Tamanous Trail to PCT & Gillette Lake [CLOSED]

moderateYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarYellow StarGray StarGray Star(47)
North Bonneville, Washington

Tamanous Trail to PCT & Gillette Lake is a 11.9 kilometer moderately trafficked loop trail located near North Bonneville, Washington that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Distance: 11.9 km Elevation Gain: 376 m Route Type: Loop

closed

This trail is experiencing full or partial closure due to COVID-19. Please see the open trails nearby for alternate hiking options. Hiking to Gillette Lake via the Tamanous Trail shortcut out of the Bonneville Dam parking log.

trail and trailhead closed due to COVID signs from Police threaten arrest for hiking

fee

Gillette lake is super pretty. We went all the way to Kidney lake but wasn’t impressed after we continued onto the second & third lake. Lots of logging forest roads weaving throughout under all the power lines.

Not sure why this is rated an Easy hike, it's got good elevation and you really have to watch your footing in some parts. Also, it's definitely longer than 7.1 miles. Using the All Trails app, I clocked 8.3 miles total. Overall a good hike though, strenuous at times but awesome to get to walk along the iconic PCT!

Great fall hike. We started about noon; plenty of parking. The trail is in the trees but with peaks of views. We saw a few hiking couples, but in general the trail was pretty quiet. Got a couple of miles on the iconic PCT! The trail is easy to follow, narrow with plenty of roots and rocks that I would think should earn in a moderate rating, rather than easy. We clocked 8.9 miles total. Dog friendly space; we saw four including a Poodle and a Pomeranian that did just fine. We had lunch at a campsite near the footbridge on the way back. A very pleasant hike.

Great day out and about with the dogs, Gillette lake and small creeks, to help cool them off.

Sat Apr 13 2019

This trail was a fun trail for being in the drier area. There is lots of open space to enjoy the sun but lots of rock quarry area with power line views. Easier trail but has sections that are a little rocky where it’s easier to roll an ankle. It wasn’t too busy but we did pass a fair amount of people. Lots of gravel road crossings. We did this hike on 03/30/2019.

Fri Mar 29 2019

Fun trail to some secluded lakes, definitely was not expecting to have a close encounter with 3 cougars on the trail back to the trailhead though. Be aware of your surroundings especially around dawn and dusk! 3-28-19

Thu Mar 14 2019

I was looking for a lower elevation hike for mid March since there is still snow an ice at the higher elevations. I was not expecting much but this turned out to be perfect with some nice views of Table Mountain and Sacagawea Rocks. There are some wires and some rock mining but there are also some nice hiking in the trees. I would do this again when I am looking for something not too strenuous. I took lots of photos and my dog loved it.

Thu Jan 03 2019

Dog review: Took two of my dogs in December. It was a fun hike, with lots of PCT intersections near the loop part. We got a little off track, but glad I had my All Trails map (on phone), it was easy to right ourselves. Little frosty snow since we went early, the dogs loved it. Nice and easy on the knees since not a lot of elevation and only saw 2 other groups the whole hike. The lake is neat, but my favorite part was near where we got lost in the loop area. Definitely will be back to explore and off-shoot that connects to the PCT and has a little bridge that leads to some nice ridge views - sometimes getting lost is beneficial lol. Took the dogs and I just a couple hours. Pretty wide paths the whole time with minimal rock scramble, so nice on dog paws. Trail was so fast and there was so much water around we didn’t need to get into the dog pack for water at all.

Sat Aug 11 2018

I loved this hike. You’ll love it too if you seek to get away from city noise, all you hear for 7 miles is creaking trees and birds. I saw maybe two other people on a cool Saturday mid morning which says a lot about foot traffic. The lake is a nice resting place, clear and beautiful.

Sat Jul 21 2018

I was pleasantly surprised to find this hike not too bad compared to Saddle Mt. The rewarding part is arriving at Gillette Lake to cool down at. Plenty of blackberries we found along the way & beautiful flowers. Be careful of the bees though- make sure you don’t wear anything perfume/fragrance on your body- They will think you are a flower. Plenty of shaded spots in case you need to rest & nice camp grounds to find. If you bring your dog- check their pads after the trail. They get scuffed up easily due to gravel/rock. Next time I think I will camp there. It’s such a peaceful trail and not crowded.

Thu Jul 19 2018

This is a great hike with some rugged terrain. Great views. Lots of varied parts of the trail in/out of the sun. When it feels like you are in the middle of a wasteland, you’re almost to the lake. Easy trail to the water to sit for a snack.

Sat Jul 07 2018

Trail head starts off at N. Bonneville and after about .5 miles you can take either a right to go to the bridge of the gods or left to head to Gillette lake. We headed to the lake first and back to the trail seperation which totaled about 5 miles and went ahead and completed it by following the Trail of the Gods trail where I was picked up across the Bridge. All the trails were easy but offer nice views of the mountains. Bridge of the Gods trail was lacking in views and followed a power line so it was less than thrilling but the walk over the bridge was invigorating. Watch our of poison oak! It was everywhere. I totaled 7 miles exactly doing it this way.

Sun Mar 04 2018

This is a very easy trail that has a nice variation of scenery. Most of the hike is through clear-cut, which is kind of depressing. However the clear-cut makes for nice views and good exposure if the sun is out. My GPS clocked this hike as 7.7 miles if you follow the route marked on this listing. There is supposedly an overlook somewhere in the area, called Greenleaf, but we did not find it. It does not seem to be on the route mapped here. Trail was pretty muddy. Lakes are pretty. Nice views of the dam and mountains around. The lack of extreme vertical on this trail would make it good for trail running. Although it is kind of rocky. Totally worth the hike despite the clear-cut.

Sun Nov 19 2017

Interesting scenery, surroundings change from damp forest to rocky meadows, then the beautiful lake.

Fri Oct 27 2017

I stumbled upon this trail connection after stopping at Bonneville to let the pups out to potty. What a nice little surprise, getting to run on the PCT and see the change in scenery from forest to desert type landscape. The lake at the end, added bonus! My total mileage was 5.4 vs the 7+ mentioned above so maybe I needed to circle the lake to get that mileage. All in all a very well kept trail, with great sections for running free.