Tubal Cain Trail

Tubal Cain Trail is a 19.4 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Sequim, Washington that features a river and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from June until October.

From Sequim, 3 miles east on U.S. 101 to Palo Alto Road. Turn right and drive 7.5 miles to Forest Service Road 28. Stay left and drive 1 mile to Forest Service Road 2860. Turn right and drive a long 14.5 miles to the trailhead.

Slight ascend up first 2 miles. Moderately flat trail. A few small creeks to cross, pack extra socks or wear proper footwear. Hiked up to Buckhorn. Careful crossing waters that lead you up passed first set of campsites. Lots of rusted metals and slippery rocks. Backpacked up to Buckhorn trailhead. Lots of variation in terrain. Dirt, snow, pebbles. Amazing view of Buckhorn Mountain midway up. Buckhorn lake is beautiful. Arrive early to get prime camping spot!

hard but fun and Worth it.

Hiked into Buckhorn lake. Trail is in great shape. Wild flowers are already out. There are some snow patches as you head down the last grade to the lake, but easily passable. I expect all the snow will be gone in a week. We camped at the larger campsite above the lake. There was room for about six tents. As the snow melts, more room will be available. There is also a small site on the lake shore that is clear.
Trail to B-17 crash us clear. Plenty of campsites nearby.
Road to trailhead is rough in a few places, but should pose no problems if you're careful.

A beautiful trail! There is a camp site about a mile (plus or minus 1/2 mile) past the fork to the Tull Canyon and B-17 Crash. after you cross the stream at this camp site you will take some switch backs towards Buckhorn Lake and Marmot pass. Don't take the "shortcut" that you see on this trail map unless you are in shape and/or are a seasoned hiker. The elevation change is exhausting and the trail is less maintained here. Also we came across snow towards the end of the "shortcut" where it meets with the easier switch backs (the part that's not the "shortcut"). The trail is cut into a very steep slope here and the snow was super slushy and yak tracks were not effective. We slipped and slid several feet before hitting some trees. We made it out in one piece, but I bent one of my trekking poles! My advice is start early and be prepared for steep snowy inclines (yak traks will not do it).

lots too see beautiful, and not too hard,....

Such a great weekend trip went to the mine and plane crash stayed two nights loving this place wet but made it work

I am new to the area but love adventuring and checking out new hikes. Especially some that has interesting history. You have to pay attention to get to the Tubal Cain Mine Trail and it does take a while to get there, driving wise. But you can't beat the views! I only hiked to the trail that leads to the B17 crash site which can get pretty steep in some places, however, push through until you get there! Being a history buff myself, I was very motivated to reach the site and look around. As soon as I got home I looked up some information about it. I didn't have enough time to continue on the main trail to the mines, but I am definitely going back! Another tip: bring a backpack and pack extra layers of clothing like another jacket and gloves because it did get pretty chilly this late in the year. Oh and food!

Tuesday, June 28, 2016

Monday, June 27, 2016

It was a great walk in the shade most of the time very cool and comfortable. Seeing the wreckage of the B-17 was was exciting and thought provoking to think that some of those on board lost thier lives in the crash. We did see one mineshaft on the way up to the wreckage which was nice because we didn't have time to go up to the mines themselves.

Monday, June 13, 2016

Great little day hike. Didn't get to go to the plane crash though. Definitely would go again!

Wednesday, June 08, 2016

Great hike. Narrow trail in spots made it hard to stop or let others pass with dogs

Thursday, June 02, 2016

Monday, May 23, 2016

Great trail. Lots of rhododendrons. Side hike up to airplane crash site at mine hole.

Wednesday, May 11, 2016

Sunday, May 08, 2016

great day hike. if it wasn't for the huge rock formation in middle of the forest, I may have walked past the mine.

Sunday, April 10, 2016

First time hiking this area. 8 of us (teenagers and 3 adults) hiked up to the mine camp, there was an old mining basket and some other things shown evidence of that. Snow in the area and couldn't find the caves or the plane wreckage. Still a Great hike. Can't wait to do it again when the Rhodies are in bloom.