Learn more

Tronsen Ridge Trail is a 10.6 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Cashmere, Washington that features a great forest setting. The trail is rated as moderate and is primarily used for hiking, horses, and mountain biking. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 10.6 miles Elevation Gain: 2,575 feet Route Type: Out & Back

Great trail but note off road vehicles and mountain bikers also utilize the trail. Otherwise, prepare for a lot of ascending and descending but great views! Flies were a little bad

great!

Bring a lot of water if you plan on hiking this ridge in the summer. When I arrived at the trailhead, at 11:30am, it was a cool 65 degrees. As I hiked well into the afternoon, the temperatures got up to the high 80's. I tracked just over 10 miles from point to point starting on the South end of the ridge with a gain of around 2,500 feet. I went ahead and submitted an update to the page. The road is rough, muddy in places but seems doable in any vehicle with AWD or 4WD. The directions on WTA are rather vague, (as others have stated) and I ended up taking a right at the giant mud puddle instead of hooking a left. Had I taken that left, it would've saved me about a mile of road walking on the Mount Lillian trail and the Tronsen Meadows Trail (1204). Nonetheless, I made it up to the trailhead signage and started the ridge. The bugs were non-stop as soon as I opened my door to my vehicle and were relentless to about the trailhead. As long as I kept moving, they subsided. The trail itself was mostly dry with a few downed trees that were easily stepped over and any mud puddle, (if any) could easily be skirted around. Like, I said. The ridge from point to point is ten miles. So bring plenty of water and wear sun screen unless you like the added punishment that Eastern Washington hikes will afford you. From the South end, heading North, it's a lot of down hill. So that means you'll be climbing up hill on the way back. There are gorgeous views of Mount Rainier all throughout and many small peaks to climb to get expansive views of the Cascades and of the easterly mountains. Mount Baker can even been seen from this ridge on a clear day. Side Note: I saw one car, (an AWD Subaru) at the trailhead so driving up there will save you two miles but the road is very rough with many downed trees to drive over and two spots that look very tough to get through. I would recommend parking at the Tronsen Ridge Meadows trailhead and walking in from there. I arrived back at the ol' Dodge Ram 4x4 at around 4:30pm. So a good four plus hours on the ridge. The hike is well worth the trouble finding the trailhead.

Decided to hike Tronsen Ridge today with my friend even though rain was in the forcast. We went in by five mile road which was very rough with loads of big potholes and mud puddles. My friend drives a Subaru which made it up and back without any flat tires but some scratches to the body. We had some drizzel but the hike was great. There were flowers everywhere, Lupines, Lewisia's, Penstemon, Arnica, Pussytoes, Balsamroot and many more. We were the only ones in the parking lot and we didn't run into anyone on the trail. A very beautiful hike.

We did this hike running from South to North starting off near NF-9712 just past the Wilcox Horse Camp near Blewett Pass. We started at this end to avoid the nasty road heading up to the northern Trailhead (see WTA trail page for more info). The forest roads were very well groomed and I had no trouble in my Mazda CX-5. Sedans/sporty cars may consider parking after the horse camp, as the last part of the road is a little rough. But, unless you are in your Mercedes, you should be ok. The trail itself offers incredible views from the get go, is well worn in and just all around beautiful. We saw some wildflowers, mostly Arrowhead Balsamroot, beautiful, but not super plentiful. There are also some really cool rock formations that you can climb up on for better views. That said, even from the trail the views of the Stuart range were superb as were the views eastward on to Wenatchee and beyond. Despite the awesome views and beautiful wildflowers, the trail was very lightly trafficked (that was the best part IMO). We got started @ 10 AM on a Sunday and only saw 3 other groups over our 5 hrs hiking. We did come across one group of dirtbikes, but they were courteous and we didn't hear them for long after they rode by. No wildlife sightings or blow downs that were of concern. Though, do be aware that if you go south to north as we did, you will be descending on your way out and climbing on your way home. This made the trek back much more difficult than the modest 2,500 elevation gain would seem to indicate.

