Umtanum Creek Falls Trail

Umtanum Creek Falls Trail is a 1.8 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Selah, Washington that features a waterfall and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from February until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

This is a 1 mile point-to-point trail, making 2 miles total (unsure why AllTrails's automated system says 3.6 miles). The trail meanders by a stream through aspen, birch and pine groves until it reaches a small basalt column cirque with a waterfall. Best in spring, but doable in all but the dead of winter.

Great find! Stopped here on my drive from Seattle to Spokane. Little bit of a detour by about 20 minutes off I90 on mostly primitive roads. It was a hot day, in the high 80s but the trail has lots of shade and is remarkably cool. Lots of little turn offs on the trail to sit by the creek, just head straight ahead for the falls. I took a left at the fork towards a rocky incline- was a really fun trail with varying terrains- not good for anyone with physical limitations. Trail at one point is overgrown with plants, but very doable. Spills out to the top of the falls, gets very muddy right before. Trail goes up and around the box canyon where the falls is at to get to the other side. Wear good shoes, I wore Tevas and was slipping a bit on my way to the other side. Beautiful oasis, perfect way to stretch legs!

The hike was beautiful!! I think we took the wrong trail??!! It was kid friendly at first but some of the trail had steep slopes with rock and dirt which required us to slide down on our butts then climb over a steep area that if we slipped would take us down a rock slope and into the water!! I can say its off my list since I made it ;) but dont think ill be doing that again!

Pretty easy hike over all. It’s shaded and great for a hot day. My only complaint is that there are lots of forks in the trail and it’s hard to know which to take because some lead to a harder path and some easier. Make sure to check for ticks after! We had one hitch a ride on on of the kids!

I hike this trail often since I live in the area. It's a really great, short hike and could easily be done with kids. I used to hike with my cat up there and he did it easily. I always find some muddy places on the trail, but nothing crazy! I definitely recommend it.

6/12/18 - Only made it a little way in, the mosquitos were swarming us! Clouds of bugs out there, we will probably try this hike again in a month or two.

Nice little hike if you're in the area. Not much to see on the trail itself but the falls at the end is worth the short hike. There was only one spot with some mud but there was a log on the side to walk over it. Climbing down to the bottom of the falls is a little sketchy but not really hard, just make sure you got good shoes with grip.

Great hike! Had to climb over some rocks and mud but that just added to the fun. Our dog enjoyed it too! There were quite a few other hikers but all were friendly. It could use a clean up though. Remember, pack it in, pack it out!

Road is good. At the first Y in the trail if you stay right it’s much easier. When you get to the mud you’re almost there. It was a beautiful day out, not many on the trail, only saw 3 other groups. Met some nice women from Alaska. I’d love to know deep the base of the Falls is?

Road in and trail is in great condition, falls could use some clean up of trash. Saw a rattlesnake on trail.

Nice easy hike but worth it at the end.

Fun little hike, easy for kids. A few bad muddy spots but fun!

A lot of fun. Pretty easy hike most of the way. By the waterfall there is a rock formation that you can climb.

Beautiful view of the waterfall, short and easy, several muddy ares

Nice

Beautiful spring like day. The snow and ice pack mentioned in the previous is mostly gone, except closer to the falls. Lots of mud. Huge portions of the trail were nothing but mud, and hard to avoid. The kids had fun, despite slipping in the mud. Lots of college kids out today

Trail was covered in ice. Very dangerous conditions on 2/11/18. The drive up appeared to be favorable... but the packed ice in the vicinity of the trail made it treacherous.

Try it again in after a few more weeks.

easy hike in and out.

This is a really fun trail a few snakes lots of deer kids loved it

This is a great recovery day, relaxing trail!!

It's a fun little hike! The end is the real pretty part, or I guess what I mean is I wouldn't do the hike if it were not for the pretty falls at the end. The hike on is pretty but nothing special. If you have dogs or young kids getting to the bottom of the falls (where the real view is) would be pretty difficult. We also saw a snake on the rocks getting down there, it was small and didn't appear dangerous but it made me think it would be a good spot for rattlesnakes. If you go, bring a beverage to enjoy below the falls- it's really pretty.

Saturday, August 12, 2017

fun and easy, takes about 30 minutes, at a 6 year olds pace. slightly difficult to get to the bottom of the water fall with little kids.

Tuesday, August 08, 2017

it was fun watch out for rattlesnake

Monday, July 31, 2017

Great trail, not a hard trek, not over run with people (passed people on the way there and back but that's all we encountered) and the waterfall is worth the heat!

Thursday, July 20, 2017

I love it

Thursday, July 20, 2017

Easy hike, took my 7 year old, and backpacked my 2 year old. It ended up being right around 3 miles round trip. Once you get to the water fall, it's kind of hard to get down, due to the loose dirt and rocks, but manageable. Definitely a gorgeous view, and can't wait to go again!

Sunday, July 09, 2017

Loved this trail and waterfall!

Monday, June 26, 2017

Hike was a little harder than expected, however this was my first hike.

Saturday, June 17, 2017

Fun and easy trail

Tuesday, June 13, 2017

great hike! saw beautiful butterflies all over and no snakes! Getting to the bottom of the waterfall was definitely a challenge but well worth it.

Wednesday, May 10, 2017