The Rendezvous Mountain - Heifer Hut Ski Tour

The Rendezvous Mountain - Heifer Hut Ski Tour is a 12.6 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Winthrop, Washington that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

1952 feet

skiing

snowboarding

Cross-country skiing tour to the Heifer Hut on Rendezvous Mountain The Methow Valley has one of the largest trail systems for cross-country skiing in the United States. There are hundreds of kilometers of cross-country skiing trails that are groomed and maintained by the MVSTA (Methow Valley Sport Trails Association). You'll need to buy a ski pass for each day you use these trails on your XC skiing gear. Mountain Biking trails open May - November.

This is a good 11.1 mile mountain biking single track loop with just over 1,700 ft elevation spread throughout the trail. It is very well marked and offers some views, but nothing spectacular. Still, good for a 1.5 to 2 hour workout. NOTE, parking is located 1.7 miles up NF 100 (very narrow, steep rocky gravel road), which is a right turn off Goat Creek Road (off 20). This is not what is indicated on Alltrails since it takes you to the cross country start.

We have enjoyed and not enjoyed our skiing experience at these huts. The launch point is up a long road that has typically been quite icy and slow in winter. If the snow is good, the skiing is wonderful. We had a couple years of very poor conditions in January, such that most of our party had to walk or be snowmobiled out because the ice was so bad on the hills.

The hut we stayed in more recently, Heifer Hut, is small and very rustic without a view besides forest--would have been more comfortable if we had been a smaller group. I would not recommend coming to this hut with the number of people it is said to accommodate.

I have had problems over the years with the customer service at these huts. I have not found it professional or very consistent/organized. This year was the worst when we made a reservation at a nicer hut, got a confirmation, and then a week later received a cancellation notice saying the cabin was double booked. The notice was curt and with minimal apology (almost seemed to verge on blaming us for putting them in the double booking situation--highly unprofessional in my book).

I wrote back asking for more information, and got a reply describing how stressed they are (dealing with rodents and freezing conditions) and letting me know that even though the conflicting booking happened after ours--these were "long timers" (longer than us, I guess) and would be given priority. I will leave it to the reader to make their own judgement about the correctness of this decision on their part.