Learn more

Tieton Nature Trail is a 3.3 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Naches, Washington that features a river and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, bird watching, and mountain biking and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 3.3 miles Elevation Gain: 121 feet Route Type: Out & Back

I don’t know if the distance listed here is only accounting for one direction or just a section of the trail, but you can definitely go further than 3.3 miles. My distance (from bridge 1 to bridge 3 and back) was about 6.6 miles. But I really like this hike. Very mellow. The rock formations in the canyon are really nice and the river is surging and aquamarine this time of year.

Not my favorite but heard a couple snakes

fee

What a lovely day out (and, generally, easy physical distancing! Lots of great scenery. Really in the transition zone here so it’s sagebrush, aspens, prickley pear, ponderosa pine and more. The climb after the third footbridge heading west is worth it: amazing wildflowers right now. No snakes spotted today, likely because there was ample foot traffic.

Arrived at 930a to only one vehicle in the visitor center parking lot. Pit toilets are open but visitor center restrooms are closed. It was a lovely morning, 52 and mostly sunny with an occasional breeze. I followed the trail for 4.5 miles stopping often to take pics. Passed only a few folks on the trail and saw one team of climbers above. I tried following WTA instructions but after the third bridge I never found the vista that makes a good turn around. Not really any good places to stop and take a lunch break either. I finally got tired and just turned around to go back. No snakes on the trail for me today thankfully. Made it back to lot just before 3p to find 3 other vehicles. Nice hike but it parallels the noisy highway hence only two stars instead of 3.

closed for quarantine

Great for trail running! Took the two corgis and they loved being able to get in the river when they needed to cool off. Pretty dry for the most part and fairly flat with minor inclines.

Nice day out! our 3 boys did great youngest 6 yrs old. Took our little chiweenie and it is a very nice easy hike to get the started again this spring.

Trail was easy, took our two dogs, our 5 year old and our 8 year old boys. All handled trail without issues. Got some beautiful pictures along the way. Great starter trail for the kids!

nice and easy trail. great for family with little kids to take to. A few nats still and spider webbing through the trees which gets pretty annoying.. minor incline/decline in a couple parts so not to bad for people who are trying to recover from sport injuries to the lower body or back.. a lot of beautiful colorful foliage right now..

Beautiful fall colors and canyon walls. Tons of Lewis's woodpeckers stashing acorns along trail!

There’s not really a designated trail. It’s nice to view but very unsafe. Saw a few rattle snakes during late September. So be very careful.

took a side trail up ridge, good views.

Sun Jun 16 2019

River was nice. got off trail and climbed up the mountain a bit. would recommend

Sun Apr 07 2019

we came in the beginning of spring and were very happy and surprised with the range of foliage and terrain. from a flat, flowered valley and great views of the canyon on either side, the trail progresses into a woodsy area without much incline which is great for beginner level or a light stroll.

Tue Apr 02 2019

Nice walk in the park with hardly any elevation gain. Hiked from oak creek to the suspension bridge. In and out in less than 2 hours. Nice hike. Suitable for anyone. We saw someone rock climbing which was cool!

Sun Mar 31 2019

Mon Mar 25 2019

Nice easy trail with views of the canyon. Several parts of this trail follows close to the Tieton river. Still had a lot of snow on the trail, along with mud from the melting snow, but easy and passable. (no need for snowshoes, but trecking poles would be good right now). We didn't make it to the bridge, as our dog was tuckered out at the 1.2 mile mark. (we parked by the East entrance near the preserve entrance). we started mostly in the shade and it was a bit brisk, but about 15-mins in we were shedding our jackets.

Sat Mar 09 2019

closed
Sat Jan 26 2019

My husband and I took our little one on this 2 weeks ago. It was technically closed I think but the gate was open and people were still using it with snow shoes and is dog friendly. The river was going strong and was a nice feature of the trail. All in all a easy relaxing jaunt to get some steps in with the family.

Sun Sep 16 2018

Nice, mellow hike. Not too many people. Enjoyed seeing the rock climbers in the beginning of the path. My dog did find a rattlesnake in the middle of the path, but it quickly retreated under a tree. Still a little scary, suggest being wary.

Fri Apr 20 2018

I went whit my little family last weekend and it was nice some hikers up there somewhat trafficked

Sat Mar 31 2018

Easy trail to hike. No insects or snakes out.

Sat Dec 23 2017

Easy and close in. Nice views of Tieton River and big basalt cliffs. Fun swinging bridge.

Mon Jul 04 2016

I went by myself on this hike and maybe it would have been a little bit better with a partner. Some parts of the hike is covered in plants where rattlesnakes may pick to hangout at. This kept me on my toes alot. I think I was mainly focused on the what was around my feet more than the actual view. A mile in a heard rattlers, so that when I turned around and went home. Lots of wild life, and beautiful scenery, but just wasn't for me.