Upper Big Creek Trail Loop

Upper Big Creek Trail Loop is a 4.5 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Hoodsport, Washington that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from June until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Getting There From U.S. Highway 101 in Hoodsport, turn west on the Lake Cushman Road and follow it 9 miles to the junction with Forest Road 24. Turn left on FR 24 and immediately right at the Big Creek Campground Road. The Big Creek Loop Trail No. 827 begins at the parking area at the campground entrance, 750 feet above sea level.

Loved this hike. Easy to find, trail well kept( with the exception of two trees over the trail, but they were small and very easy to step over). Not sweeping views but water and bridges, within the beautiful NW rainforest.

This trail was very well kept, especially for the campground it starts in being closed at the time. Took some kiddos (8, 6, and 4) and they did the whole things themselves! It has a bit of a climb, but the downhill makes it worth it. The big bridge and creek are a nice lunch stop spot.

This was a great next-step/alternative to Staircase that we normally do. The road there has been damaged, so we were looking for something similar nearby. This hit the spot and taught us with enough breaks and ice cream bribery, anything is possible for those littler legs.

Very beautiful hike. Great for camping with family and also dog friendly.

Good trail, very well marked and well kept. My wife and I did the extra mile going to the viewpoint, but I’m not sure if it’s all that worth it. It’s worth a go and a great few hours out, but not sure if we’d do it again

Beautiful trail. We hit it in early Spring and got to see some beautiful flowers including Trillium and a Peace Lilly type of plant I'm still trying to identify.

Very nice hike! Sadly people can't seem to at least walk off the trail to relieve themselves though! lots of TP on the trail:(
But great work out, beautiful waterfalls and bridges!

Beautiful !!! Snowy closer to the top and the way down !!! Amazing family hike !!!❤️❤️

Trails were in great condition! Just a little bit of snow closer to the lookout, not too much to see today at the lookout. Still, a very beautiful cold crisp winter hike.

Great hike, trails were perfect and weather was brisk but great. Not many out on this one today. Really loved it.

What a beautiful day for a hike! Almost 60 degrees in the middle of January! The trails were in great condition still and the views from the lookout were especially spectacular today! The creek was a huge presence today. My only complaint would be too many dogs off leash.

trail is in great shape and the streams are full of water and the falls look great. my wife and I did it clockwise which gives the best workout early in the hike. we went all the way up to the viewpoint and continued to to lower parking lot of the Ellinor trail before finishing the loop. all in all 8 miles and took us 3.5 hours.

This is a beautiful trail, great condition! I definitely recommend doing the lookout! It’s worth the added 2 miles, especially on a clear day. Two mountains are in view (pretty sure it was Rainier and Baker). Love being able to hear the water for most of the trail.

Very good trail wanted to do Ellinor but the one was good too! I could not find Ellinor for the life of me. But the good thing about this trail is it runs into Ellinor so I will def be back to do it again. It was peaceful and you could hear the water the whole time. I’d recommend it! Def has a nice incline too! My legs burn

Beautiful. We went clockwise because we wanted an easier descent on our knees. We chose to go the extra climb up to the viewpoint. I'd love to know the elevation to that, because it was harder than the rest of the loop. Really worth it!

Nice hike mostly through woods and creeks. moderate, not hard. going up clockwise is consistent climb from mile 1 to 2. then lots of possible lunch stops.

This was a nice hike - enough water for the dog - steep enough at the beginning to get a workout and the way back down was a nice fast walk. Lots of bridges to cross, pretty waterfalls, gorgeous views.

The river is beautiful and the trail very well maintained and clearly marked. Miles 1-2 were steep but not difficult. Nice day hike but not really worth a repeat.

The way up was hard as it was steep in some places but the trail itself was well maintained and easy to walk on. There are several benches along the way and signs marking directions that haven't been graffitied! We have two little dogs that made the entire loop. They were tired when we go to the car! Great bench near the highest point to enjoy lunch. Pay station right at the parking lot for those without an annual pass. When you reach the top of the loop, you can continue on for another mile to a lookout or 4.5 miles to Ellinor.

This hike had way more elevation than I realized!!

Friday, May 12, 2017

I love this hike! The waterfalls are beautiful and the benches along the way are helpful when hiking with children.

Saturday, February 18, 2017

Great trail for viewing streams and huge trees. Great views of Lake Cushman on way to trailhead. Not crowded on our outing.

Monday, February 13, 2017

Great hike! It had fantastic water features with plenty of beautiful photo opportunities. There was quite a bit of snow toward the Mount Ellinor trail split. Micro spikes are recommended this time of the year. Plenty of benches along the trail to stop and take in all the beauty.

Monday, October 10, 2016

You have to get to the TH 827.1 from the 827 Trail which is accessed in the Big Creek Campground. The hike up and down is a nice walk but not much to see. But when you get near the top and at the top, it is worth the hike, lots of scenic creeks. The actual name is Upper Big Creek Trail Loop #827.1.

Sunday, August 21, 2016

Starts at the campground. Easy to find. Lovely well maintained trail. Not hard.

Monday, August 15, 2016

Great beginner hike

Thursday, July 28, 2016

Very nice hike, well maintained trail. Good hill. Lots of bridges. Saw a big toad. Would not consider hard as advertised.

Wednesday, July 27, 2016

Be sure to find an actual trail head. If you follow the directions on All Trails it leads you to a house where a man tells you in not so many words to get off his property and there is no hiking trail there. We were run off.

Saturday, July 23, 2016

Well kept up. Nice hike with lots of bridges to cross. Today was cloudy so no views of Ellinor.

Tuesday, July 19, 2016

Liked so many bridges and creek crossings because I like to hear the running water. Went counter clockwise to be a little easier on the knees. Nice new parking area near the trail head, with a nice pit toilet.