Tamanous Trail to PCT & Gillette Lake

Tamanous Trail to PCT & Gillette Lake is a 7.1 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near North Bonneville, Washington that offers the chance to see wildlife and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Hiking to Gillette Lake via the Tamanous Trail shortcut out of the Bonneville Dam parking log.

Dog review: Took two of my dogs in December. It was a fun hike, with lots of PCT intersections near the loop part. We got a little off track, but glad I had my All Trails map (on phone), it was easy to right ourselves. Little frosty snow since we went early, the dogs loved it. Nice and easy on the knees since not a lot of elevation and only saw 2 other groups the whole hike. The lake is neat, but my favorite part was near where we got lost in the loop area. Definitely will be back to explore and off-shoot that connects to the PCT and has a little bridge that leads to some nice ridge views - sometimes getting lost is beneficial lol. Took the dogs and I just a couple hours. Pretty wide paths the whole time with minimal rock scramble, so nice on dog paws. Trail was so fast and there was so much water around we didn’t need to get into the dog pack for water at all.

I loved this hike. You’ll love it too if you seek to get away from city noise, all you hear for 7 miles is creaking trees and birds. I saw maybe two other people on a cool Saturday mid morning which says a lot about foot traffic. The lake is a nice resting place, clear and beautiful.

I was pleasantly surprised to find this hike not too bad compared to Saddle Mt. The rewarding part is arriving at Gillette Lake to cool down at. Plenty of blackberries we found along the way & beautiful flowers. Be careful of the bees though- make sure you don’t wear anything perfume/fragrance on your body- They will think you are a flower. Plenty of shaded spots in case you need to rest & nice camp grounds to find. If you bring your dog- check their pads after the trail. They get scuffed up easily due to gravel/rock. Next time I think I will camp there. It’s such a peaceful trail and not crowded.

This is a great hike with some rugged terrain. Great views. Lots of varied parts of the trail in/out of the sun. When it feels like you are in the middle of a wasteland, you’re almost to the lake. Easy trail to the water to sit for a snack.

Trail head starts off at N. Bonneville and after about .5 miles you can take either a right to go to the bridge of the gods or left to head to Gillette lake. We headed to the lake first and back to the trail seperation which totaled about 5 miles and went ahead and completed it by following the Trail of the Gods trail where I was picked up across the Bridge. All the trails were easy but offer nice views of the mountains. Bridge of the Gods trail was lacking in views and followed a power line so it was less than thrilling but the walk over the bridge was invigorating. Watch our of poison oak! It was everywhere. I totaled 7 miles exactly doing it this way.

This is a very easy trail that has a nice variation of scenery. Most of the hike is through clear-cut, which is kind of depressing. However the clear-cut makes for nice views and good exposure if the sun is out. My GPS clocked this hike as 7.7 miles if you follow the route marked on this listing. There is supposedly an overlook somewhere in the area, called Greenleaf, but we did not find it. It does not seem to be on the route mapped here. Trail was pretty muddy. Lakes are pretty. Nice views of the dam and mountains around. The lack of extreme vertical on this trail would make it good for trail running. Although it is kind of rocky. Totally worth the hike despite the clear-cut.

Sunday, November 19, 2017

Interesting scenery, surroundings change from damp forest to rocky meadows, then the beautiful lake.

Friday, October 27, 2017

I stumbled upon this trail connection after stopping at Bonneville to let the pups out to potty. What a nice little surprise, getting to run on the PCT and see the change in scenery from forest to desert type landscape. The lake at the end, added bonus! My total mileage was 5.4 vs the 7+ mentioned above so maybe I needed to circle the lake to get that mileage.

All in all a very well kept trail, with great sections for running free.

Saturday, January 13, 2018