Tolmie Peak Trail

Tolmie Peak Trail is a 5.5 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Ashford, Washington that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from June until October.

Tolmie Peak Trail is a beautiful hike past alpine lakes and subalpine meadows to a fire tower lookout with great views of the surrounding peaks and a commanding view of Mount Ranier. The two-story structure houses a lookout station on the upper level and storage at ground level. With an elevation gain of 1000 feet, this lake trail takes hikers up to Eunice Lake, Ipsut Pass - part of the Wonderland Trail, and up to Tolmie Peak Lookout. The trailhead is located on the north side of Mowich lake in historic Mount Rainier National Park just southeast of Seattle and Tacoma in Washington state. An active volcano, Mount Rainier is the most glaciated peak in the contiguous United States, spawning six major rivers. A National Park Pass is required to access hiking trails in the park. NOTE: Check current trail conditions before heading out. Log footbridges frequently wash out during the winter and other conditions could be affecting the trail. For additional resources on Washington trails check out the Washington Trails Association.

1 hour ago

It was cloudy and still a lot of snow when I went and hiked at Tolmie but it was perfection. It was a long , moderate, and somewhat hard hike but its all worth it. Eunice Lake was so gorgeous and so with Mowich lake. Definitely want to go back there again. The only thing is you have to drive almost an hour in a gravel road.

stunning

Beautiful hike. Two lakes and when the day is clear, Mount Rainer is larger than life. Go early to beat the crowds. If you don’t have a National Parks pass, bring $30 cash for the day fee. There isn’t a ranger station to pay someone. You pay via an envelope and drop box. The gravel road leading there is about 15 miles, much better for a truck or SUV.

I wouldn’t say it’s a beginner trail but it’s not terrible difficult just steep near the end. Well worth it for the phenomenal view. After reading the reviews I did upgrade my rental to an SUV when I arrived in Seattle and am glad I did. It’s 16 miles of gravel roads to get there.

Some of the best views of the mountain, with beautiful lakes, a fire tower, flowers and decent trail. Great for scenic shots.

Did this hike yesterday, live in Snohomish County and left at about 5:30am and got to the trailhead at about 8:30am - long drive on the forest service road, keep headlights on even during the day...was a beautiful drive out to the trailhead and park. Bring plenty of water (I usually over hydrate the day/night prior to a hike and bring 2 water bottles with me), wasn't a very long hike but it is a fairly "intense" hike....completely worth all the sweat when you reach the lookout - gorgeous views of Rainier and even saw St. Helens in the background. Will definitely be doing this hike again, would recommend starting early as it is a very popular hike!

Beautiful views! I found it to be a moderate hike because there wasn’t much mileage. I do think there was more elevation gain than posted though. My watch stated we hiked 3700 ft, and I don’t know how exact these things are but I think it counted the elevation gain on the way back to the trailhead as well. No spikes needed for what’s left of the snow near the lake. The trail is somewhat exposed to the sun once you head up to the lookout from the lake. The bugs were biting quite a bit so definitely bring bug spray! We started the hike at 1245 and had no trouble finding a place to park. Dusty gravel road so be careful, visibility was awful when I drove behind someone else.

Absolutely stunning hike. Several miles of gravel road to the trailhead which isn’t bad if you plan on getting there early, but definitely experienced some tough conditions on the way down as the gravel was kicked up by the mass of cars and it was impossible to see the car ahead of me. As far as the hike, I’d say it’s more on the moderate side and it truly is spectacular. Go on a clear day and take in the views, and then make sure to jump into Eunice Lake to cool off. Also, bugs are starting to come out in full force, so bring your spray!

This is the second fire lookout hike I’ve done. Did Gobbler’s Knob and this one back to back. The views at the lookout are second to none in the park. Stayed the night and slept on the walkway of the fire lookout. The hike is easy. The only semi strenuous part is the last mile from Eunice Lake up to the lookout. But nothing beats staying for the sunset, staying the night and seeing every star in the sky illuminating the mountain, and then waking up early enough to catch the sunrise.

Great views of Mt. Rainer at the peak. Turn around look down into valley with some binoculars and you can see Seattle and surrounding cities. Pretty cool prospective. Bring swim suit and swim in Eunice lake after you reach peak on way down. Highly recommend.

Moderate to difficult. Plenty of places to filter water. Last .9 Miles is straight uphill. All worth it, even Took a swim in frigid Eunice lake.

snow by Eunice lake but otherwise clear. moderate hike if normal hiker easy if experienced hiker.

Fifteen miles of gravel road to the trailhead but the views are astonishing along the trail, and worth the trek to the top.

If you are a beginning hiker, like myself, this hike is not something i would consider easy. It’s 3 miles mostly uphill. But SO rewarding when you finish. The views are amazing throughout the entire hike which makes it easy to not give up. The gravel road going in is about 30 minutes long and there will most likely be people there already parked. Don’t forget to bring snacks, BUG SPRAY and lots of water.

Trail is moderately difficult, but nature gives the motivation to move on. After 2miles of the trail one might face powdery crisp ice which is slippery , better to wear spike shoes and have a hiking stick. Get lots of water to be hydrated and a snack pack to treat yourself once you reach the tolmie peak lookout. I went in July which seemed like the perfect timing with clear skies to watch the beautiful, magnificent, stunning Mount Rainier covered to snow like a white carpet. Loved it❤️.

Not a hard one to worry about. Please pick Sunny day because view will stun you out. This is getting really famous so make sure you reach early.

Aware of gravel road. Stop washing your car if you r planning to go on this hike because when you will come back you have to clean it.

Great hike. Plan to get to the top before 2 pm for the best views of Rainier. Substantial snow near Eunice lake, about 2/3 of the way up, but it is well packed and no microspikes are needed.

