Turtleback Mountain South Trail

Turtleback Mountain South Trail is a 6.6 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Eastsound, Washington that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 6.6 miles Elevation Gain: 1,640 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Did this hike in late summer. Absolutely gorgeous hike to the top. We happened to pick a day that no one else was there which made the top so enjoyable for a relaxing lunch. Wonderful panoramic views in nearly all directions of the surrounding islands.

Not really a view, but a nice hike nonetheless after a 3 hour commute via I-5 and the Ferry.

Great trail! Took South Trail to Ship’s Peak and then looped it back to our car via the Lost Oak Trail. Took us 1 hour. Will return to take the Lost Oak Trail toward the North Trail.

Best first hike in Washington. what a way to start. Beautiful views. Took Lost Oak up and South Trail back. 2.5 hours with awesome views.

Sweet trail. Views are spectacular, granted we were there on a sunny day. Did the South Trail to Ship Peak and back via Lost Oak Trail. Steep in some sections but manageable, we are both 67. Highly recommend this trail

Great hike. Moderately steep in places. Great views of Orcas Island bays, Olympics, Vancouver Island, and islands and bays in between. Trail was in great condition in late March.

The views are stunning on the south trail. The incline isn’t bad but we traveled counter clock wise the first loops and clock wise from the ridge trail. Snow on the second loop, about 6 inches deep but very manageable. All views were first 2 miles Next time we plan on starting from the north end trail, never saw the falls mentioned in pictures above

Mon Oct 15 2018

Did the Lost Oak trail to the hitching post at Center Trail and back to parking lot. It was a bit tough for me & my 7-yo, but the views, trees, and lovely solitude helped her to prevail and made it worthwhile. R/t was 2h,45m with a lot of stops. The spouse & teen made easy work of it. Wish we could've done the entire loop, but for the time we had, it was great!

Sun Aug 26 2018

Nice, pet friendly trail suitable for families; very navigable! Our eight-year-old only grumbled going up the trail to West Overlook, which is about 2:1 for almost .3 of a mile. Had I looked at the elevation change more carefully, I would have gone north on the Lost Oak Trail and made our way down to West Overlook. Absolutely spectacular views of Deer Harbor, Massacre Bay, and West Sound. We did the south trail loop, taking plenty of time to enjoy the scenery and snap lots of photos. The 3.1 miles and all our stops took us 2 hours 9 minutes with a total moving of 1 hour and 40 minutes. Of course for my son, the best part of this hike was coming across a little snake.

Sat Aug 25 2018

Sat Aug 18 2018

Perfect! Great easy trail with fantastic views. I recommend taking the trail from South Trail head up Morning Ridge up to Ship Point back down and then back down via lost Oak Trail.

Sun Jul 08 2018

Went for a "speed hike" up and trail run down at 7:15 am. It took an hour. I had the whole trail to myself. I went up from South Trailhead, detoured on Morning Ridge Trail, took in view for 5-10 minutes at Ship's Peak, then returned via Old Oak Loop. Fantastic views southward over all of San Juans. Great view of Eastsound and Orcas from Ship's Peak.

Tue Apr 18 2017

Beautiful. Nice views.

Mon Aug 08 2016

We started at the south parking lot, then followed South Trail to Morning Ridge Trail to the West Overlook. Beautiful views both there and at Ship Peak. Most hikers then followed Lost Oak Trail back to the parking lot for a moderate hike. We saw many older hikers, young parents with babies in backpacks, and people with dogs on this part of the trial. We were interested in the view from the 1519 foot summit so headed up Ridge Trail, which kicked our butts. We traveled up the east side of Raven Ridge Trail and were disappointed that, not only was the summit unmarked, but there was no view from there. There was a lot of steep downhill coming down the western paths, and not nearly the views that the east side offered. Our route was over 7 miles and took about 3 hours. Pretty challenging but views were worth it!

Sun Jul 10 2016

Steep early on with a decent amount of traffic. Thinned out considerably after a half mile or so. Vistas become more and more beautiful the higher you go.

Wed Oct 14 2015

Amazing hike on Turtleback Mtn. Coming from the east coast, we don't have views like this. We went up Morning Ridge Trail, past the West Overlook, up to Ship Peak, and around and down Lost Oak Trail. There is a decent sized parking lot, we got there mid-day, mid-week so there was a spot for us, but it was pretty full. I saw all ages hiking, some with dogs. It's not difficult terrain but there are some stretches of a steep incline and so it seems best if you are in decent shape with regular activity. It was a really beautiful hike. I loved all the moss and dense woods on Lost Oak Trail and the views up Morning Ridge were stunning. It took just about 2 hours, with a lot of stopping for photos. The address we used to get to the South trailhead was 89 Wildrose Ln, Eastsound, WA 98245

Mon Sep 14 2015

09/10/2015 - This is a quick, enjoyable hike that you can do in less than an hour. We started at 6:30 pm to time it for sunset at the top. The sun goes down right over Vancouver Island. It's a beautiful scene. We took the South Trail counter-clockwise to the Morning Ridge Trail and the West Overlook. This opens up beautiful views to the east and Mount Constitution, Eastsound and Westsound Marina. Continuing up the Ship Peak for sunset, then back by headlamp via Lost Oak Trail. Reversing that route would have been a much harder hike. More on my blog: http://cairnguru.com/trailreports/2015/9/13/turtleback-mountain More on my hiking blog at cairnguru.com

Mon Apr 14 2014

Beautiful moderate hike with stunning views of all of the islands, AND the magnificent farmland down in the middle of Orcas Island. What a treat! Entered South Entrance, took Lost Oak Trail & curved back down by Shipwreck Point. Had our 2.5 and 4 year old with us, so took 2 hours 45 min, but would obviously be way faster for others. Several view points, dry, clearly marked divisions, several benches, great birding & some wildflowers made this a great local trail. The farmland views were my favorite!

Fri Apr 05 2013

This trail has a N. and S. entrance (I did the N. and that is what this review is based on). The elevation starts from the very beginning and it not for the faint of heart but it can be done as this was my first trail in years. I took many breaks along the way as I started around an elevation of 300' and ended around 1100' and that is not the summit of the beautiful mountain. Along the way there are two outlooks with breathtaking views and what a Kodak moment they are! The trail is clearing defined with car tracks and visible signs for the outlooks are posted at detour with a visible trail. I really enjoyed hiking the trail and would recommend packing water and maybe a snack. This is an out-and-back trail but there are two loops which connect to the main trail about 2/3 of the way in (didn't get that far). Although the elevation is steep it is worth the climb. There are also some reviews (one by me!) on the WTA link which I included. :)