Tolmie Peak Trail

Tolmie Peak Trail is a 5.2 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Ashford, Washington that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from June until October.

This is a beautiful hike past alpine lakes to a fire tower look out over the surrounding peaks and a commanding view of Mount Rainier. You will want to take a camera and pack a lunch to lounge on the summit rocks in the sun. Note: The true summit of the peak is 300 yards down the ridge from the fire tower. Park Pass required.

SNOW UPDATE...ROAD CLOSURE
Hiked this 10-14-17
Road closed 4.2 miles from the trailhead/Mowich Lake so be prepared to hiked 4.2 miles in snowy conditions. The snow levels will change obviously with the temps going up and down but here is what we expericed on 10-14-17
-Parked car at gate closure and hiked 4.2 miles in
-First 2-3miles was packed snow approx 3-4", you will walk in one set of tire tracks the first couple miles.
-At approx 3-4 miles in the snow is deeper 4-8" and the snow is no longer packed and you just have one tire track to walk in to keep feet dry.
-Last little section, maybe 15-20min, the tire tracks stop and you are just left with footprints to walk in to stay dry.
-When you get to the lake we expericed 1-2ft of snow around the lake basin. The actual trail to the lookout was completely snowed in and unaccessible (at the time of hiking this).
- We were bummed we couldnt do the lookout but were satisfied with Mowich Lake...its was AMAZINGLY BEAUTIFUL with the fresh snow and crisp air. Totally worth hiking 4.2 miles up to the lake. We had clear sunny skies and about 40 degrees so it was enjoyable since we dressed accordingly.
Get out and do this hike BUT be ready for snowy conditions and a long hike in the snow. We pretty much power walked it up and it took us 2hrs and a pretty fast rate we hiked.
ALSO the last 10-20 min of the road up is an absolute pot hole nightmare. No snow on this part but just a ton of pot holes. Any car can make it up (we had a tiny car) just take your time and try to serve around them.
Get out there and see it with the snow its amazing!!!
I'll have photos in in the coming weeks of the hike on IG if anyone is interested @mpackmore

Awesome time! A little harder than I thought but so worth the sweat!

The 16 mile gravel road was jarring and scary at some points, but once you get there, it was all worth it. The trailhead gives you a beautiful glimpse of Mowich Lake through the trees. About 1 mile in, the trail descends for about 0.3 mile, then starts really going up. The last mile was pretty steep and muddy at point points, but very fun- especially when you start seeing Eunice Lake. The view at the top is phenomenal and takes your breath away for a different reason. Beware: the chipmunks are clearly too used to people and will climb on you to beg for food.

I'm going to review this a little differently:
The trail and the brilliant views at the fire lookout makes this one my top favorite! I've hiked the paradise and sunrise ... but this beats them both within the Mt. Rainier NP.
About the road to get to the trailhead, what a misery :( 15miles of dirt road, of which 9miles have some serious damaged road with potholes and no neon/radium indicators or even road fences! So if you skid off of the dirt road, well you will either make it to heaven or hell. Never back to earth :/ I rate this drive 2 ⭐️
Please make sure to drive at least a 4x4, carry a swimsuit if you want to jump in one of the 2 lakes, they are both clear and quite pleasant.

I posted a few pics of the potholes :D so you know they ain't not no tiny easy puddles!

Awesome Trail ! Unfortunately, I didn’t get to see much @ the top of the peak due to the fog but that comes with the season. It was still so beautiful ! I was definitely blindsided by the hour worth of potholes on the drive up & the $25 entry fee .. but still WORTH IT

Definitely worth the 10mi round trip hike! The 2nd half of it has been very slushy from the recent snow melting. I'd recommend hiking boots for traction coming down!

Amazing view at the top. Could see Mt. St. Helens clearly as well as Mt Baker in the far distance.

It was a great short hike and perfect for beginners. I took my little sister there for her first hike. I did not expect so much snow though and was not prepared. Overall, the view point and the view was all very worth it.

Fantastic trail! Was a far easier trail than was initially explained to me. Yes there are steep areas, but there are several places that are flat that you can get through fast to make up time spent on the steep areas. The steepest park was the last mile up to the fire lookout.

Highly recommended! An AWD or a 4x4 is also recommended due to the 20 mile dirt road you'll travel on to get up to the trail head. I went at sunrise and it was the most beautiful view of Mount Rainier Ive seen so far.

This trail starts off very easy, it's almost flat for most of the trail until the last .9 mile and then it's straight up to the lookout. Worth it, though.