Third Beach Trail to Taylor Point

Third Beach Trail to Taylor Point is a 5.4 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Forks, Washington that features a river and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

Distance: 5.4 miles Elevation Gain: 866 feet Route Type: Out & Back

beach

From Port Angeles, West for 54 miles on US 101 to La Push Rd (Hwy 110.) Right for 8 miles to Y in road. Left at Y on La Push Rd for 3 miles to the trailhead on the left.

Quick and easy hike with awesome views.

The trail is maintained well for 90% but as you near the ocean it becomes rugged. You can get down to the beach but you have to traverse the washed up logs. The beach is nice and offers a good view.

It was a great trail overall except for a few fallen trees, however, about five minutes away from the beach there is a washed out peice of the trail and all that's been reduced to a mudslide. there is a rope affixed to a sturdy tree to assist you on the way down and isn't too much trouble but if you're looking to bring little kids all the way to the end I would not recommend it. The beach itself is amazing though and it is a beautiful view of the ocean.

Could not figure out how to get down to beach. It looks like the trail/cliff is washed out. I couldn’t see where the trail would have continued, though.

I did this hike w my 11 yo son and it was just enough. The views at the beach are spectacular! Very easy except for the last descent to the beach where one has to use the traction assistance of a rope due to erosion and mud. Added just enough excitement for my son. We found this trail while visiting during the NPS shutdown and glad we did.

Saturday, September 22, 2018

Cool hike. Logs are a little difficult to get over to get to the beach, but totally worth it to get to the beach. Rocks and a waterfall make this an amazing photo opportunity.

Wednesday, August 22, 2018

Very fun trail to backpack. If you hike at low tide, you can cut off loads of forest mileage to make it to different camping beaches. On the way out we missed low tide, so we had some entertaining rope climbs up into the woods, through the woods, and back down to several beaches. Be sure to have good climbing shoes if you choose to go the forest route, and also for climbing over rocks on beach corners at low tide. My family ended up camping at Toleak Point, and our campsite was a cool gem. Lots of things have washed up onto the beaches, but previous visitors have done some awesome jobs recycling. Our campsite held three fishing nets that had been converted into sturdy hammocks, that full grown adults could swing in without them breaking. Another swing made out of a plank and rope was super fun to swing on, on the beach with beautiful sunset views. Great tide pooling opportunities, crabs, starfish, anemones, and I even saw several groups of otters. Overall, my first ocean backpacking experience was wonderful.

Sunday, August 13, 2017

The hike isn't that spectaculair but sleeping on the beach and waking up in the morning with breathtaking views makes it all worth it!

Monday, July 31, 2017

Lovely hike through the forest, declines quickly at the end. Be prepared for climbing over a lot of driftwood to get to the beach. We were there midweek and it was pretty quiet out there.

Tuesday, July 04, 2017

Fun

Thursday, January 12, 2017

One of the best easy hikes in the area. the beach views are amazing and the trail is well traveled. I am a slow hiker since a knee injury and really can only do gradual climbs. the only tricky part is the log jam at the beach itself, I just scurried over it on my butt.

Saturday, July 30, 2016

This is a well-kept, well-travelled trail. The opening jaunt through the forest is pleasant on a cool morning, but the beach itself is heavily occupied (at least during my visit in late July). Traveling beyond Third Beach requires some steep and slippery rope and plank climbs, but the rewards beyond are spectacular columns off the shore with significantly more privacy.

Thursday, June 02, 2016

Hike through a rain forest to a beach with views of distant stone monoliths.

Sunday, August 10, 2014

me and my buddies did Third Beach to Hoh river. took us two days but was one of the best hikes i have ever done

Monday, August 27, 2012

It is good for what it is. We went further and the trail was really muddy.

Friday, August 17, 2012

When we drove up to the parking area, my heart sank. There were so many cars there that I almost turned around and went back home. I'm glad we didn't! We only saw 3 or 4 people on the trail and almost no one on the beach. We watched seals bobbing just offshore and found a secluded spot to just relax. The trail is well-marked and easy to navigate. You feel so remote at this beach. A beautiful place.

Thursday, April 12, 2012

The trail itself is nothing great, however, it is a gateway to some incredible scenery along the Olympic Peninsula coastline.

Thursday, March 29, 2012

NO DOGS ALOUD. we went here bc the description said dogs. When we got there with our dog, there were signs all over saying no dogs. Really muddy so wear boots. We just went a little ways in and figure we better turn around after we saw about the 5th no dog sign.