Talus Loop Trail

Talus Loop Trail is a 3.7 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near North Bend, Washington that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

Fun trail! It's definitely heavily trafficked on the Mt. Si portion and lightly on the loop portion. Don't forget your Discover Pass either. You're supposed to have one to park your car. Trail is dog friendly.

Escape the crowds with this shorter, easier, and less crowded, Mt. Si detour. To start, venture .7 miles on the popular Mt. Si trail, then veer off on this 1.3 mile nearly-deserted loop. There is enough elevation gain to still have a great workout, a rockslide "talus" area affords great valley views and creates the perfect midway lunch spot, and forest primeval which gives Jurassic Park a run for its money. The elevation is such that you will miss much of the snow from higher on the Si trail, making it a great year-round option.

For years I have seen the signs for "Talus Loop" while on the Si trail. Do yourself a favor and take the path less travel.

+ Beautiful forest trails.
+ Refreshingly free of crowds
+ Still a good workout, without being overly difficult

— Discovery Pass Required
— Mt. Si portion of trail is crowded
— Far too many people with off leash dogs (not cool) on the Mt. Si portion of the trail.

WEATHER REPORT: MARCH 4, 2017Trail in great shape. Some minor mud, light snow falling, no crampons required. Waterproof shoes or boots would be a good idea, but not necessary.

Nice view mid way through. Not a whole lot of traffic once you're off of the Mt. Si foot highway haha I'd do it again

Nice alternative to mt si. Did this with some snow on the ground and the views were beautiful. Little slippery down the main trail but def worth it.

Thursday, April 21, 2016

Thursday, January 01, 2015

Short loop trail off the popular Mt. Si trail. Not really a destination in it's own right, this can be an add on to your Mt. Si hike.

Monday, October 06, 2014

As inexperienced hikers (me at age 69 and not so good shape; my wife 67 and in good shape) we decided to take a hike on a beautiful sunny October day. Googled some local, close hikes and we decided on Mt. Si trail, as seemed closest and quick notes said it was most popular in area. Neither of us were prepared for THIS hike. We got a late start and luckily something mentioned needing a Discover Pass which took me a while to get on-line and print (one day pass is $11.50 incl. tax and will not be mailed so need to be able to print it out). Getting to and parking was simple, as large lot was about 1/2 full. We had water and trail running style running shoes, wearing shorts and layered shirt/wind breaker clothing. Needless to say, we had not done our research on this hike/climb and 1.5 hours into it came to a clearing roughly 2 miles up and took a rest stop. Sign post said 2.3 miles to top and another sign saying Talus Loop Trail (1.7 miles). We had seen the Talus Loop trail sign back on the Mt Si trail, but did not think any thing about it at the time. Since it took us 1.5 hours to reach this point and thinking at least that until reaching the top, and the time being 3:30 PM, decided either to turn around (kind of a defeatist attitude which neither of us were comfortable with) or take the Talus Loop Trail 'back down' - new scenery, likely decline -vs.- "killer" incline of Mt Si Trail at that point. My point of these comments is to alert others of this very nice and totally different topography/scenic trail. Also came across one viewpoint while crossing a rock slide area that offered a breathtaking view East of the I-90 corridor, Truck Town and forest covered vistas as far as you could see. Path was not nearly as rocky as Mt Si nor as steep and I am guessing with Mt. Si to the point where we took Talus, the round trip to be approx. 4 miles. We did that in 3 hours. Our only bummer was that we "did not make the summit". With better preparation, etc..., next time we will. However, I do hope others enjoy this beautiful little Talus Loop Trail. Should not be overlooked.

Monday, August 11, 2014

Sunday, July 13, 2014

Saturday, June 15, 2013

Sunday, July 22, 2012

Thursday, June 28, 2012

If you don't want to do Mt. Si try this. I think the listed elevation is over doing it, I think it's closer to 1350. Start up the Mount Si trail and go to the second trail maker for Talus loop. The loop trail makes you feel like your in a whole different eco-system compared to the main Mt. Si trail. It was a beautiful day with a view of just the top of Mount Rainier in the distance. Go early and beat the rush.

Wednesday, May 16, 2012