Talapus Lake Trail

Talapus Lake Trail is a 2.6 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Snoqualmie Pass, Washington that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, camping, nature trips, and bird watching and is best used from May until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Distance: 2.6 miles Elevation Gain: 646 feet Route Type: Out & Back

beach

Please note: road to trailhead may close seasonally. Please check prior to your visit. Northwest Forest Pass and Alpine Lakes Wilderness Permit required, both available at the trailhead.

Great view of the snowy lake and awesome hike! You can make it up to the trail head, past the road closed signs. It was snowing, so it would be a hood idea to have 4x4 or good traction tires. Pretty muddy/ watery for the first 100ft or so.

icy

After getting off the freeway, we found that the road leading to the trail head was closed, but because the signs were far enough apart we were able to drive though. The drive up had several pot holes but was still manageable. The last 0.2 miles before getting to the trail head was a bit snowy and icy, so we parked of the side of the road and walked the rest of the way. Others however did drive all the way up, so it is doable. Now the hike! The first bit of the trail was a little swamped but don’t let that stop you because it only last for about 3 minutes. at around the 1 mile mark, the trail became snowy. We had yak tracks, but our hiking boots did fine. Over all the trail was pretty easy to follow, and the view was amazing! As long as you dress with layers, it is definitely worth it! P.s. the recording ended early so I am note sure how long it was round trip but somewhere around 3.5 miles

icy

Beautiful easy trail with a scenic payoff. If you’re short on time and want to bust a nice hike this one is worth it! I did it on 11/26 and there was quite a bit of snow about Halfway up. No special equipment necessary just some good boots. Road and trail are in good shape, enjoy!

beautiful hike! the road up was a little rough, but not bad. I wouldn't suggest a little car in the snow though. the trail was gorgeous and not too hard/long. at points you could see the river and you could hear it almost always! make sure you bring some birdseed/nuts to feed the whiskey jacks! no snow yet :)

Great trail. Very easy to hike. Elevation is soft and slow. I took my German Shepherd and we could have done it a few times. Note the loop is if you walk around Ollie Lake. The gravel road to the trail is full of potholes and all up hill. If there’s snow I suggest a car with 4 wheel drive.

Beautiful, even in the poring rain!! Great for all skill levels. Recommend waterproof gear and boots. Hiked this on a Thursday 10/17 less than 10 people on the trail. Very tranquil

I loved this hike. I saw some reviews saying the trail is boring, but now that its fall and the rains have started, the trail is beautifully green with moss and other plants. I arrived at the trailhead about 8:30am on Sun 9/29/19. There were only 4 cars in the lot when I arrived but the lot was full by the time I made it back about 10:15. This was a nice quick hike, on the easy side of moderate, perfect for a morning before other activities. The trail is a bit muddy and due to the build up on pine needles, the mud, and the rains we have had, it can get a little slippery, especially on the way down. It's not easy to find the turn down to the lake access, once you see the lake there are a couple of root/bramble paths down. There is no beach, just a build up a wet logs to stand on to view the lake at the waters edge. The lake is beautiful. This weekend was the first snow and the snow line was just above the lake so the fall colors with the snow was gorgeous.

Wasn't really all that great of a hike, but easy enough for kids and dog walkers. Would actually label as easy.

Pretty hike through the mossy forests, I didn’t notice any bugs and didn’t wear spray. Dog friendly, but I would not advise if your dog likes to swim. The lake isn’t very accessible. Get there early, as the parking lot only holds about 30 vehicles.

Did this trail with our pup and made it decent pace. Took us about an hour to get to Talapus. Lots of kids and other doggos on the trail so it can be busy on the weekends. go early. The road to the trail head is slow going and parking runs out pretty quick.

Perfect trail and beautiful, pristine lake. Not sure if there’s better access to the water than the deadfall I climbed over, but it was worth it for a swim.

Great, easy trail for a morning hike. Most of the trail was in the shade, and even though the parking lot (and beyond) was full, the trail didn't feel crowded. Beautiful view of the lake at the end!

Road to the parking lot is not very well maintained, small potholes on the road. Trail is very well maintained and beautiful. Mostly under the shades. Lake is beautiful

It was fun. Took our Frenchie Monty (he’s quite the hiker) and it was definitely as described - moderate to easy. Arrived about 11:00am and there’s plenty of parking on the road leading up to the trailhead/parking lot.

The trail is well maintained, fairly easy. It was a little muddy. The lake view is beautiful. Loved the feeling sitting on the wood, enjoying the view and the sun. I would do it again.

Just to be aware that the road off the I-90 (exit45) is closed. If you want to go to this lake, take the exit 47 and do the walk called “Talapus lake trail via Pratt lake trail”

Mon Dec 10 2018

trail in great condition. no snow or mud. weather was sunny.

Tue Oct 23 2018

Very nice trail. Going there is uphill and coming back is downhill. View of the lake is beautiful and very relaxing. Trail itself is not difficult and while there is a 1.8 mile uphill hike, the trail itself is very comfortable and easy to walk on. Lots of kids and dogs. Highly recommend.

Tue Sep 25 2018

A beautiful, easy fall hike. We arrived around 9am on a rainy Saturday and the trail was relatively empty; found a quiet spot next to the lake to snack and hang out. By the time we hiked out, around 11:30, the parking lot was full and there were a steady number of hikers. As with most trails ... get there early! We definitely plan to return for an overnight trip.

Sat Sep 01 2018

Nice easy hike. We continued another 1.5 miles to the second lake.

Sun Aug 26 2018

Great easy hike. The map does not show the lake, but it’s there and nicely refreshing.

Tue Aug 14 2018

Beautiful Loved it

Wed Jul 18 2018

Pretty lake. Easy hike, lots of roots but the trail is easy to follow.