Teneriffe Falls Trail

Teneriffe Falls Trail is a 7.5 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near North Bend, Washington that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is best used from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

I gave it 4 stars because of the last mile of rocks, the first 2 miles are easy with a nicely maintained path. The Falls are the highlight of this trail. If you go on the weekend get there early. We got there at 7:30, and the lot/bus turnaround was already filling up. Very popular hike as we passed a lot of people on our way back down. This trail is rated as "hard", not sure why unless it's because of the last mile. There are a few open areas not shaded by trees with nice views.

Hiked in the winter, not extremely tough in regards to elevation until you get to the last mile stretch to the top. Ledge is very thin so proceed at top with caution. Great views. Good amount of signage to keep on track

GOING UP
Like many have said, the first section of this hike to the falls is quite easy and very reasonable even with a dog. That's when the fun ends because the remaining 1/4 of the hike distance gains double the hike elevation. The part remaining after the falls is on par with mailbox and took me double the time to reach the summit. When I hiked there was snow obstructing the trail but once you reach that point it's all up hill.

GOING DOWN
I ended up lost going down as a result of the conditions but was able to find my way down the longer way which had quite a good amount of snow covering it. The long way down was an old logging road which has some great views of the valley as well as some interesting rock formations in the cut out walls. The long way down was much nicer on my knees but it did increase the total distance of the hike to near 12mi so be aware of that.

Awesome trail if you like going up in a hurry after the falls. It was my first time going to the top via this route. I have always in the past taken the logging roads to the top but it so far for a 5 pm trailhead start. This was an after work hike. It was a clear trail all the way to falls. Not too much more vert until we hit patchy snow, and then a crusted trail. There have been enough people up that there is steps kicked in frequently enough that you can make it up without traction. It was a full effort to make with our fully packed mountaineering packs in excess of 60 lbs. The top section, (est. last 300-400 verticle feet) we used our ice axes due to snow conditions and terrain features. If you had crampons or micro spikes you could probably get by. You would definitely need them coming back down. Due to the time element, we decided to don our snow shoes and go back down via the logging road. Much more snow on that side of the hill. Total time up was 3:15 hours and 2:30 hours return. Estimate about 12 total miles using this route. Probably could have saved some time if we would have put traction on but sometimes it's more fun to be a little more technical. Will be doing this trail quite frequently throughout winter as it appears a little less avalanche risk due to the terrain. Please take this as my observation and only my observation. I have never seen this trail in daylight, only under headlamps and during the conditions that I was presented with. I was very happy to be properly prepared with a full pack of equipment as we needed more than most trails in areas have required so far this season. I would say this is not the best trail for someone who would consider themselves not in shape. From the falls up, it is steep and depending on snow conditions, slippery making foot placement and concentration important. Equipment used, ice ax and snow shoes. Recommend having crampons or micro spikes if not packing too much weight depending on snow conditions.