Learn more

Tomyhoi Lake Trail is a 6.8 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Maple Falls, Washington that features a lake and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from April until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Length 6.8 mi Elevation gain 3,333 ft Route type Out & Back

Wildlife

Waypoints (0)
Contact
Getting There

Washington State Tourism, P.O. Box 42500 , Olympia, WA, 98504-2500, Phone: 360-586-2088, tobyg@tourism.wa.gov

Directions from Glacier: Follow the Mt. Baker Hwy. 542 east for 12 miles to Forest Road #3065 (Twin Lakes Road). The road is located on the left hand side of the highway just beyond the Department of Transportation's Shuksan maintenance facility. Turn left on Twin Lakes Road and continue approximately 4.5 miles to the Tomyhoi Lake/Yellow Aster Butte Trailhead. Parking is plentiful at the trailhead and a toilet is also available.

Weather
UV Index
Daylight
Reviews (8)
Photos (59)
Recordings (3)
Completed (17)
Cormac Cox
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSat Oct 26 2019
HikingMuddyOff trailSnow

It's too late in the year to consider hiking this trail without snowshoes. The trail is covered in 24" of snow in areas and, especially after the peak, is mostly unrecognizable.

View Cormac's Recording
Cormac Cox
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSat Oct 12 2019
HikingMuddySnow

This was the second and final time I'll attempt this trail. It's beautiful but also extremely difficult, especially when there's slick snow. Hiker beware.

View Cormac's Recording
Tiffany Morton
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSun Jul 28 2019
Backpacking

My kids and I went backpacking in this trail. It was tough!! Steep elevation gain and decent. The trail was quite over grown and confusing in spots. We didn’t quite make it all the way to the lake for fear of not finding our way back. We were the only ones out there and definitely off the grid! If I had to choose between Tomyhoi lakes and Yellow Aster Butte, I would choose the latter next time. Both are pretty, but Yellow Aster has wide open views and is not as steep. I’m glad we did it, but probably don’t need to do it again.

Brad Otto
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarFri Aug 12 2016

Fun tough hike. Recommend an overnighter. Been on this one three times. First time had too much snow on downward side from gold run pass. Second time was an in and out the same day and that was a butt kicker. The third time we did an overnighter and wished we had planned for a two nighter as we were doing a fish survey. Lots of brook trout caught on a fly. All ranged in size from 4-9"

Sarah Gonzalez
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSun Mar 06 2016

I hiked this trail once and I don't think I will be doing it again. We went all the way to the lake on a day hike and I'm not going to lie it was very intense. The elevation gain is crazy! It was beautiful though and I'm glad I did it!

Rob Leetz
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarFri Aug 17 2012
Hiking

This was my first time to Tomyhoi Lake. Reviews elsewhere say it is not for the inexperienced. I'm far from being any expert, but this is definitely not a beginner level hike. You gain about 1800 feet in about 2 miles, and lose it all on the way to the lake, which is also around 2 miles. We fished for about and hour and a half. The fishing wasn't great, but it beats any day at work and the views were great. It would be a great overnighter for some more fishing. We hiked it on a Thursday and only ran into 4 people round trip from the head up to gold run pass. From the pass to the lake we saw nobody all day. There was a bit of avalanche debris near the lake, but with a little marking it was fine. Overall a good hike. Can't wait (but not too soon) to do it again.

Craig Smith
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarMon Aug 19 2019
Wolf Nickel
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSat Sep 15 2018
View Wolf's Recording