Tarbell Trail to Hidden Falls

Tarbell Trail to Hidden Falls is a 10.9 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Yacolt, Washington that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until June. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Went hiking up here mid afternoon in the summer and it was perfect.

Good hike trail is easy to follow and there are signs every mile so you can't get lost. I tracked my hike with Strava it casme out to be 10.6 miles not the 11.2 All trails says it to be . First 2 miles has the clear cut areas but then after that lots of tall trees and moss .

Hidden Falls is a gem and this trail is a good winter hike when the snow is above 2500 feet..

Sweet MTB Trail

Easy trail to follow. There is a lot of clear cut, but did enjoy this trail.

Great hike, wouldn't suggest wearing vibrume 5 finger show's like I did. however, the best of what the northwest has to offer.

I haven't done this trail for a couple years. I memorized the trail by sections of forest to clear cuts. They're was more forest than clear cuts. Section 2(the biggest patch of forest) was devastatingly cut down by like 80% it seems, and it seems to be continuing(according to the sign posted). I went out to go back to the trail that i've done more than 5 times and it was just so freaking sad to see the forest floor exposed, ripped up, and all plants dead from the sun. Insane amount of logging happening and I honestly don't know how people are enjoying walking thru this anymore now and giving it these 5 stars...its so tragic being in what it was to now:(

Amazing! Well kept trail, some beautiful views and the waterfall is one of the nicest I've seen yet. You must have a discovery pass to park! There's a number you can call that's posted in the parking lot for day/year pass.

Great hike, even better falls! Worth checking this one out for intermediate hikers.

Unfortunately I didn't have time to complete this hike, but I suspect I'll be back for it. The trail is dirt and pine needles and very low risk (which is a nice change of pace from the gorge on occasion). I even got in some running. Since I didn't get to the falls I can't say if they are magnificent or not, but the rest of the hike through the forest was very nice and peaceful.

As others mentioned, this does go in and out of some clear cut areas for the first couple miles, but it was still kind of interesting and didn't stretch on for so long at any point that I got tired of it.

We went with the dogs on 7/9. It was a beautiful hike with some pretty great views along the way. The trail had good signage that was easy to read but parts of the trail are starting to become over grown. Bring some bug spray!!

Good lightly used trail and probably one of the best marked I've come across.

11.2 miles round trip and the terrain is fairly consistent throughout. Was nice not having something all uphill or all downhill.

Did run across a brown bear as it ran across the logging road on the drive and a rabbit that had been freshly killed several miles down the trail.

Great hike! The first couple miles are through clear cuts, but after that, its lush green landscape. Well maintained, only saw 8 other people the whole hike. I did this one solo. Since it is in the middle of the woods, there are people shooting in the hills.

Lots of sweeping views of the hills, and a few glimpses of St Helens. The first few miles are heavily logged but the waterfall is worth the trek. Not crowded at all we had the whole trail to ourselves.

I really liked the ending to this trail. However we went on a Sunday and people were shooting. At one point we had to run because we didn't want to be shot  However the waterfall was VERY worth it.

Next to correctional facility. Waterfall is very pretty.

Wednesday, April 05, 2017

The walk itself was easy with elevation highs and lows throughout. Gorgeous waterfall at the end defiantly!!! The only reason for three stars is all the logged land around the trail. About 50% of the hike has logged visuals.

Friday, March 31, 2017

A little soggy in the first couple of miles and goes through a clear cut, but the rest of the hike was very enjoyable.

Monday, March 13, 2017

Totally worth it! Only a couple people besides us 4, views galore. Some snow still out there on the trails but not enough to deter us from that waterfall. Go outside and play!

Sunday, September 18, 2016

The trail was in good shape, seemed like it was well used. The hike takes you through varied terrain, from clear cuts, old growth forest and finally at the end a beautiful falls. There are great views as well. The trail is well marked and easy to follow.

Wednesday, September 07, 2016

Allie B. it's about 6 miles to waterfall. From tarbell trailhead to hidden falls. about 13 total out and back.

Wednesday, September 07, 2016

long nice moderate hike. Alot of logging to look at, little disappointed but it got better. the waterfall was wonderful to see and great lunch spot.

Thursday, August 11, 2016

Tony dangerfield is that you, from Camas who works in the school district??? Hahaha I'm hoping to possibly hike here this weekend but I'm curious how many miles it is to the actual waterfall. If anyone could let me know, thank you'

Tuesday, August 09, 2016

Addie I really think you went to the wrong trail head. Larch is a loop with several entrance points I was up there Sat/Sun and last Tues and I didn't see what you're describing. The trail head is closest to Dole Mtn Road.

Tuesday, August 09, 2016

First two miles a fair amount of climbing but then it's all fun rollers to Hidden Falls. Roots and rocks but nothing larger than 12"

Sunday, August 07, 2016

Hiked this yesterday, just my little dog and I.

GPS had the trailhead all kinds of wrong. If you go up past Larch Mountain Prison, hit that gravel road and then the trailhead is the parking lot about 6 miles up. Small sign not readable from road marks trail.

Trail is AMAZING. It starts you through the fields of the cut tress that are beginning to get new growth, then drops you next to the creek where you slowly start to climb.

Here where I hit a bit of a "problem." There is a part of the trail that is closed with huge Detour signs. It sends you straight up climbing away from the creek. I suspect that closed trail would have taken me to the falls. So, I never saw any falls... Or maybe I didn't walk far enough up the detour...

I followed the detour up and up and up through amazing forests, more meadows of the cut trees, and amazing vistas. The "up" didn't feel too difficult although I am in fairly good shape. I only saw a total of 5 mountain bikers my entire journey. I wonder if they rode their bikes up that?!

I hiked about 5.5 miles up past a beautiful scenic area with a picnic table that I wondered how in the world they got there. I turned around as it was getting late in the afternoon and the area I was in had no sign of any kind of water nearby.

I will have to return there and see where the closed trail takes me! Hopefully to the beautiful hidden falls!

Wednesday, July 06, 2016

my kiddo(age 9) couldn't make it all the way so i can't wait to try again maybe without kids lol

Tuesday, June 21, 2016

We took our kids (ages 9&11) on this one to help get them conditioned for the peak hiking season.
The first mile is a mild uphill climb. The rest of the hike is a very gradual uphill hike until about one mile before the falls. At this point you'll hit several downhill switchbacks which are easy enough to traverse.
The falls are beautiful and my kids really enjoyed them. The hike back up the switchbacks led to a bit of complaining and a tick bite on my son, but other than that a pretty easy hike.
It took us about five hours from the time we stepped on the trail until we got back to the truck, that included about 40 minutes at the falls for lunch. Only ran into a handful of other folks, but this was on a rainy Saturday in April.

Saturday, May 21, 2016

This hike is where the goddess of nature would live. It's so GREEN. You can hear every bird chirping and every rustle of leaves. It is one of the most heavenly places I have ever been to.

Saturday, April 30, 2016

I love this hike and its not traveled by many folks. You feel and hear everything while out. Plan for an all day hike if planing to do this one.