Learn more

Thorp Mountain Trail is a 6.7 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Roslyn, Washington that features a great forest setting and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking and nature trips and is best used from June until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Length 6.7 mi Elevation gain 2,303 ft Route type Out & Back

Photos (116)
Recordings (21)
Completed (119)
Hika Holic
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarThu Jul 09 2020
Hiking

Went up to the lookout last night. It wasn’t too busy as I started at about 5:15pm. I did pass 7rigs and a dirt bike on the dirt road, however only passed a handful of people on the trail. Flowers are in full bloom. Views were pretty good. Just a few very small snow patches. Saw only 1 large group camped at the lake.

Calvin Wheeler
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSun Jun 21 2020
HikingIcyMuddySnow

So, I hadn’t seen any trail reports on this trail for a while. Decided to give it a go. The creek crossing at the start is a bit tricky, plan on getting wet. You’ll see the sign for Thorpe lake and Little joe lake, Thorpe is to the left. After a short while you’ll notice the trail splits again, go left! To the lake is pretty easy and nice. Lots of campers on Father’s Day weekend. I pushed on to the lookout.....and was in for a surprise! Snow was intermittent on the way up the hill, and I wore my spikes just for safety. I took the “no name ridge” to Kachess ridge over to what I believe might have been red mountain trail? Then I descended via an old abandoned forest road(my map shows 4312-121). It was a fun trip but with the snow you need good NAV and be ready for long slogs as the snow was kinda soft in places. The “road” down was very overgrown in places too!

Gus B.
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarTue May 26 2020
HikingRocky
Brenna Gammell
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarGray StarGray StarSun May 17 2020
FloodedSnowWashed out

okay so. this hike is probably amazing and I will be back to do it, but on 5/15 we attempted this. you have to park about .2 miles from the trailhead because of snow on the road. then immediately when you get on the trail you have to cross a river (flooded creek) we took our boots off to cross. we continued up the trail and its covered in snow.. the creeks are flooded and trees are down everywhere. if you want to attempt it go for it but this review is just to mentally prepare you. we got about 2 miles in and turned around, we got too late of a start to maneuver all that.

Ross James Wallette
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarWed Mar 25 2020
SnowshoeingSnow

In winter, when French Cabin Rd is not drive-able, it's approximately 16-17 miles roundtrip to the lookout and back. It was an 18 mile single day roundtrip for us since we were busy chatting and passed the trailhead start, then decided to go back to it. My Alltrails recording included part of the evening before just messing around and missed part of the morning up. The day of we started about 6:15am and we were back around 11pm. It was 18 miles not 22.6. Other than the difficulty in shear length of miles, I think this is a wonderful winter snowshoe trip. My hiking partner for the day had never hiking in snow before but completed the entire trip (she was very determined). Full Trip Report: https://rossjames.net/blog/thorp-mountain-snowshoe

View Ross's Recording
Tracy Zagar
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarThu Nov 07 2019
HikingIcySnow

Hiked 11/5, had the whole trail to myself up and down! While most of the trail is in great shape and the top is clear of snow, there are sections of steep, slippery snow and large sheets of ice. At least one section is flowing water with ice on top. Spikes and poles are very helpful and some careful navigating around icy patches is required. Be careful! I imagine long pants would be helpful year round due to low brush along the sides of the trail. The view at the top was amazing!

Kay Zeiss
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarWed Oct 30 2019
Hiking

Did this hike a few days ago. So beautiful! There were only 5 other people on the trail, and all coming down. I had the lookout all to myself at sunset. I used spikes on the way down, and poles were helpful for the numerous creek crossings. There was ice, snow, mud, and running water to walk through. Come prepared! It was v chilly. Took 3.5 hrs door to door with a few quick breaks. The road to get there was a little rough in places, but totally passable with a Prius. Also if anyone finds a right handed black glove, please let me know! I’ll rendezvous to get it. Kayzeiss@gmail.com

Stephanie Sellinger
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMon Oct 28 2019
HikingRockySnow

Hiked 10/28 in great weather: blue skies, about 40 degrees at trailhead. There's water on trail, in trail, around trail: wear waterproof shoes. The only place it's more than ankle high is at the initial creek crossing. There is snow and ice further up. Nothing dangerous right now, but yaktrax on my waterproof trail runners were nice to have for that. Microspikes would be overkill in current conditions, but they'd be just right if it gets colder or snows, at least for the hike down. Saw just one set of hikers (coming up on my way down) and had the lookout to myself. Windy but sunny up there. Little exposed, but right now the snow and ice in that top section is minimal. It's more of an issue in the shady areas on the mountain side. Gorgeous views at the top. Totally worth it.

Kelly Dyjak
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarTue Sep 03 2019
HikingBugsOver grown

All trails says 6.7 miles round trip.. it was 8 total. Not a huge difference but that also included extra elevation gain so took longer then anticipated. Trail is over grown I got cut up a bit so I’d suggest wearing long pants and a long sleeve shirt. Other then that views are INCREDIBLE!

View Kelly's Recording
Tina Bohl
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarMon Jul 29 2019
HikingBridge outOver grownRockyScramble

Loved this hike! Would rate it difficult, as the climb from Thorp Lake to the lookout is fairly steep and covered in loose rock in places. Signage made it easy to find from FR 4312. Very windy at the top, so bring a jacket, even on hot days.

Nicole Boggs
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarTue Jul 16 2019
HikingBugsOver grown
View Nicole's Recording
George Reece
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarSun Jun 09 2019
HikingBlowdownScrambleSnow

Hiked to the top of Thorp Mountain lookout, some snow still on the trail close the top. Cloud cover blocked much of the views. Trail will be much more visible and wildflowers will be best mid June.

Ilmira Nugumanova
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarThu Jun 06 2019
Hiking

The bridge to cross Thorp Creek has been destroyed. We had to turn around as there were a hole bunch of kids in our group as there was no easy way for them to cross the river.

Molly Frank
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarTue May 28 2019

Hiked the Little Joe Lake trail that forks off of Thorp trail just a few yards down the road after you cross the creek the first time. Nice steep trail, crosses over some streams and is easy to lose the trail as you approach the lake at the top. Fun hike with lots to see and few people.

lorne zimmermann
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarMon Aug 13 2018

also did this via the Knox Mountain Trail. The road is sketchy for the last few hundred feet so a high-clearance vehicle is mandatory. Ran into groups of people from four different trails

Nicole Boggs
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray StarMon Aug 06 2018
Hiking

2 bear sightings on 7/9! Overall, wonderful hike. Slightly overgrown in some areas but easy to navigate through. Came extremely close to two different cinnamon bears on my way down the trail and was forced to stand my ground with my dogs till they backed away. Most bears I encounter just run away as soon as they see my dogs and I, but not these ones! Keep your eye out!

Claudia Hansen
Yellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarSun Jul 22 2018
Hiking

Challenging terrain but well worth the effort! 360 degree views from the top. Mt. Rainier, Lake Kachess, 3 Queens, Mt. Stuart and more. Bring bug spray!