Tolmie Peak Trail

Tolmie Peak Trail is a 5.2 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Ashford, Washington that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from June until October.

This is a beautiful hike past alpine lakes to a fire tower look out over the surrounding peaks and a commanding view of Mount Rainier. You will want to take a camera and pack a lunch to lounge on the summit rocks in the sun. Note: The true summit of the peak is 300 yards down the ridge from the fire tower. Park Pass required.

Absolutely gorgeous hike through alpine meadows and past crystal clear lakes! I did this hike with 5 kids ages 2-9 years old and they were exhausted, but handled it like champs! My 2 year old rode in a backpack carrier for 2/3 of the trail, but everyone else made it all the way up to the lookout on their own.
Around the half way mark the trail has a patch of loose rocks as it skirts along a drop off (which was a bit nerveracking mostly because of the littles). There are also some pretty Intense switchbacks from Eunice Lake to the lookout but there are plenty of places to rest along the way for those who need it. The views from the lookout are beyond amazing.....100% worth the trip!
My only complaint was the crowds. We hit the trailhead around 8 am and made the trip up and back in about 5.5 hrs but were rarely alone. It was less crowded in the beginning, so next time we may shoot for a sunrise hike to avoid the crowds!

45 minute long bumpy dirt road, going 20-30 mph on the way in, but i did it with my Corolla. Pretty calm on first part of trail. Steep incline on last two thirds of trail. Great hike, good cardio. Two beautiful lakes :) and a great view at the top.

Enjoyed the hike. Moderately busy and bugs could have been a problem but was a little windy on the top which kept them away

We followed the directions from this app & it took us right to the trailhead with know problem. The road up for about 11 miles is a little rough, but no need for an AWD vehicle. The trail has a lot of rocks and roots, but it is doable. It took us 2 hours to get it the top and 1 hour down. We stopped and ate lunch for about a half hour and enjoyed the views. I would highly recommend this hike. The views are breathtaking. You pass two lakes and hike up to Tolmie peak and have a great view of Mount rainier. I think the hike was longer than 5.5 my phone app says it was closer to 7 miles.

8/16/2017 (Wednesday) - The trail is in perfect condition, dry but not dirty, not much rocks and roots, mostly smooth. The first half is very gentle, almost flat. Elevation gains at the last 0.8 miles from Eunice Lake to the lookout, but the incline is moderate, not steep. Traffic is not too heavy. The lookout is not crowded. The two lakes provides good views. Mt. Rainier looms so big in front of the look out, but the top is covered by cloud. It's late summer, there is almost no bug at the peak.

Good hike from Mowich lake to Eunice lake. My 6yr old son had fun going up and down the trail. His first major trail hike. The dirt road leading to Mowich lake was long, bumpy and brutal on my car. Only restroom is at pay station oh and theres plenty of flies and mosquitos flying around. Over all it is a good moderate hike!

One of the most beautiful hikes I have ever done! Pretty challenging at certain parts and ended up being closer to 7 miles, but the view is worth it. Also, this is a great way to beat the crowds, we only passed a few groups of people on our hike. Make sure to bring a bathing suit to cool off in Eunice lake, bug spray (even though I didn't think they were as bad as some of the previous reviews), and be careful on the dirt road coming into the park.

The view was definitely worth it!
The beginning of our journey started off a little rocky, as the last half an hour to get to the trailhead was a pretty washed out gravel path that kicked up plenty of dust. The trailhead was well marked and the hike was very enjoyable, I wish I would have brought a swimsuit to take a dip in the beautiful lake on the way up to the fire lookout. Something to keep in mind is that the only bathroom for your trip is at the pay station.

The hike is more like 7.5 miles but with lots of beautiful views, wild flowers, and Eunice Lake was so refreshing to cool off in! The only downfall was the amount of bugs, but with lots of bug spray, didn't appear to get bitten just more of a nuisance. Very challenging especially for a not so experienced hiker but not impossible. Ranger station had bear sighting report in area but didn't see anything other than a deer.

The drive up to the trailhead was a bumpy one with lots of potholes. You need a discover pass or $25 to park.