Upper Big Creek Loop Trail

Upper Big Creek Loop Trail is a 4.5 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Hoodsport, Washington that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from June until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Please note that this is a moderate to difficult trail. The ascent is quite steep in some spots and may be a challenge for some.

Pretty good hike! Has some nice river views and the elevation gain was enough to break a sweat. The loop goes up first if you go clockwise from the campground. Follow all our adventures on Instagram @themicrotourists

Did this trail in the pouring rain but was still absolutely beautiful!!

Was a nice hike, my family and I discussed that most of it felt easy with the exception of the one hill. It was picturesque but nothing extraordinary. I wouldn’t call this a destination hike but if you are in the area it certainly won’t disappoint you!

Nice walk.we also took a left side and it was still up to the hill,but the way is very good maintained.you go along the creek.we think that way from other side would be little bit easier. Hiker from Czech republic.

Solid leg burner hike. Went left instead of right, climbed 1200ft in two miles. The descent was just as good. All with my 11th month old on my back in the Osprey. The creeks are beautiful and there are plenty of benches along the way to stop and rest.

Did this hike with my 4 month old in a pack:) hubby had our 3.5 year old also but she hiked alone for half of it! Very do-able even with little ones! The steep parts definitely made my legs burn but it was moderate!! Would recommend

Well maintained - well marked. Lots of benches along the trail. Beautiful scenic views of the creek.

Loved this trail. I think taking it clockwise (turn left to start) is definitely the better choice. You can get a solid workout in for the first 2.1 Miles and then enjoy climbing along rocks and downed trees over several beautiful creeks on the way down. Recommend. Loved it.

Such a great hike. There is one hill that’s a bit of a beast, depending on which way you go. Great challenge for beginning to intermediate. My Blue Heeler loves it.

kicked my butt.

It's amazing and perfect! :)

Hiked here today. Gorgeous weather and almost no one else on the trail. If you go to the left at the trailhead, you get the uphill stuff out of the way. It is uphill for several miles. A few places to access the creek. There are also lots of little bridges to cross. Probably considered moderate by most standards. My GPS said it was 6.3 miles and 1,289 ft of elevation gain.

Good hike, nothing too special. Some very cool bridges.

We did this one first thing in the morning before doing Mt. Elinor. It was beautiful and not too hard (definitely moderate), and we almost had the trail to ourselves.
I’d recommend going left on the loop when starting, that way you get the climbing out of the way and you’re treated to several beautiful creeks on the way down.

Beautiful trail through the tall, mossy evergreens. We started at noon and saw 5 other hikers half through the 5 mile trail. Hiked clockwise, the first 1/4 mile easy, then a steady ascent to the halfway point. Lovely views of several creeks.

Lovely hike. I would rate it as moderate, not difficult.

Great hike. We did extra miles parking out of the campgrounds. We decided to go counterclockwise and started on campground trail. Then explored the campgrounds on the way out.

Loved this hike. Easy to find, trail well kept( with the exception of two trees over the trail, but they were small and very easy to step over). Not sweeping views but water and bridges, within the beautiful NW rainforest.

This trail was very well kept, especially for the campground it starts in being closed at the time. Took some kiddos (8, 6, and 4) and they did the whole things themselves! It has a bit of a climb, but the downhill makes it worth it. The big bridge and creek are a nice lunch stop spot.

This was a great next-step/alternative to Staircase that we normally do. The road there has been damaged, so we were looking for something similar nearby. This hit the spot and taught us with enough breaks and ice cream bribery, anything is possible for those littler legs.

Very beautiful hike. Great for camping with family and also dog friendly.

Good trail, very well marked and well kept. My wife and I did the extra mile going to the viewpoint, but I’m not sure if it’s all that worth it. It’s worth a go and a great few hours out, but not sure if we’d do it again

Beautiful trail. We hit it in early Spring and got to see some beautiful flowers including Trillium and a Peace Lilly type of plant I'm still trying to identify.

Very nice hike! Sadly people can't seem to at least walk off the trail to relieve themselves though! lots of TP on the trail:(
But great work out, beautiful waterfalls and bridges!

Beautiful !!! Snowy closer to the top and the way down !!! Amazing family hike !!!❤️❤️

Trails were in great condition! Just a little bit of snow closer to the lookout, not too much to see today at the lookout. Still, a very beautiful cold crisp winter hike.

Great hike, trails were perfect and weather was brisk but great. Not many out on this one today. Really loved it.

What a beautiful day for a hike! Almost 60 degrees in the middle of January! The trails were in great condition still and the views from the lookout were especially spectacular today! The creek was a huge presence today. My only complaint would be too many dogs off leash.

trail is in great shape and the streams are full of water and the falls look great. my wife and I did it clockwise which gives the best workout early in the hike. we went all the way up to the viewpoint and continued to to lower parking lot of the Ellinor trail before finishing the loop. all in all 8 miles and took us 3.5 hours.

This is a beautiful trail, great condition! I definitely recommend doing the lookout! It’s worth the added 2 miles, especially on a clear day. Two mountains are in view (pretty sure it was Rainier and Baker). Love being able to hear the water for most of the trail.