Tubal Cain Trail

Tubal Cain Trail is a 18.9 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Sequim, Washington that features a river and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from June until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

From Sequim, 3 miles east on U.S. 101 to Palo Alto Road. Turn right and drive 7.5 miles to Forest Service Road 28. Stay left and drive 1 mile to Forest Service Road 2860. Turn right and drive a long 14.5 miles to the trailhead.

We didn't have 4 wheel drive and were a little nervous getting to the trailhead, but we made it in and out without any real hiccup (though we moved sloooowly).

The trail was fairly flat and beautiful! It was an easy hike to the first mine opening. Our goal was the plane wreck, which was a steep hike, and far more challenging than the first bit, though it only took about 15 minutes from the mine. By here, there was snow covering much of the ground, and plenty of places where you wouldn't want to slip off the trail.

To get to the plane wreck, go around and past the rock that the mine shaft is in to the left. people talk about a sign that is hard to find, but even if you do it isn't clear where it leads.

Great trail to see a crashed B17

Trail is in awesome shape. Long drive to get there, hike up Tull Canyon and take a look at the old B-17 crash site of 1952. Trail up Tull Canyon is quite the climb, but well worth it. Enjoy everybody!

There is fresh evidence of a bear living in the mine shaft above the mine tailings. I came across the mine while on a stroll. I got about halfway back armed with only a cell phone flashlight and a plastic poop shovel before realizing the situation... There is a mine shaft as soon as the Tull Canyon trail breaches off to the left. Plenty of camping spots around the old mining area. Don't forget to check out Tull Canyon! Also, if you have time after seeing up camp, a hike to Marmot Pass would take you 3 hours or so and it is breathtaking! No water after you leave the mining area though..

Fun hike though I was unable to find the plane wreck.

Slight ascend up first 2 miles. Moderately flat trail. A few small creeks to cross, pack extra socks or wear proper footwear. Hiked up to Buckhorn. Careful crossing waters that lead you up passed first set of campsites. Lots of rusted metals and slippery rocks. Backpacked up to Buckhorn trailhead. Lots of variation in terrain. Dirt, snow, pebbles. Amazing view of Buckhorn Mountain midway up. Buckhorn lake is beautiful. Arrive early to get prime camping spot!

hard but fun and Worth it.

Hiked into Buckhorn lake. Trail is in great shape. Wild flowers are already out. There are some snow patches as you head down the last grade to the lake, but easily passable. I expect all the snow will be gone in a week. We camped at the larger campsite above the lake. There was room for about six tents. As the snow melts, more room will be available. There is also a small site on the lake shore that is clear.
Trail to B-17 crash us clear. Plenty of campsites nearby.
Road to trailhead is rough in a few places, but should pose no problems if you're careful.

A beautiful trail! There is a camp site about a mile (plus or minus 1/2 mile) past the fork to the Tull Canyon and B-17 Crash. after you cross the stream at this camp site you will take some switch backs towards Buckhorn Lake and Marmot pass. Don't take the "shortcut" that you see on this trail map unless you are in shape and/or are a seasoned hiker. The elevation change is exhausting and the trail is less maintained here. Also we came across snow towards the end of the "shortcut" where it meets with the easier switch backs (the part that's not the "shortcut"). The trail is cut into a very steep slope here and the snow was super slushy and yak tracks were not effective. We slipped and slid several feet before hitting some trees. We made it out in one piece, but I bent one of my trekking poles! My advice is start early and be prepared for steep snowy inclines (yak traks will not do it).

Tuesday, December 27, 2016

lots too see beautiful, and not too hard,....

Tuesday, October 25, 2016

Such a great weekend trip went to the mine and plane crash stayed two nights loving this place wet but made it work

Thursday, October 13, 2016

I am new to the area but love adventuring and checking out new hikes. Especially some that has interesting history. You have to pay attention to get to the Tubal Cain Mine Trail and it does take a while to get there, driving wise. But you can't beat the views! I only hiked to the trail that leads to the B17 crash site which can get pretty steep in some places, however, push through until you get there! Being a history buff myself, I was very motivated to reach the site and look around. As soon as I got home I looked up some information about it. I didn't have enough time to continue on the main trail to the mines, but I am definitely going back! Another tip: bring a backpack and pack extra layers of clothing like another jacket and gloves because it did get pretty chilly this late in the year. Oh and food!

Monday, June 27, 2016

It was a great walk in the shade most of the time very cool and comfortable. Seeing the wreckage of the B-17 was was exciting and thought provoking to think that some of those on board lost thier lives in the crash. We did see one mineshaft on the way up to the wreckage which was nice because we didn't have time to go up to the mines themselves.

