Saturday, June 07, 2014

Friday 6-6-2014: My wife and I hiked Teanaway Ridge Trail. We parked our car at Iron Creek Trailhead. The trailhead is only 3 miles from US 97 highway near Blewett Pass on National Forest Road 9714. The forest road is a dirt road with typical potholes. No permit is required to park at the trailhead and there is no toilet.

We hiked about two miles on Iron Bear Trail #1351 to reach Iron Bear Pass at 4500 ft. We gained 800 ft. The grade is gentle and there were many wildflowers such as balsamroots, penstemons, paintbrushes, and forget-me-nots along the trail on the day we were there. At Iron Bear Pass, we turned to the right (north) to climb Teanaway Ridge Trail #1364 to an unnamed peak at 5489 ft. If you take the south fork of Teanaway Ridge Trail you would reach Red Top Trail in about 3 miles.

We hiked about 1.5 miles on Teanaway Ridge Trail to reach the summit. The grade got steeper and the view got more expansive. We were able to see Mount Rainier and Mount Stuart in distance and more wildflowers such as bitterroots, glacier lilies, and trilliums. We reached the summit in about 2 hours from the trailhead. The Teanaway Ridge Trail continues north about half a mile to descend 200 ft and connect to County Line Trail.

With so many flowers and great views of Mount Rainier and Mount Stuart it was certainly one of the most beautiful hiking trails I have ever been.