Three Summits Loop Trail

Three Summits Loop Trail is a 9.1 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Issaquah, Washington that features beautiful wild flowers and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Did West Tiger #3, #2, #1, then TMT (instead of the High Point and Lingering Trails), 8 miles and 2959 ft elevation for me. It was tricky finding the bridge to #2 from #3 - fortunately a fellow hiker pointed me right to it after seeing me wander around. Gorgeous views from #1, though the mountain cicadas by the Hiker's hut were kinda creepy sounding, ha.
Also, I was so happy to see a solo woman hiker wearing an AllTrails tshirt with a big friendly smile on her face! Thanks for that, made my hike! :D

This is not an easy hike going up or coming down, but the view of Rainier is well worth the nuisances on Trail 3 and the harshness of the elevation. Poles made both up and down more manageable but be prepared for some sore knees from the descent!

Tiger Mountain Trail #3 is crowded and can get a bit annoying with people playing music and/or shouting but if you continue past the Trail 3 "summit", you'll be rewarded with a VERY quiet hike and on clear days a stunning view of Rainier at the Hiker's Hut. I did this entire loop today and got about 11 miles out of it.

The Hiker's Hut was a welcome surprise. I left a couple helpful items there and it was nice to sit on a padded bench for a moment!

I've added a couple pics of the Rainier view.

I knocked off a star because the loop dumps you out onto a road that takes you through a tent city and has you walking on asphalt for .5 mile or so. The folks in tent city are very polite but I felt kind of crappy for basically walking through their "front yard" and I wasn't happy with having to walk on asphalt until Highpoint Trail picked back up again close to the upper parking lot.

Gorgeous weather for the hike, 2652 total elevation gain, 11.16 miles total for me.

Trail was very defined all throughout the summits. Did it at night to get a view of Seattle and the surrounding areas. beautiful view and there is a "hikers hut" with electric sockets and benches to rest halfway through. We did it with 60 lb rucks, definitely challenging but not as bad as the description.

Thursday, November 24, 2016