Monday, June 13, 2016

Great little day hike. Didn't get to go to the plane crash though. Definitely would go again!

Wednesday, June 08, 2016

Great hike. Narrow trail in spots made it hard to stop or let others pass with dogs

Monday, May 23, 2016

Great trail. Lots of rhododendrons. Side hike up to airplane crash site at mine hole.

Sunday, May 08, 2016

great day hike. if it wasn't for the huge rock formation in middle of the forest, I may have walked past the mine.

Sunday, April 10, 2016

First time hiking this area. 8 of us (teenagers and 3 adults) hiked up to the mine camp, there was an old mining basket and some other things shown evidence of that. Snow in the area and couldn't find the caves or the plane wreckage. Still a Great hike. Can't wait to do it again when the Rhodies are in bloom.

Friday, March 25, 2016

Fairly easy hike. Small incline that isn't exhausting. Quite a few water features to have to cross so be careful as conditions can be slippery and there is a steep fall down one side of the trail that isn't railed for safety. Couldn't find the mine unfortunately, lost the trail in the snow up there still after 3.5 miles. Found evidence of a mine though. Will have to go back up in a couple months. Brought my two dogs, though, and they enjoyed the trip as always:)

Sunday, May 24, 2015

Really pretty hike, wasn't as hard as I was expecting. Incline most of the way there but not terrible, I feel like going down was harder. Nice people along the hike, we took our dog and carried our13 mo old. There was a fun bridge crossing a creek in the beginning and a few smallish water falls along the way. Great views going up the trail, it was a little scary on the side. Fun day hiking.

Monday, April 27, 2015

This is a really nice trail. I ran this on Saturday, hoping that it wouldn't rain. Much to my surprise, it snowed. It snowed the entire time! I made my way to the mine, but I didn't go all the way to the mine's entrance. The area sounds a little confusing as is and when everything was covered in snow, it was almost impossible to find the trails in this area.
On the way back I went on the short trail up to see the wreckage of the B-17 bomber plane. Definitely worth the side trip. On the way back to the trail head, the B-17 trail is about 0.5 mile before the Tubal Caine mine on the right hand side.
These two trails combined were just over 8 miles. I plan on going back when all the rhodies are blooming.

Thursday, March 06, 2014

This was an amazing hike! Fun for the whole family. Once you get to the mine entrance make sure you change into either boots or aqua shoes and maybe a raincoat as you will get wet! A few good flashlights is a must. We went in with 3 good flashlights and came out using our cell phones. Lol. Flashlights didn't care for water not sure there. Lol. When you get to the very end of mine you will hear a loud pounding of water, it like a mini waterfall you walk under. There will be a few sheets of metal on the ground, pick one up and hold over your head as you walk under. Once under people have left there business cards or wrote on walls to show they made it. It is a lot of fun, but is not recommended if you CLOSTERPHOBIC ! It is amazing and views from the top are unbelievable. Have fun and stay safe. :)

Tuesday, June 18, 2013

This is a great day hike. We hiked to a B-17 crash site & the old Tubal Cain mine. Fun for older kids. Great views.

Friday, April 26, 2013

The incredible diversity of wildflowers along the hillside beyond Tubal Cain Mine was a major reason for the creation of Buckhorn Wilderness. It is a beautiful and easy going hike under Buckhorn and Iron Mountains. It eventually reaches a panoramic view of the Dungeness River Valley.

Continuing along the ridge you will reach Mt. Buckhorn and look down upon Marmot Pass. This is one of my favorite hikes in the Olympics.

Snow is still steep past the mine.

Saturday, September 22, 2012

Perfect hike with my 9 year old son, as we stopped just beyond the mine next to a creek. Talking about the history and seeing the old mine parts was a good experience for us. We also took a side trip to see the plane crash, neat experience.

Saturday, June 16, 2012

This is an awesome over nighter, could be a day hike if you're experienced. It is roughly 10 miles to the summit of Buckhorn Mountain, elevation 6,992 I believe. The view from buckhorn, is worth the high, but slow elevation gain. You are able to see Victoria and Vancouver, port Angeles, sequim, the hood canal bridge, Mt Rainier, and on a clear day you can even see Seattle. I'd recommend setting up camp in buckhorn Meadows (roughly 1.5 miles from summit) which gives you an awesome sunset over the Dungeness valley and the Olympic mountain range. After snow melts you can get water right off the trail as far as 6 miles up so no need to weigh your pack down. No water at Meadows expect snow for melting. By far the best hike on the Olympic Peninsula.

Friday, March 30, 2012

If there is one word to describe the Tubal Cain Trail it must be - Wildflowers. The diversity of wildflowers on the hillside after you leave the old mine is nothing short of awe inspiring.