The Quillayute Needles Second Beach Trail

The Quillayute Needles Second Beach Trail is a 4.5 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near La Push, Washington that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until August.

Distance: 4.5 miles Elevation Gain: 564 feet Route Type: Out & Back

beach

From Port Angeles, West for 54 miles on US 101 to La Push Rd (Hwy 110.) Right for 8 miles to Y in road. Left at Y on La Push Rd for 4.5 miles to the trailhead on the left.

Beautiful hike to the beach! Pretty steep, unexpectedly so. Was a little slippery because of all the rain the night before. Lots of varieties of mushrooms to see on the way down. It was a bit of a scramble over the driftwood logs but it's all smooth sailing after that. Be sure to check the tide maps! I could imagine it gets pretty dicey at high tide.

very fun easy hike! I'd wear sandals instead of shoes because it's a Sandy walk. keep an eye out off a distance for puffins and a active bald eagle

This was a beautiful hike. Short hike through the woods to get to the beach. So many starfish and sea anemones! I really enjoyed it.

So pretty! Parking gets full pretty fast, people like to camp on the beach overnight (me, too!). Easy walk in. Stairs built in. Climbing the driftwood to the beach is the most difficult part, and I spotted a snake here (: Cool tidepools along the beach with a little cave at the end if you walk the whole thing! Sleeping here you get an eerie noise of wind blowing through the keyholes of the rock formations in the water. Very cool. Windy. Bring fire supplies! Enjoy!

Sunday, September 23, 2018

Beautiful beach, easy hike. Great way to spend on the beach if the weather is clear. The trails is easy and the beach has plenty of spots to check out.

Monday, September 03, 2018

A perfect way to spend your morning thinking about the things that matter to you. The path down to the beach is well maintained and mostly level without many obstacles or steep grades. I was lucky enough to enjoy the walk without the fog that moved with the tide on this day. The visibility was roughly 40' when I arrived but quickly improved as the morning progressed. This is an easy hike for all ages.

Friday, June 08, 2018

Great sandy beach, amazing views. Pretty easy hike.

Sunday, June 03, 2018

Absolutely magical! First time, will be back..,!

Thursday, May 10, 2018

Amazing views. Great walk at low tide. Plenty of driftwood on the beach. Short walk down through the woods before reaching the beach.

Wednesday, May 02, 2018

Awesome hike! The walk through the woods is already fantastic and you haven't even gotten to the good part yet. Was pretty calm: only ran into six other people.

Sunday, February 25, 2018

Stunning views of the sea stacks and ocean.

Sunday, January 28, 2018

It’s a great hike down to the beach but is almost entirely downhill. Once reaching the bottom, there are large amounts of driftwood to navigate before reaching sand. It’s truly a sight once you’re on the beach. The only let down was some trash from humans. The walk back was entirely uphill and tiring. The trail is one lane only so sometimes you have to stand aside to let traffic pass. Be prepared to be a little wore out after traversing sand and the uphill climb combo

Friday, December 08, 2017

Best place on the planet

Friday, September 01, 2017

We hiked here in May 2017. It was a cold and drizzly day, but the hike itself to the beach was pleasant. The beach was so neat! We were there at low tide and got to see the tide pools and all their little critters. I wish it had been a bit clearer, as we couldn't see out into the water very far, but it was still a great experience. And it was amazing how cold that water was!

Sunday, July 16, 2017

Been coming here for about 20 years. It's so beautiful and a family favorite. We decided to backpack this time with our 3 kids ages 14, 12 and 8. Easy enough for them. However, I have never seen it as busy as this time. Crazy amount of people hiking down with coolers, cases of beer, etc. Thanks to the internet, this place has gotten very popular. Which makes me wonder about the cleanliness of this beach after tons of people have camped on the beach and left garbAge and their poop behind. There was so much human feces barely buried under the sand. Something needs to change.

Tuesday, June 27, 2017

Just wonderful!

Friday, June 23, 2017

Love, love, love. My 3 children and I go hiking here every year for the 6 years when we visit the PNW. Also visit 1st and 3rd beach. There is a local restaurant on La Push and if you are lucky enough to be in the area for the Quileute Days...fireworks and all

Tuesday, June 06, 2017

This was an easy, fun, relaxing hike. We did the hike on a weekday afternoon and it was not too crowded, but the crowds were increasing when we left at 5pm. There was a porta potty at the trailhead.

Tuesday, May 30, 2017

Two nights here was the highlight of our trip down the coast. We went during the week and missed the crowds.

Saturday, May 20, 2017

Beautiful place and plenty of parking

Thursday, April 27, 2017

Very peaceful and awesome beach.

Wednesday, March 08, 2017

Short hike (maybe cause I jogged it) but very eye opening once you make it down the sleek (it was snowing) steps...spits you right out on the beach...stacks to the right and second to the left are scalable and beautiful views from up top...it was hailing/snowing while I was on top of the stack with made it EPIC!!

Saturday, December 31, 2016

Short climb down to the beach, and then just run around the beach exploring. Beautiful. Not crowded at 8am on Saturday in December.

Wednesday, December 28, 2016

One of the most beautiful beaches I've ever laid eyes on. We've talked about flying back across the country solely to spend a couple weeks hiking the area. We were there in April and had beautiful sunshine, though per the locals it was the first sun they had seen in 13 days.

Saturday, November 26, 2016

We walked down to 2nd beach. It's a very easy hike with slight climbing.

Wednesday, August 24, 2016

Must see!!!! Good hike, not too hard! Worth the trip:) love love love this beach!

Tuesday, August 09, 2016

The actual trail is only .7 miles to the beach. The rest of the hike is South down the beach. It ends when you can't go any further because of the rocks and terrain. Basically where the beach ends. Still really pretty and a nice walk. Plan your trip durning low tide to see all the tide pools and little creatures living in them.

Tuesday, August 09, 2016

Very beautiful area, with the added bonus of a nice walk through the wood, (a few steps in the end before the beach, not a favorite of my wife), Arrived to late to explore the beach to much, but it did give us one of the most spectacular sunsets I have ever seen! (Don't forget you have to walk in the woods to get back to your car, make sure you have some kinda light, it got VERY dark in the woods after sunset)

Saturday, July 30, 2016

We were fogged in but it was still warm and beautiful and the kids played in the surf.

Thursday, June 23, 2016

Wonderful experience and great personal challenge to keep going.