Talapus, Olallie and Pratt Lake

Talapus, Olallie and Pratt Lake is a 10.6 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near North Bend, Washington that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and bird watching and is best used from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 10.6 miles Elevation Gain: 2,381 feet Route Type: Out & Back

icy

Great hike past multiple amazing lakes. We only ended up doing Talapus and Olallie lakes which ended up being around 8 miles. Elevation change is gradual over the hike, so it's a pretty easy hike to complete. We saw multiple families and groups with smaller dogs so this trail should be completable by most people. Just a warning that hunters do use the trail as well. We saw a hunter just past Olallie lake (on the north end) so keep an eye out. Both Talapus and Olallie lakes are very clear and beautiful this time of year! The trail was a bit muddy because it had rained a few days before but the temperatures had dropped so low that the mud had frozen over (it is soooo satisfying to walk on icy mud, haha). I would definitely recommend doing this trail, just check the temperatures and dress accordingly because it can get quite cold!

A really pleasant 5 hour hike. Got in around 11 just as folks were heading out so I got a spot in the lot! I think the trails around Ollalie lake are the best. Getting down to Pratt is a bit steep and gets a little rocky. Didn’t have too much trouble with bugs but they did show up occasionally.

My wife and I absolutely loved our time hiking to these three lakes. We didn’t make it all the way to Pratt Lake, but went down the ridge until we had a good view of the basin before stopping to eat and turning around to head back. Alpine lakes are our favorite so seeing several on one hike is hard to beat. We’ll definitely be back! Between having the all trails map downloaded and the signage at the trail intersections, navigating was a breeze and the trail was in good condition throughout (although there were a few soft/muddy spots). The only negative for us was the presence of bugs, but they were only a minor annoyance. We felt like we had flies buzzing around us for a lot of the hike but if we had brought bug spray we probably would have been fine.

Easy trail. Got there at 8am and parking lot was full. However it felt like my own enchanted forest since there were no hikers heading up just downhill. One requires a national forest pass and one can be purchased for $5 at the trail. The two lakes were beautiful, however no major views. The trail is very muddy, waterproof books are recommended.

Good shade most of the hike. It’s a little muddy in places, but drying. Trail on west side of Olallie Lake is hard to find on north side of lake, especially on the way back. It’s also worth going the extra 1/2 mile to Lower Tuscohatchie Lake from Pratt Lake.

My friend and I hiked the trail on May 12th 2019. There is about a 2 mile drive up gravel road to the parking lot which can hold about 20 cars. I don’t have 4WD and my car was able to go up no problem. We started on the trail at 12 and got to the first lake at around 1:15ish but we did stop for a few minutes to drink water and look at nature. The path to the first lake is in excellent condition, but on the way to the second and third lake we hit really bad snow that was up to our hips. Pretty unsafe even with equipment. My advice just stop at the first lake and walk around there it’s in great shape but hike with extreme caution after that. The trail is fairly do-able even if you’re not the most inshape person. Most of it is a small to medium incline with straight stretches in between. Other than that, excellent hike beautiful scenery, well maintained and marked. Total time to compete 7 miles of the hike was about 4 hours (included lunch breaks and stops)

Sun Jul 22 2018

3 lakes! little elevation, very shaded and gradual incline.

Sun Jun 03 2018

Today, I brought my buddy Dean back so we could make another stab at Pratt Lake. Not only did we make it but we barely found any snow leftover on the trail. There is one large tree to cross when you hit the flats down by Pratt Lake but you can climb over it without too much issue. Other than that the trail is in great shape with the exception of a few muddy spots here and there, typical for this time of year. Distance-wise, my phone recorded it to be 13.4 miles round trip from the trail head to the split on the far side of the lake. Very beautiful today with all the new spring growth. The green was as green as it gets!

Tue May 29 2018

I wanted to see if I could at least make it to the saddle to look over to see how cleared out Pratt Lake looks but due to time constraints I had to turn back about a quarter mile shy of the saddle. I will be back though. I started hitting pretty solid snow as I was rounding the ridge on the east side of Olallie Lake. But that will clear out soon!

Sat Aug 12 2017

Not a ton to see, just wooded trails mile after mile. We did all three lakes, which were nice and offered a couple alpine views, but we've seen nicer lakes in BC. Also, very crowded!! Passing group after group of people with zero hiking etiquette. I wouldn't hike it again; there are nicer views for the time and effort required.

Sun Jul 09 2017

Awesome hike! 3 beautiful lakes and great mountain views. Nice view of Rainier also. Gentle climb 11 miles roundtrip hitting all 3 lakes. Trail maintenance currently in progress. Beautiful wildflowers