Upper Lodge to Artist Point Trail

Upper Lodge to Artist Point Trail is a 4.4 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Maple Falls, Washington that offers scenic views. The trail is rated as moderate and primarily used for cross country skiing and snowshoeing. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

To get there, from Bellingham drive east on State Route 542 (Mount Baker Highway) to the road end, about 55 miles, at the upper parking lot of the Mount Baker Ski Area.

I had to return to do this one on a sunny day and it was magnificent! Nearly 360 views from Artist Point. Many trails were created to get to the top so choose your own adventure from the upper parking lot. We hugged the groomed trail, keeping it to our left before the terrain flattens out and naturally provides a wide trail that meanders left before switching back right.

More beauty than my brain could handle! Seriously. Great workout, trails in good condition. Mind blown during sunrise snowshoe hike this morning. Hardly needed gloves or a hat. For my first time up there, this was a grand introduction!!! WOW!!!!

Wednesday, August 03, 2016

Tuesday, March 29, 2016

Great weather. Fluffy snow.

Monday, January 11, 2016

This snowshoe trip was awesome. Made the trip in a nice pair of MSR Snowshoes and enjoyed a clear blue sky. Kulshan and Shuksan were in full view and the trail up to the point was nice and packet down. Best snowshoe of the winter!

Monday, January 04, 2016

Great snowshoe spot. A wonderful way to kick off the new year. It is a very easy hike, only one point with a steep grade. The views were great throughout the entire hike, but the top is fantastic. A great place to catch a sunset.

Friday, January 01, 2016

Tuesday, December 29, 2015

Fantastic as per usual, though a little low on fresh snow. Sun was shining though! Explored more then in the past which was totally worth it. The main trail saw quite a few other snowshoers, but going off the beaten path was quieter. One of my favourite places to go. Nov 28, 2015

Monday, December 28, 2015

This was my first time snowshoeing around Mt. Baker on Artist Point trail The day i went there were too many clouds to see the big boy mountains but it was still a decent trip. I’ll have to go back on a clearer day. The road up to ski lodge was in great shape shut a little snowy slush near the top. The trail is easy to follow right now lots of tracks to follow, I will note that some of the steeper terrain does look a little iffy avalanche wise. Overall though this is a super easy hike you’re in eye sight of the ski resort the whole time so it doesn’t feel so scary if you’re new to snowshoeing. Literally all you have to do is park in the Mt Baker Ski area parking lot and start heading south. Also when it’s clear out you get very good views for not a whole lot of work. I would definitely recommend this trail.

Monday, November 30, 2015

Tuesday, November 10, 2015

Saturday, April 18, 2015

Fantastic weather and enough snow! I tried going in February and we had to turn around due to a white out about 30 minutes in, but this time we had sunshine and only a few clouds that hid the peak of Mt Baker from us. Great conditions on April 4th, however I would have enjoyed more snow. Snowshoes were definitely still a good idea. About 45 minutes to an hour up? Enjoyed the glorious view and enough sun to give some colour before heading back down, exploring as we went. Lots of back country skiers and snow boarders out there, even a big group camping overnight.

Sunday, January 11, 2015

good snowshoe up from carpark, very busy trail even midweek although not surprising given perfect weather. Snow conditions soft with a crusty frozen surface which made harder going off the packed trail

Friday, May 16, 2014

Wednesday 5-14-2014: My wife and I snowshoed from Mt Baker Ski Resort parking lot to Artist Point. The large parking lot was virtually empty with only a few people there to ski. It was only 1.6 miles one way with 850 ft elevation gain to Artist Point. It took us 1.5 hours going up, 1 hour coming down. The weather was warm and sunny. That made snow soft. There was nobody else at Artist Point. Mount Baker and Mount Shuksan was gorgeous. We had a great fun. We learned that a Seattle skier was killed in an avalanche on Mount Shuksan that morning. It was a sad reminder that when the weather is warm you need to stay away from avalanche chutes and cornices.