader hadn't looked at the trail map very closely so we didn't know how to proceed to the peak, even though we could see it. So we started following cairns, and basically rock-climbed and scrambled our way up the rest of the mountain. I don't suggest that route for anyone who just wants a nice day hike. The correct route has its entrance over closer to the small lake, I believe.

Once we made it to the top, the view was breathtaking. You can see a lake to one side and mountains everywhere. The day we went, it was perfectly clear. It's a pretty comfortable spot to hang out for a while and enjoy the view as well.

Even on the gorgeous day that we went, we saw very few other hikers.

Would do again. Highly recommend.

Monday, May 23, 2016