Umtanum Canyon Trail

Umtanum Canyon Trail is a 4.6 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Ellensburg, Washington that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Not a gimme...pretty good climb the last quarter mile which was even tougher going back down. Worth the summit views at the end. Beautiful wildflowers!

amazing views of Ellensburg. a bit windy when we went, but when isn't it?

Great first hike of the season! Took my mom and enjoyed the wildflowers and the views thanks to the clear, calm day. The babbling brook made it that much more charming!

Made it about 3.5 miles up. Good for all ages our party ranged from 4-64 in age. Some loose rock at the beginning.

Amazing views at the top! Perfect time to go is now! So many wildflowers, water was running, and not too hot out! Must pay $5 to park for the day- the discover pass does not work there. It was about 70 minutes to the top!

Good hike. Beautiful view at the top! Last half mile is a little more difficult than "moderate". Worth the effort!

Definitely watch out for snakes in the summer time. Besides those buggers, it has enjoyable trails for both short and long distance walks/hikes.

So you should know, I got surprised with a 5 dollar park fee. I am going back to walk all of it.

My sister and I completed this hike today. We found it to be pretty challenging. It was a steady climb right from the start. The last mile to the top was very steep with loose gravel making it very difficult to keep your footing. Some beautiful views at the top, with a very cold wind for a 65 degree sunny day. Wear layers!

Wednesday, May 18, 2016

Trail was easy to find and all around a great hike! The trail was closed a little past the 3 mile marker to preserve wildlife, but that really wasn't an issue for me. There was an abundance of wild flowers and foliage! LOTS of bugs further up in the trail, as there's creeks that periodically cross paths with the trail. My dog enjoyed the refreshment! Noteworthy mentions would be; ticks. I found 3 ticks on my dog (so far) and there is a $5 fee to park in the lot. Discovery Passes wont do since its on BLM land. Beautiful spring hike though!!

Monday, May 16, 2016

Tuesday, May 10, 2016

Sunday, May 08, 2016

Awsome !!! Lots of rattlesnakes!!!

Saturday, April 30, 2016

Sunday, April 24, 2016

Trail is dusty and steep in areas. We are novice hikers, and definitely thought getting to the peek was difficult (we also had our 2.5yr old in a carrier), but it was worth it! Lots of flowers in bloom, and we saw a pygmy short horn lizard at the top.