Three Summits Loop Trail

Three Summits Loop Trail is a 9.1 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Issaquah, Washington that features beautiful wild flowers and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

This is not an easy hike going up or coming down, but the view of Rainier is well worth the nuisances on Trail 3 and the harshness of the elevation. Poles made both up and down more manageable but be prepared for some sore knees from the descent!

Tiger Mountain Trail #3 is crowded and can get a bit annoying with people playing music and/or shouting but if you continue past the Trail 3 "summit", you'll be rewarded with a VERY quiet hike and on clear days a stunning view of Rainier at the Hiker's Hut. I did this entire loop today and got about 11 miles out of it.

The Hiker's Hut was a welcome surprise. I left a couple helpful items there and it was nice to sit on a padded bench for a moment!

I've added a couple pics of the Rainier view.

I knocked off a star because the loop dumps you out onto a road that takes you through a tent city and has you walking on asphalt for .5 mile or so. The folks in tent city are very polite but I felt kind of crappy for basically walking through their "front yard" and I wasn't happy with having to walk on asphalt until Highpoint Trail picked back up again close to the upper parking lot.

Gorgeous weather for the hike, 2652 total elevation gain, 11.16 miles total for me.

Trail was very defined all throughout the summits. Did it at night to get a view of Seattle and the surrounding areas. beautiful view and there is a "hikers hut" with electric sockets and benches to rest halfway through. We did it with 60 lb rucks, definitely challenging but not as bad as the description.

Saturday, August 20, 2016

Saturday, April 16, 2016

4/15/2016 (Friday) -- Solo 8:15am - 1:45pm, cloudy, foggy on upper hills, 50-45-50F. It's hard to find the trail for writing a note of this trip though it takes Chirico and Poo Poo Point to start and return, it's main part is the loop above PPP, sequentially "One View - TMT - Seattle View - West Tiger RR Grade". While moving up to PPP at 9:30am, it was the quietest trek in my six visits. I encountered 7-8 groups of early birds coming down, but no one surpassed me. This time, PPP is not my destination but just a midway station. The loop above PPP was rarely used, so I encountered nobody, just a 4-member team of volunteers maintaining TMT. Though weather forecast showed that temperature at noon might rise to nearly 60F with sun breaks, I found it remained at 45-46F and densely foggy on the upper parts of the hills. I moved so close to the summits, but since I had visited them recently and there was no view in this cloudy day, I decided not to visit them again, but I did find a small loop that I can try in the future for WT1, which provides an awesome view in a fine day. I like the solitude of TMT and WTRR. WTRR is more interesting than expected as it features 4-5 running creeks and well-built footbridges and mixes a smooth "broadway" with sections of steep ups and downs. Seattle View is a very steep, unmarked trail provides no view but a shortcut between TMT and WTRR. Both One View and Seattle View are not marked on the AllTrails map. In the middle of One View, there is a plaque reading "15 Mile Gap". It took me about 3 hours to complete the loop, so I had lunch at PPP at 12:30. There were many people, including kids in spring break, and more people kept coming up on my way down to the parking, where temperature remained 50F (it will rise to above 80F in next two days!)

Sunday, January 31, 2016

Great! It definitely was not as difficult as the description. The best part of the experience is the diversity of the hike. Mud, snow, waterfalls, and elevation gain! Don't get me wrong, it was not easy. Just not difficult. Remember , it's not three summit if u do not summit the three peaks!!!