An absolutely stunning hike. To arrive at the trailhead, you have to drive on a few miles of gravel road. Once there, you hike along and around Mowich Lake up through a beautiful old growth pine forest. Keep going and you’ll start to hit snow. Even in July as we walked up to the next lake which is Eunice Lake, it was covered in snow. From here if you look up at the cliff, you can actually see Tolmie Lookout which is your destination! It looks like a doozy but you’re already halfway there. From here, follow the snow trail up to the hillside and begin the final climb. This is where it gets a little difficult but again, it’s worth it!! Soon you’ll arrive at the lookout and have one of the best views of Mt. Rainier! It was clear on the day we went with exception to a few clouds so hopefully you can see it how we did. If not, Tolmie Peak trail is still a beautiful trail on its own. It’s a strenuous hike and the uphill switchbacks will get to you but it’s totally worth the hike.

Great easy hike. Great views.

Road is open for the season! Got to the trailhead early and we were the first car there. Pretty good hike to the top - good amount of snow by Eunice Lake but we didn’t have any trouble or need our micro spikes. Not too strenuous, just bring extra layers for the top it can get real cold! No views today but worth the climb regardless.

Went here about April 21, 2018
The snow was so bad that you had to park 5 miles from the trail head. We tried to charge ahead but as the day got warmer it was much easier to break through the snow and was difficult to progress. We didn’t make it to the trailhead because our feet were so wet and even the dog didn’t really want to go further.
I am not going to write a bad review for a place that I didn’t get to see but I’m definitely going to come back. Very long road before trailhead (note there was 5 Miles we would’ve had to walk) and had a fair amount of potholes.
Have fun!

An incredible trail that is well worth the hike. I was a bit out of shape so it was a little harder than I expected. We got up early so we could beat everyone onto the trail which is a great general rule if you want to keep at your own pace.

The views are incredible. One of my absolute favorite hikes.

so gorgeous...

Hiked it in July 2017. Beautiful views. Beautiful hike. The last mile is basically straight up. Pack a lunch and enjoy it. Took the kids with us (almost 4 and almost 2 at the time) one in a hiking pack and the other on foot. Older one hiked all but the last mile up to the look out. Would do it again. Wish clouds hadn’t covered Rainier once we reached the top. But still stunning non the less.

SNOW UPDATE...ROAD CLOSURE
Hiked this 10-14-17
Road closed 4.2 miles from the trailhead/Mowich Lake so be prepared to hiked 4.2 miles in snowy conditions. The snow levels will change obviously with the temps going up and down but here is what we expericed on 10-14-17
-Parked car at gate closure and hiked 4.2 miles in
-First 2-3miles was packed snow approx 3-4", you will walk in one set of tire tracks the first couple miles.
-At approx 3-4 miles in the snow is deeper 4-8" and the snow is no longer packed and you just have one tire track to walk in to keep feet dry.
-Last little section, maybe 15-20min, the tire tracks stop and you are just left with footprints to walk in to stay dry.
-When you get to the lake we expericed 1-2ft of snow around the lake basin. The actual trail to the lookout was completely snowed in and unaccessible (at the time of hiking this).
- We were bummed we couldnt do the lookout but were satisfied with Mowich Lake...its was AMAZINGLY BEAUTIFUL with the fresh snow and crisp air. Totally worth hiking 4.2 miles up to the lake. We had clear sunny skies and about 40 degrees so it was enjoyable since we dressed accordingly.
Get out and do this hike BUT be ready for snowy conditions and a long hike in the snow. We pretty much power walked it up and it took us 2hrs and a pretty fast rate we hiked.
ALSO the last 10-20 min of the road up is an absolute pot hole nightmare. No snow on this part but just a ton of pot holes. Any car can make it up (we had a tiny car) just take your time and try to serve around them.
Get out there and see it with the snow its amazing!!!
I'll have photos in in the coming weeks of the hike on IG if anyone is interested @m_packmore

Awesome time! A little harder than I thought but so worth the sweat!

The 16 mile gravel road was jarring and scary at some points, but once you get there, it was all worth it. The trailhead gives you a beautiful glimpse of Mowich Lake through the trees. About 1 mile in, the trail descends for about 0.3 mile, then starts really going up. The last mile was pretty steep and muddy at point points, but very fun- especially when you start seeing Eunice Lake. The view at the top is phenomenal and takes your breath away for a different reason. Beware: the chipmunks are clearly too used to people and will climb on you to beg for food.

I'm going to review this a little differently:
The trail and the brilliant views at the fire lookout makes this one my top favorite! I've hiked the paradise and sunrise ... but this beats them both within the Mt. Rainier NP.
About the road to get to the trailhead, what a misery :( 15miles of dirt road, of which 9miles have some serious damaged road with potholes and no neon/radium indicators or even road fences! So if you skid off of the dirt road, well you will either make it to heaven or hell. Never back to earth :/ I rate this drive 2 ⭐️
Please make sure to drive at least a 4x4, carry a swimsuit if you want to jump in one of the 2 lakes, they are both clear and quite pleasant.

I posted a few pics of the potholes :D so you know they ain't not no tiny easy puddles!

Awesome Trail ! Unfortunately, I didn’t get to see much @ the top of the peak due to the fog but that comes with the season. It was still so beautiful ! I was definitely blindsided by the hour worth of potholes on the drive up & the $25 entry fee .. but still WORTH IT

Definitely worth the 10mi round trip hike! The 2nd half of it has been very slushy from the recent snow melting. I'd recommend hiking boots for traction coming down!

Amazing view at the top. Could see Mt. St. Helens clearly as well as Mt Baker in the far distance.