My friend and I decided to do this loop yesterday. We missed the trail head (labelled "Cold Creek" off to the left), and started a few miles further up the road, just past the Mt. Catherine marker (1348). It was unclear to us that the gravel road is actually a significant part of the loop, so we got our wires crossed. There was one hairy part of the road that prevented most smaller cars from getting up the road. You need an SUV or something with clearance to get over this part.

Anyway, it definitely would have been helpful to have a working GPS map. We ended up starting the loop in a counter-clockwise direction. This part of the trail was fine.
Had we started where we were supposed to, I'm sure we would have quickly aborted. I say this because this is the section of trail we ended the hike with, and it was significantly overgrown with blackberry and raspberry bushes. Not well maintained at all. Several times we almost lost the trail before finding it again. This continues for almost two miles until you reach the junction to Mirror Lake. We did take a detour down that way, but there didn't seem to be any good lake access in the spots we were at (though we didn't search very far).

The rest of the trail was in good shape and not difficult. We didn't go to either of the peaks. I'd recommend doing just this part of it and skipping the full loop. That last part (i.e. the actual trail head entrance) really sucked. I even broke a pole it was so steep in places!