Twin Sisters Trail and Tumac Mountain

Twin Sisters Trail and Tumac Mountain is a 7.1 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near White Pass, Washington that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, camping, horses, and backpacking and is best used from July until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

8.20.18

Beautiful area and not too difficult overall. I took my dogs and we literally accidentally found ourselves on top of Tumac (due to very dense fog the whole trip). It felt very much like a large hill until the last 1/4 mile, where I realized I was near the top. Alas, no view to be had!

NOTE: Damon Hendricks mentioned below that something could be heard off in the woods but he could not see it. I can also attest to that, as something rather large kept its distance and paralleled my dogs and I most of the way up to Tumac beginning at the Twin Sister Lakes, keeping pace around 300' away most of the time. The dense fog wasn't helping. I tried making lots of noise as we progressed hoping to deter a possible bear or cougar, but it kept on. It stopped near the top of Tumac. It then resumed paralleling us back out until Twin Sister Lakes. It sounded nothing like a horse does when it moves in the forest, yet it was too heavy to be a person. Very curious!

I guess I would be cautious out here. I did not feel threatened, I just know there is something large in the area that isn't afraid to follow you around. Either bring friends, or carry bear spray or a sidearm. Or maybe all three, to be honest!

Just went last weekend for the first time and did a overnighter just me and my dog. Both lakes are beautiful. The tail up was a little rough in some places but worth it when you get to the top. I do suggest to take people with you. The ground in some areas sounded hollow when you walk and can really hear something in the woods that you can’t see. It’s only in one spot that I noticed that, it the campground on the west side of little sister. Other then that it was a good trip.

Lots of snow on the main trail to the Twin Sisters. Recommend waterproof boots and gaiters. Trekking poles highly recommended for more sure footing. About 50 degrees at the top with a stiff wind across a frozen lake.

First time to be up at the lakes with snow around them. Trail is muddy and snowy in different areas. Very beautiful and peaceful.

Monday, August 29, 2016

great trip, hiked to twin sisters with our daughter's and spent the night. weather was great, absolutely no bugs, and caught a few brookies from big sister. Love this area. this was our first father daughter backpack trip the youngest of the girls being age 9 so this a trail kids can do.

Friday, July 08, 2016

One of my favorite hikes. Good workout with gorgeous lakes at the end. Always buggy until September so make sure you have lots of bug spray!

Wednesday, September 02, 2015

Decent intermediate trail. Plenty of elevation gain to start but doable for most adults. I wouldn't recommend for young kids but teens can handle it. The big sister has some small rainbows and brooks but the scenery is better than the fishing. I suggest avoiding during hunting season, it's safer for you and less likely to disturb the hunters as well.

Sunday, August 20, 2017