This was a wonderful alpine (4500 ft to 6000 ft) Eastern Washington hike – if you can get to it. The road up ( 3.3 miles) was deeply rutted with a few mudholes that would make going up in a Sedan almost impossible without a shovel. The road was narrow and overgrown in many places, which caused a lot of that hair-raising screeching caused by tough brush scraping the side of my car. At the trailhead there was a Honda Element and a Toyota Highlander which along with my Pilot seem to be about the minimum type of car required (and preferably older models that don’t mind multiple assaults on their paint jobs). With that caveat, the trail itself was magical – lush green grass meadows with brilliant wildflowers and Ponderosa pine, distant views of snow-capped mountains and forested hills, interesting rock formations, and fresh deer and elk sign (although I did not see any animals other than numerous chipmunks and birds). The endpoint (5.3 miles) is almost anti-climatic and the magic (views and wildflowers) starts from the trailhead, so the casual hiker need not go the whole distance to enjoy this trail. For a trail that is open to motor biking, the walking surface was not too bad, a little rutted in places and a little rocky in others, but mostly just fine. No snow anywhere on the trail and almost no bugs (although I was lathered in Citronella). I was there on a relatively cool day and went through a lot of water because of the dry air, exposure, and light breeze, so I would recommend a hikers take a good supply- there were no water sources on the trail this time of year. In my opinion, for an eastern Washington hike, it doesn’t get any better than this this time of year.

A really pretty half day hike on a sunny Ridgeline with solid view both east onto the plains and west to the mountains. the road to the trail head has some moderate ruts and mud pools which were easy in my outback but I wouldn't recommend anything with much less clearance or traction then that. I got to the trail head at about 11 on a Saturday and there were three other cars there. I probably passed a total of 6 people/small groups while on the trail for 6 hours so it was pretty quiet. the one big downside to this trail is that you can see and hear the highway from the ridge fairly often during the middle 3rd of the hike.

I actually diverged from the path to Tronsen Ridge and did a loop consisting of sections of the Elk Trap Springs Trail, the Table Mountain Trail and the Naneum Rim Trail. There was some blowdown but the path was mostly clear. I saw lots of elk tracks. At the height of the Table Mountain Trail, I had clear skies and epic views of the Stuart Range. There weren’t many hikers up here, although there were dirt bikers and even some trail runners along the roads.

Tronson area turn around. Great view of (we think) the enchantments. Trail used for dirt bikes so rutted. Hiked may 1 so no trail maintenance yet, tons of blow down.

Moderada muy hermoso lugar

Sat Jun 01 2019

Road up is good, but narrow. Nice quiet hike with views of Rainier and Adams. Only went to Red Hill. Motorbike on trail at one point.

Thu May 31 2018

Spectacular views of the Enchantments much more appropriate for hike than bike. Saw no humans coming or going.

Sat Jun 24 2017

My wife and friends and I hiked Tronsen Meadow Trail and Tronsen Ridge Trail near Blewett Pass. We drove a 1.5 mile long bumpy dirt road (FR 7240) to Tronsen Meadow Trailhead. We are the only car at the trailhead. The weather was sunny and warm. We saw Tweedy's lewisia and other wildflowers. Mountain views were also great.

Wed Jun 21 2017

I only did half the trail because my dog looked whooped already and I didn't want him to heatstroke. The trail is very exposed and despite stopping at the shady spots and watering him up, this trail was a bit too much for my Pyrenees mix. The smaller sportier dog did fine and I had sunscreen and a hat on. But beware the sun is brutal out there. I had put on bug spray too but either it worked or I just didn't see that many insects. Lots of views although everything is quite distant, and wildflowers like crazy! I was so excited by all the wildflowers, can't even tell you. I entered from the south trailhead which is the downhill route meaning uphill on the way out. I also saved the spur trail to the high point of the trail for the way out, this was a mistake. It's a real leg burner coming from the other side but would have been a gentle grade from the other direction. Motorized vehicles can also use this trail but the dirt bikers we encountered were nice, stopped and commented they didn't know if the big dog was a polar bear or a mountain goat at first. Forest roads to the south trailhead were in good condition, if I were in a low clearance vehicle I would have been a little tense toward the end but I saw a standard sedan at the trailhead so... either way I was happy to have a truck. North trailhead seems questionable right now, definitely need clearance but with the big old boulder in the middle of the road, I didn't think my enormous crew cab long bed truck was a good idea either. Such a nice hike though!

Mon Sep 28 2015

Make sure you have a jeep or a off road vehicle to reach the trailhead.

Sun Apr 05 2015

Did this hike yesterday and it was pleasant though the trail is little more than a game track a lot of the way but I enjoyed not running across anyone. It's rather steep the whole 2.6 miles in but plenty of vistas to look at before getting all the way to the ridge. Ground is still pretty solid and frosty with a bit of mud and snow to cross. The main issue is the road coming in. You'll need something like a jeep or pickup that has 4WD to get to the trailhead easier. I'm not sure a car would even make it.