Tubal Cain Trail

Tubal Cain Trail is a 19.4 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Sequim, Washington that features a river and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, camping, birding, and backpacking and is best used from June until October.

From Sequim, 3 miles east on U.S. 101 to Palo Alto Road. Turn right and drive 7.5 miles to Forest Service Road 28. Stay left and drive 1 mile to Forest Service Road 2860. Turn right and drive a long 14.5 miles to the trailhead.

lots too see beautiful, and not too hard,....

Such a great weekend trip went to the mine and plane crash stayed two nights loving this place wet but made it work

I am new to the area but love adventuring and checking out new hikes. Especially some that has interesting history. You have to pay attention to get to the Tubal Cain Mine Trail and it does take a while to get there, driving wise. But you can't beat the views! I only hiked to the trail that leads to the B17 crash site which can get pretty steep in some places, however, push through until you get there! Being a history buff myself, I was very motivated to reach the site and look around. As soon as I got home I looked up some information about it. I didn't have enough time to continue on the main trail to the mines, but I am definitely going back! Another tip: bring a backpack and pack extra layers of clothing like another jacket and gloves because it did get pretty chilly this late in the year. Oh and food!

It was a great walk in the shade most of the time very cool and comfortable. Seeing the wreckage of the B-17 was was exciting and thought provoking to think that some of those on board lost thier lives in the crash. We did see one mineshaft on the way up to the wreckage which was nice because we didn't have time to go up to the mines themselves.

Great little day hike. Didn't get to go to the plane crash though. Definitely would go again!

Great hike. Narrow trail in spots made it hard to stop or let others pass with dogs

Monday, May 23, 2016

Great trail. Lots of rhododendrons. Side hike up to airplane crash site at mine hole.

Wednesday, May 11, 2016

Sunday, May 08, 2016

great day hike. if it wasn't for the huge rock formation in middle of the forest, I may have walked past the mine.

Sunday, April 10, 2016

First time hiking this area. 8 of us (teenagers and 3 adults) hiked up to the mine camp, there was an old mining basket and some other things shown evidence of that. Snow in the area and couldn't find the caves or the plane wreckage. Still a Great hike. Can't wait to do it again when the Rhodies are in bloom.

Friday, March 25, 2016

Fairly easy hike. Small incline that isn't exhausting. Quite a few water features to have to cross so be careful as conditions can be slippery and there is a steep fall down one side of the trail that isn't railed for safety. Couldn't find the mine unfortunately, lost the trail in the snow up there still after 3.5 miles. Found evidence of a mine though. Will have to go back up in a couple months. Brought my two dogs, though, and they enjoyed the trip as always:)

Sunday, May 24, 2015

Really pretty hike, wasn't as hard as I was expecting. Incline most of the way there but not terrible, I feel like going down was harder. Nice people along the hike, we took our dog and carried our13 mo old. There was a fun bridge crossing a creek in the beginning and a few smallish water falls along the way. Great views going up the trail, it was a little scary on the side. Fun day hiking.

Friday, May 22, 2015

Monday, April 27, 2015

This is a really nice trail. I ran this on Saturday, hoping that it wouldn't rain. Much to my surprise, it snowed. It snowed the entire time! I made my way to the mine, but I didn't go all the way to the mine's entrance. The area sounds a little confusing as is and when everything was covered in snow, it was almost impossible to find the trails in this area.
On the way back I went on the short trail up to see the wreckage of the B-17 bomber plane. Definitely worth the side trip. On the way back to the trail head, the B-17 trail is about 0.5 mile before the Tubal Caine mine on the right hand side.
These two trails combined were just over 8 miles. I plan on going back when all the rhodies are blooming.