Learn more

Useless Bay Tidelands is a 4.4 mile out and back trail located near Freeland, Washington and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking and walking and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 4.4 miles Elevation Gain: 141 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Great place to bring your kids too! Not much of a “hike” it’s more like a nice long flat walk along the water! A lot to see and find! Walking on wet sand it pretty amazing. I wore waterproof hiking boots and it was amazing. It was pretty useless but perfect!!

It’s been since 2/13/20 since we’ve been here. It’s so good to finally be back. First big outing since the stay at home order. We needed this so badly. My dog went ape shit when he knew we were coming here.

The best dog beach. Lots of Bald Eagles and Blue Herons today.

Always he best here

Wed Jun 19 2019

I got there around 7:30am and never saw anyone until 10:45am. I had the whole beach hike to myself and loved it. There is a parking lot at the park with bathrooms before the trail starts. The tide goes out around that AM time window, so I got first dibs on the shells and sand dollars. There are quite a few tide pools to observe too. In terms of interesting wildlife, I saw a few bald eagles. I was hoping to see orcas, but didn’t have any luck. Very easy trek to make, but gorgeous views of the bluffs and beach.

Sun Mar 10 2019

Beach trail is the best. The app sucks. Crashed twice on me. Hate it.

Mon May 28 2018

Great views, but windy at the ocean level. We hiked first on the ridge and returned by the beach. It was a great 3.5 miles hike. Parking was scarred, but we could find a spot on the street. Our dog enjoyed the hike, but was tired at the end.

Sun May 20 2018

Off leash beach- made me miss the puppies. Enjoyed it!

Sat Mar 10 2018

Great to take visitors from out of state...amazing views the entire trip!

Wed Sep 06 2017

My dog and I loved this! The sand banks where so fun, lots of other doggie friends, the cool beach huts, the cruise ships, seashells, could not have been a more peaceful afternoon! :)

Sun Mar 19 2017

A beautiful walk. Be sure to time your hike at low tide. Recent landslides will make this very difficult at high tide especially with children.

Fri Oct 28 2016

Heaven and earth kissed each other!

Sat Jul 04 2009

Very popular trail. Parking lot was full and I had to hike an additional .5 mile to the trailhead. Very well defined trail. Not a place to go for soitude!

Thu May 07 2009

Great hike with beautiful scenery. More challenging than I expected, but a great hike all the same. Well worth the effort to make it to the upper falls.

recorded Useless Bay Tidelands