Upper Big Creek Loop Trail

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray Star(419)
Olympic National Park

Upper Big Creek Loop Trail is a 4.5 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Hoodsport, Washington that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from June until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 4.5 miles Elevation Gain: 1,112 feet Route Type: Loop

Please note that this is a moderate to difficult trail. The ascent is quite steep in some spots and may be a challenge for some.

Make sure you start the trail counterclockwise if you don’t want to go up a large hill for the first half of the hike!

Great trail if you love forestry scenery and pretty creeks! Definitely one of those loop trails where it’s a steep incline going up and a quick decent down. Not easy on the knees! I loved all of the little bridges crossing over the waterways. Perfect 3 hr hike for a drizzly day since the main attraction wasn’t the little glimpses of Ellinor (although that would have been nice to see!)

There are certain parts of this trail that are very pretty, the river crossings & if you hike up to the lookout. There aren’t many spots for views though you will see Mt Ellinor peaking out at certain points. All in all I wish I had hiked a different trail on such a clear day, but the trail is in wonderful condition.

Super pretty and totally worth the trek. Very well maintained trail. Some of the bridges are less sturdy than others, but I never felt at all concerned about them. Ran into a few people (some with dogs), but the majority of the trail was quiet and beautiful.

Beautiful trail, very well maintained.

Nice trail, well kept. I haven’t done much hiking recently so a bit of a workout for the first uphill half, but very enjoyable. Took us about 2.5 hours. We brought our two dogs and they had a great time.

Upper Big Creek with an extra 2 miles to the Lake Cushman Viewpoint. Trail is in great shape.

I'd recommend counter-clockwise as the ascent is much more enjoyable on the east side (more creeks, true trail). Coming down the west is just a boring wide gravel trail. There were some great bridges and creeks.

Trail is very well maintained, with no issues getting through. Few trees down but very easy to go around. We ended up going some extra miles to the viewpoint. Got there around 10, with only about 3 cars at the time. Didn’t see anyone until we were more then halfway done. Followed the social distancing guidelines of course but lots of cars lined up on the road when we were leaving. Perfect weather for hiking today.

Trail in good shape. Family hike with 2 adults, 17, 15, 12, & 8 yr olds. Amazing weather and the creek crossing is worth the hike.

The trail is really well maintained. It’s simple with beautiful views of the creeks.

Hiked this trail in 3 hours with an inexperienced hiker and a 6 month old puppy. easy hike and such a well maintained trail with no boulders.

Trail is in great condition. We added on the extra couple of miles to go to Mt Ellinor viewpoint - worth it!

Beautiful trail.

This was a nice trail I took my family on with my youngest being 8. It was a a bit harder on the younger ones but generally a great trail with plenty of benches along the way for breaks if needed. We loved the sounds and views of the river following us along the trail. Overall a good day with the family.

Very ,nice 60-65' day in forest on Thursday 16, 1100 feet fairly uphill, I think counterwise, was fairly stiff, but not abnormal, did the 1 mile extra( approx ,700 more ft toward Eleanor, nice sunshine view of 3 peaks, Cushman and more! Blocked by a few trees , benches thruout, hike superb to rest and think on!!!!about 4 cars + 2 more in 15 min parking, backside of hike has best 3 views of mt. wash/ elenor!! 3 out of 5 star to me but calm hike! Passed 3-4 groups/singles. Entire trail great conditions, 1-2 log tree/ downs but easy, no. Rangers! But gate closed

Nice easy hike - trail was clear, and even though the parking lot was full, encountered only a handful of people. Very relaxing.

Great hike overall! My boys all hiked it with me. 11, 9, and 3. A bit confusing which way to go initially- at the “y” we went right to follow Big Creek Trail. About half way in you can continue straight to a viewpoint or go right around the loop- we went right. Stopped for lunch at Paralle Creek. No major views, but it’s gorgeous and well maintained. We lost my sons AirPod Pros (in white charging case) out there :( Please email katrina.colonial @ outlook.com if found!!

The trail is super well maintained! Only a few downed trees here and there. We had very minimal encounters with other hikers. Loved this trail!

well maintained trail and completed the loop. ran out of time to head up to mt. elanor.

Went clockwise on the loop trail. Got the hard stuff done early. Trail was well groomed,

Pretty trail, though not what I was expecting from the Olympics. Not old growth, but well maintained. Quite an elevation gain (especially if you go up to the viewpoint if Lake Cushman!). Camp ground wasn't open, so that added about a mile (round trip) to the final distance.

Well maintained trail. Dog friendly. Not much parking at the trail head, so get there early.

Good trail, even when it’s raining! I’m sure the views are great but couldn’t see much through the mist.

Awesome trail, highly recommend!! Dogs are welcome as well.

icy