Tunnel Creek Trail

Tunnel Creek Trail is a 15.1 mile out and back trail located near Quilcene, Washington that features a river and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, and backpacking and is best used from June until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

From Quilcene, 1 mile south on U.S. 101 to Penny Creek Road. Turn right and drive 1.5 miles to Big Quilcene Road. Stay left at the Y and drive 3 miles to Forest Service Road 2740. Stay to the left at this Y and drive 6.5 miles to the trailhead.

1 hour ago

Outstanding - one of the best views of Mt Constance. Don't stop at the 5050 pass. Continue all the way to the top for the best views.

I discovered this trail by stopping at the Quilcene ranger station. It looked like a good alternative to the busier Lena Lake and Mt Townsend trails. What a pleasant surprise! I was the first on the trail at 8am and only saw eight people the entire day. Harrison Lake is a bit of a disappointment, but push on to the ridge top - totally worth the climb for the view.

The trail was beautiful and the view of Mt. Constance was amazing. Also the area had a odor of roasted marshmallows. I'm not sure what plant it was giving off that scent but it was strong all the way from the trail head to the shelter.

**LOST PUPPY** we took our 6 month old puppy on his 2nd hike and he decided to run and not turn around to come back when called. yes, he was off leash, we were switching from his tactical vest and taking a break before hooking him up to his regular collar. another dog came around the corner, he ran to it and then decided to keep going. after 4 hours of up and down the trail, he never came back. His name is Gunner. tan, black face, chest, tail, and feet. hes pretty hesitant with new people , but if you see him or are able to hang on to him, please let the Quilcene Ranger Station know. they have my contact info. THANK YOU! Elizabeth

This trail is currently washed out, I was there on Saturday the 29th and watched a mud slide happen right in front of me about 1/4 mile from the trail head registration. it is unsafe to cross it it is actively moving at this time and water flowing down it. sadly not safe, I was so excited to go hike this but made the best of my day and found another hike.

Sunday, September 04, 2016

Saturday, August 20, 2016

We found this hike on accident actually. We were searching for another trail, and due to poor directions we ended up at this trail head. We decided to just wing it and it turned out to be a great hike! We were hiking at a fairly quick pace and we were definitely sweating and out of breath. There was an area of hornets that wouldn't leave us alone which became really frustrating, but overall, it was a pretty good hike. Some beautiful views at the top of the peaks, but other than that, nothing too different that sets it apart from other PNW trails.

Monday, August 15, 2016

Great trail! Nice August hike along the river, and once you cross over, it gets moderately steep at times, nice switchbacks, quiet lake on the way up. took about 3 hours to get up to the ridge, and about 2 hours to get back down. got buzzed by some hornets a bit, but the trail is mostly shaded and is kept cool by the river.

Thursday, June 02, 2016

Friday, December 04, 2015

Wednesday, November 04, 2015

Gorgeous. Good progressive incline followed by some solid switchbacks for a quick ascent.

Saturday, August 15, 2015

Lovely hike on a well maintained trail that initially follows along the creek at a fairly easy level. As others have indicated, once you get past the shelter (approx. 2 mi) and then cross the little bridge, be prepared for some extra work and a little bit of a scramble on a lesser used trail to reach the top, but you will find the challenge well worth the effort once you catch your breath and soak in the view. Blueberries galore to feast on and a view of Harrison Lake along the way!

Saturday, September 28, 2013

A very nice hike today, the weather was gorgeous and despite recent rains, the trail was in excellent shape. The trail guides list this hike as difficult but it really isn't to bad until you start the climb up once you cross the footbridge at the 2.6 mile point. The trail crews have done a good job of clearing out logs and providing drainage. I was hoping to find chanterelle mushrooms but I dint see any but there was a tremendous variety of opther beautiful mushrooms to photograph. The fall colors haven't started yet.There was snow on the ground at Harrison Lake
The trail becomes steep and at times a little slippery after crossing the footbridge so a good pair of shoes and hiking poles are very useful. Since I was taking my time and enjoying the scenery, It took me 4 hours to get up to 50/50 pass (elevation 5050 feet). The hike back down to the trail head took 2 hours.
Elevation gain 2400 feet, earlier in the season there were problems with hornets but there were none at this time, nor mosquitoes. A nice hike to take a dog. The road to the trailhead was in better shape than on my previous trips.

Saturday, May 25, 2013

Saturday, May 25, 2013

Thursday, July 26, 2012

I enjoyed this hike today, although it is not a "moderate" hike. I checked a hiking book I have and it is rated "strenuous". Went to the top and back in 4 hours. Gorgeous views!

Tuesday, July 10, 2012

First time doing this hike! Absolute stunning view!

Sunday, April 01, 2012

I visit this trail 12 or more times a year, it's one of my favorites. The creek is beautiful and the view at the top is amazing! The trail is a moderate climb until you get to the shelter about 3 miles. Just past the shelter the trail crosses Tunnel Creek and the difficulty rating turns to "demanding" all the way to the top at 5050 pass.