Upper Big Creek Loop Trail

Upper Big Creek Loop Trail is a 4.5 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Hoodsport, Washington that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from June until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Please note that this is a moderate to difficult trail. The ascent is quite steep in some spots and may be a challenge for some.

8 minutes ago

I hike this trail often and love it. I like it because it has a combination of ease and challenge. This last weekend there was snow.

Trails were clean, no snow or downed trees. Walked this trail in early February.

I do this trail about once a year. It’s nice and located near a camp ground so makes for a nice weekend adventure.

I took 2 other users’ suggestions to hike the trail counterclockwise and it made for a spectacular hike! So many beautiful views of waterfalls to enjoy and plenty of rest areas in between the steep climb. I took my Saint Bernard and he did pretty well! Definitely keep your pups close if they’re nervous going over bridges!

Overall, well maintained trailer, signs were clear and it was easy to navigate. :)

We followed a prior review suggestion and followed the trail counter-clockwise (you have an option) and it was beautiful! Provides a couple great lookout views on the way up and lots of creeks and bridges to stop and have a snack. We also did the extra mile up to the lookout which was challenging but worth it-so beautiful!!

Challenging but making it to the lookout is worth it. Rest of the trail is very pretty and well-maintained. Great for dogs.

The way up was a great workout. Didn’t have time to go to the viewpoint but we enjoyed the falls and different creeks.

Hiked 12/30/18. Beautiful weather, no snow on the trail. I'd recommend doing the loop counter-clockwise. We had great views of the mountains on our way up. The various creeks were beautiful. Lots of spots to stop and have a picnic by the water. Saw a few other on the trail but probably gets a lot of traffic in the summer. Overall, a fairly easy but pretty hike, perfect for a winter hike.

went here December 30, 2018 and weather was great. don't skip going up to the Mt. Elinor viewpoint. It makes the hike a lot better. I plan to do this again when we have more daylight so we can summit it.

Brought my puppy on the hike and she did well, wasn't too steep, but would recommend having a good hold on dogs who get nervous on bridges or near water since they are everywhere on this hike.

got there about 1pm and finished about 5 with stops along the way, trail was good river was at max and we saw as we passed the skok river on our way back into town a warning of flood danger in skok river area.

Great, moderate trail. Was a rainy day but the trees managed to shield us from most of the rain. Very pretty and a bit of a butt burner for these Florida hikers.

Good most of the year, close in to drive to.

Pretty clear - just a couple of small trees down - a little wet, not muddy - nice trail

Pretty good hike! Has some nice river views and the elevation gain was enough to break a sweat. The loop goes up first if you go clockwise from the campground. Follow all our adventures on Instagram @themicrotourists

Did this trail in the pouring rain but was still absolutely beautiful!!

Was a nice hike, my family and I discussed that most of it felt easy with the exception of the one hill. It was picturesque but nothing extraordinary. I wouldn’t call this a destination hike but if you are in the area it certainly won’t disappoint you!

Nice walk.we also took a left side and it was still up to the hill,but the way is very good maintained.you go along the creek.we think that way from other side would be little bit easier. Hiker from Czech republic.

Solid leg burner hike. Went left instead of right, climbed 1200ft in two miles. The descent was just as good. All with my 11th month old on my back in the Osprey. The creeks are beautiful and there are plenty of benches along the way to stop and rest.

Did this hike with my 4 month old in a pack:) hubby had our 3.5 year old also but she hiked alone for half of it! Very do-able even with little ones! The steep parts definitely made my legs burn but it was moderate!! Would recommend

Well maintained - well marked. Lots of benches along the trail. Beautiful scenic views of the creek.

Loved this trail. I think taking it clockwise (turn left to start) is definitely the better choice. You can get a solid workout in for the first 2.1 Miles and then enjoy climbing along rocks and downed trees over several beautiful creeks on the way down. Recommend. Loved it.

Such a great hike. There is one hill that’s a bit of a beast, depending on which way you go. Great challenge for beginning to intermediate. My Blue Heeler loves it.

kicked my butt.

It's amazing and perfect! :)

Hiked here today. Gorgeous weather and almost no one else on the trail. If you go to the left at the trailhead, you get the uphill stuff out of the way. It is uphill for several miles. A few places to access the creek. There are also lots of little bridges to cross. Probably considered moderate by most standards. My GPS said it was 6.3 miles and 1,289 ft of elevation gain.

Good hike, nothing too special. Some very cool bridges.

We did this one first thing in the morning before doing Mt. Elinor. It was beautiful and not too hard (definitely moderate), and we almost had the trail to ourselves.
I’d recommend going left on the loop when starting, that way you get the climbing out of the way and you’re treated to several beautiful creeks on the way down.

Beautiful trail through the tall, mossy evergreens. We started at noon and saw 5 other hikers half through the 5 mile trail. Hiked clockwise, the first 1/4 mile easy, then a steady ascent to the halfway point. Lovely views of several creeks.

Lovely hike. I would rate it as moderate, not difficult.

Great hike. We did extra miles parking out of the campgrounds. We decided to go counterclockwise and started on campground trail. Then explored the campgrounds on the way out.